At the Sierra Club, we believe in the power of interdependence and togetherness. Together, we remain committed to the fight for a healthy climate built on a foundation of environmental, racial, economic, and gender justice – a future where all people benefit from a healthy, thriving planet and a direct connection to nature. As the climate crisis and deeply entrenched systemic racism all fuel injustice, we will continue to fight for a bold, transformational agenda that recognizes the interconnectedness between our planet, our humanity, and our future. By recognizing that our destinies are tied, we continue to name that all things are fundamentally connected, and the overlap between ecology, race, gender, and representative government will move to either advance our collective humanity or to oppress it. Sierra Club has close to 800 staff across the country and a network of 64 local chapters that are led and fueled by thousands of volunteers. We are also proud to be a unionized employer, with three labor unions representing more than half of our employees.
Job Title: Monthly Giving Manager
Department: Membership and Direct Marketing
Reports To: Managing Director, Membership Acquisition
Context: At the Sierra Club, we believe in the power of togetherness. Together, we remain committed to the fight for a healthy climate built on a foundation of environmental, racial, economic, and gender justice – a future where all people benefit from a healthy, thriving planet and a direct connection to nature. As the climate crisis and deeply entrenched systemic racism all fuel inequity, we will continue to fight for a bold, transformational agenda that recognizes the interconnectedness between our planet, our humanity, and our democracy. By recognizing that our destinies are tied, we continue to name that all things are fundamentally connected, and the overlap between ecology, race, gender, and representative government will move to either advance our collective humanity or to oppress it.
Sierra Club is comprised of staff across the country and a network of local chapters that support our grassroots engagement. We are also proud to be a unionized employer, with two labor unions representing more than half of our employees.
Scope: The Monthly Giving Manager is essential in the growth of Membership and Direct Marketing. This individual will oversee the logistics of a comprehensive monthly donor acquisition program. The Monthly Giving Manager will collaborate with internal and external partners to implement emerging channels for sustainer acquisition such as Face to Face (canvass) and Connected TV. This individual will also assist with other activities that support Wilderness Guardians, our monthly giving society.
Job activities include but are not limited to
- Manage the day-to-day operations of a new Face to Face (canvass) program: ensuring gifts are processed and all logistics run smoothly. Serve as liaison with canvassing vendor(s) on all operational and logistical aspects.
- Manage ongoing training of canvassers, including organizing briefings, providing Sierra Club information to canvassers on a regular basis and other training activities as needed.
- Monitors and reports on progress to budget, and retention of canvass-acquired Wilderness Guardians. Work closely with internal and external partners to optimize canvass program for long-term value
- Works in collaboration with Managing Director, Membership Acquisition on development of canvass strategy, including scripts, location and offers
- In charge of invoice management and financial tracking for the Wilderness Guardian programs. Keeps track of variances to budget in assigned programs, and ensures that all invoices are correctly coded.
- Manage day-to-day operations of the Wilderness Guardians program including: ensuring all gifts from different channels are processed, and monitoring the monthly donor email box and answering questions from donors.
- Work in collaboration with Managing Director, Membership Acquisition on new Wilderness Guardian acquisition channels. Assist with research into new opportunities and lead operational aspects of implementation
- Help with logistics of all Wilderness Guardian telemarketing programs including acquisition, conversion and upgrade campaigns
- Assist with Wilderness Guardian cultivation and stewardship activities including acknowledgements, newsletters and other outreach
- Participate in ongoing professional development to stay abreast of emerging trends and technology in direct response and cross-channel marketing and fundraising best practices
- Other duties as assigned
Job activities include but are not limited to
- Face to Face (Canvass) Experience. Working with vendors on a street or door canvass program, optimized for long term value.
- Experience in direct response fundraising, membership programs, monthly giving programs, or donor relations.
- Strong written and oral communication skills. Ability to work with other departments and outside vendors. Strong proofreading skills and writing skills
- Computer Literacy. Ability to work in Word, Excel, Salesforce and PowerPoint. (Experience with a CRM like Salesforce is a plus)
- Uplifting and additive: You recognize mistakes as opportunities for growth; problems as catalysts for solutions, and inspire others along the journey. You bring a constructive approach, can-do attitude, a sense of humor, and authentic kindness wherever you go.
The strongest candidates will also demonstrate the following experience, skills and competencies:
- Knowledge of the Sierra Club and/or the environmental justice landscape.
- Demonstrated strong organizational, analytical, and proofreading skills.
- Ability to prioritize and work on a wide variety of programs with competing deadlines.
- Experience working with outbound telemarketing vendors. This could include budgeting, monitoring calling performance, working with state registrations, or reporting on performance for various non-profit campaigns.
Compensation and Benefits:
The salary range for this position is $80,000- $85,000
This position is represented by a collective bargaining unit and is subject to the terms and conditions of the contract between Sierra Club and Progressive Workers Union or Sierra Employee Alliance, depending on location.
The Sierra Club offers a competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan.
This is a category 5, non-exempt, represented position.
The Sierra Club provides equal employment and advancement opportunities to all staff members. Employment decisions are based on merit, qualifications, lived experience and skills. The Sierra Club does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, immigration status, socioeconomic status, ancestry, age, size, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, familial status, veteran status, disability, AIDS/HIV status, medical condition, prior conviction, arrest history, traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The Sierra Club values applicants who are people that identify as Black, Indigenous, and other minoritized groups; women; queer, transgender, gender non-conforming, and gender fluid people.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.