Senior Program Specialist - Chapter Digital Strategies
30+ days ago
Job Title: Senior Program Specialist - Chapter Digital Strategies
Department: Digital Strategies
Location: Remote (anywhere in the US)
Reports To: Associate Director of Chapter Digital Strategies
Context: At the Sierra Club, we believe in the power of togetherness. Together, we remain committed to the fight for a healthy climate built on a foundation of environmental, racial, economic, and gender justice – a future where all people benefit from a healthy, thriving planet and a direct connection to nature. As the climate crisis and deeply entrenched systemic racism all fuel inequity, we will continue to fight for a bold, transformational agenda that recognizes the interconnectedness between our planet, our humanity, and our democracy. By recognizing that our destinies are tied, we continue to name that all things are fundamentally connected, and the overlap between ecology, race, gender and representative government will move to either advance our collective humanity or to oppress it.
Sierra Club is comprised of staff across the country and a network of local chapters that support our grassroots engagement. We are also proud to be a unionized employer, with two labor unions representing more than half of our employees.
Scope: This position reports the Associate Director of Chapter Digital Strategies to deliver digital strategies, training, services, solutions, and support for Chapters, groups, and volunteer leaders in the regional coverage model for Sierra Club digital systems and tools to support constituent outreach, organizing, and activities. Provides strategic engagements, training, services, and support to Sierra Club Chapter staff and volunteer leaders who use supported Sierra Club digital tools in their roles. Continuously identifies learning opportunities and challenges to improve the user experience of staff and volunteers and recommend system changes. Maintains expert knowledge of the full array of relevant Sierra Club systems, digital tools, and processes.
Job activities include but are not limited to:
- Lead effective training, service, and support chapters, groups, and leaders. Provide training, services, and support for a regional set of chapters, groups, and volunteer leaders with supported digital tools (Salesforce CRM, Marketing Cloud Mass Email). Strong people skills to develop relationships with Chapters and collaborate with other Sierra Club resources for collaborative care.
- Hands-on digital expertise. Demonstrate competency for the current set of supported digital tools and passion for learning about new technology and digital tools to create and test help documents, knowledge resources, and training curriculum for supported communities. Detail-focused to learn and document process and digital tool training and help documents
- Communication and collaboration skills. Excellent communications skills (listening, verbal, writing) to document knowledge, train and support Chapter staff and volunteers, and document process and digital tool training and help documents. Work collaboratively with the Chapter Digital team and others to help identify and resolve issues.
- Remote worker / virtual working experience. Comfortable working as a remote worker in distributed organization with virtual meetings, video conferencing, and collaborative spaces (instant messaging, Slack) to do your work in your role.
- Project coordination and management. Ability to work individually on a project or in a team environment to coordinate and lead projects with other team members.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Standard Overtime: This job requires occasional overtime to accommodate deadlines, projects, and staff absences. Under these circumstances, overtime will rarely exceed 5 hours weekly.
The successful candidate must have the following skills and experience:
- Ability to comprehend, explain, and teach complex systems. Much of this role involves teaching staff and volunteer leaders how to use systems and software they are not familiar with. You must be patient, clear, concise, and encouraging. You must also have the orientation and interest in learning these systems yourself (e.g., Salesforce, Marketing Cloud, and internal bureaucratic processes).
- Customer service skills and knowledge sharing. This job involves answering questions, digging up information, and being responsive to requests. You enjoy helping others learn by creating and sharing knowledge, solutions, and helpful tips and best practices.You will be successful if you take joy from helping others accomplish tasks and solve problems.
- Project management skills. Ability to meet deadlines, work under pressure, and reach consensus on shared projects. Excellent judgment and transparency on setting expectations on finished projects. Experience setting deadlines and meeting them. Ability to help achieve consensus within teams on project roles and outcomes. You are comfortable using project management tools and process to help organize the work, reduce complexity, and work with team approach to project planning and implementation.
- Just relationships. Track record of developing just relationships. Demonstrated track record of developing relationships across all levels- staff and volunteers - and identities. Exhibits a high level of emotional intelligence and cultivates trusting and collaborative relationships with individuals and groups. Demonstrates a commitment to self-transformation including skill and comfort with regularly giving and receiving feedback and advancing a balanced and holistic perspective and approach.
- Equity Analysis and Practice. You are aware of your group identities and how they have shaped your life and experiences at work. You have an analysis of how racism and other forms of oppression in society impact relationships, systems and culture. You bring experience and skills for working effectively with colleagues across group identities and position/role.
The strongest candidates will also demonstrate the following experience, skills and competencies:
- Familiarity with Sierra Club chapters, groups, and volunteer leadership roles
- Proficiency in the use of digital software, such as Salesforce, Marketing Cloud, Google Suite, Slack
- Client service and training experience including remote virtual engagement
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $62,500 - $67,500 for Region I locations.
This position is represented by a collective bargaining unit and is subject to the terms and conditions of the contract between Sierra Club and Progressive Workers Union or Sierra Employee Alliance, depending on location.
The Sierra Club offers a competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan.
This is a category 6 non-exempt, represented position.
Sierra Club is a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization. Sierra Club employees are not eligible to participate in the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program.
Sierra Club values the expertise and talents of foreign nationals. Sierra Club sponsors both nonimmigrant and immigrant visas when certain criteria are met, based on immigration laws and organizational needs. Such sponsorship is at the discretion of the Department Head and Sierra Club Human Resources in consultation with the employee’s manager. The Sierra Club cannot guarantee the approval of a visa petition. The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
This position does not have an undergraduate education requirement. If you choose to include your education history, please remove your schools from your resume. You may leave your degree (e.g., “B.A. Philosophy”), but please remove any undergraduate and graduate school names.
This anonymous process is aimed at opening this opportunity to more candidates, reviewing applicants on performance assessments, and mitigating bias in the decision-making process.
Lastly, we are intentionally not asking for a cover letter, so please do not send one in with your application.
We are accepting applications until filled.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.