Climate and Clean Energy Organizer
Rochester, MN, United States
30+ days ago
Job Title: Climate and Clean Energy Organizer – Rochester / SE Minnesota
Department: North Star Chapter
Location: Rochester, Minnesota. This position requires an ability to travel.
Reports To: State Director
Context: At the Sierra Club, we believe in the power of togetherness. Together, we remain committed to the fight for a healthy climate built on a foundation of environmental, racial, economic, and gender justice – a future where all people benefit from a healthy, thriving planet and a direct connection to nature. As the climate crisis and deeply entrenched systemic racism all fuel inequity, we will continue to fight for a bold, transformational agenda that recognizes the interconnectedness between our planet, our humanity, and our democracy. By recognizing that our destinies are tied, we continue to name that all things are fundamentally connected, and the overlap between ecology, race, gender, and representative government will move to either advance our collective humanity or to oppress it. Sierra Club is comprised of staff across the country and a network of local chapters that support our grassroots engagement. We are also proud to be a unionized employer, with two labor unions representing more than half of our employees.
Scope: The Climate and Clean Energy Organizer builds grassroots power by recruiting, engaging, and motivating people to take repeated action which will further Sierra Club's targeted campaign or program goals; developing volunteer leadership; and builds alliances and networks.
This position will work in Rochester, Minnesota and the surrounding region to advance climate justice and a 100% clean, equitable energy future. The organizer will work in close collaboration with volunteer leadership, partner organizations, and Sierra Club chapter and national staff in Minnesota. Heavier seasonal workloads may occur during peak activity periods. Frequent weekend and/or evening work required.
Valid driver's license, satisfactory driving record, and proof of auto insurance required.
Job activities include but are not limited to:
- With support from and collaboration with Minnesota staff and volunteer leaders, designs and implements organizing strategy for winning local climate and clean energy campaigns, and advancing climate goals at the state level.
- Identifies and develops volunteer leaders to join or lead work as part of a team; creates inclusive, equitable spaces; and builds the Sierra Club's grassroots base, power and networks. Helps those leaders succeed by training and coaching them on how to strategize, organize, inspire, motivate, plan and facilitate meetings and events. Supports volunteers in developing and applying an equity and racial justice lens across all work.
- Seeks opportunities to advance the Sierra Club's equity, inclusion and justice commitments through new partnerships and public engagement strategies. Guided by the Jemez principles for democratic organizing, builds alliances and solidarity with communities most impacted by climate change.
- Develops "grasstop" networks and cultivates relationships with local public officials. Communicates Sierra Club positions to elected officials and administrative agencies.
- Represents and/or supports volunteer leaders in representing Sierra Club in coalitions that foster strong relationships to advance shared climate and equity goals and build power.
- Plans and recruits for engagement and base-building activities including phone banks, public events, door-to-door outreach, and maintaining lists and databases of campaign activists and supporters.
- With support from staff and volunteer team, coordinates communications to advance campaign goals including action alerts, social media, and obtaining media coverage in local and regional media outlets.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as assigned.
The successful candidate must have the following skills and experiences:
- Community organizing. You have experience working with community members toward a shared goal, specifically applying pressure on decision-makers through advocacy tactics.
- Teamwork. You excel at working collaboratively with others using democratic decision-making.
- Strong demonstrated written and oral communication skills. You are comfortable leading group discussions, motivating people to take action, and establishing shared understanding and expectations.
- Demonstrated ability to train, motivate, and work effectively with volunteers.
- Equity Analysis and Practice - awareness of their group identities and how they have shaped their life and experiences at work; possess an analysis of how racism and other forms of oppression in society impact relationships, systems and culture; bring experience and skills for working effectively with colleagues across group identities and position/role.
The strongest candidates will also demonstrate the following experience, skills and competencies:
- Knowledge of climate, energy systems, local utilities or related issues.
- Relationships with Minnesota organizations working on climate, clean energy or other progressive issues.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $59,000 to $63,000.
This position is represented by a collective bargaining unit and is subject to the terms and conditions of the contract between Sierra Club and Progressive Workers Union.
The Sierra Club offers a competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan.
This is a category 5 exempt, represented position.
Sierra Club is a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization. Sierra Club employees are not eligible to participate in the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program.
Sierra Club values the expertise and talents of foreign nationals. Sierra Club sponsors both nonimmigrant and immigrant visas when certain criteria are met, based on immigration laws and organizational needs. Such sponsorship is at the discretion of the Department Head and Sierra Club Human Resources in consultation with the employee's manager. The Sierra Club cannot guarantee the approval of a visa petition. The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
This position does not have an undergraduate education requirement. If you choose to include your education history, please remove your schools from your resume. You may leave your degree (e.g., "B.A. Philosophy"), but please remove any undergraduate and graduate school names.
This anonymous process is aimed at opening this opportunity to more candidates, reviewing applicants on performance assessments and mitigating bias in the decision-making process. Lastly, we are intentionally not asking for a cover letter, so please do not send one in with your application.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.