Membership Operations Coordinator
Oakland, CA, United States
16 days ago
Job Title: Membership Operations Coordinator
Department: Office of Advancement
Location: Oakland, CA
Reports To: Associate Director, Membership Operations
Context: At the Sierra Club, we believe in the power of togetherness. Together, we remain committed to the fight for a healthy climate built on a foundation of environmental, racial, economic, and gender justice – a future where all people benefit from a healthy, thriving planet and a direct connection to nature. As the climate crisis and deeply entrenched systemic racism all fuel inequity, we will continue to fight for a bold, transformational agenda that recognizes the interconnectedness between our planet, our humanity, and our democracy. By recognizing that our destinies are tied, we continue to name that all things are fundamentally connected, and the overlap between ecology, race, gender, and representative government will move to either advance our collective humanity or to oppress it.
Sierra Club is comprised of staff across the country and a network of local chapters that support our grassroots engagement. We are also proud to be a unionized employer, with two labor unions representing more than half of our employees.
Scope: Under direct supervision from the Associate Director, Membership Operations, the Membership Operations Coordinator will be responsible for preparing all donations received in the Oakland office for processing and depositing. This is an on-site position that requires opening and sorting incoming mail in the Oakland office, entering the donor information into the Customer Relationship Management (CRM) database (currently Salesforce), and working with the Sierra Club Finance Department to ensure the donations are deposited. The position is vital to help speed up the processing and depositing of major gift donations, particularly during peak seasons such as the end of each year.
Job activities include but are not limited to:
- Opens and sorts incoming Membership mail and prepares for depositing checks by the caging vendor or by the Sierra Club’s Finance Department. Researches incoming check donations in the CRM (Salesforce) database and codes them for processing.
- Images and scans donations to our external vendor for processing. Tracks and edits gifts in the Salesforce database to complete processing.
- Completes data entry of donations for the Sierra Club Foundation. Researches and codes incoming donations for Sierra Club Foundation staff to process. Provides increased assistance for Foundation staff during peak seasons from November 1st thru the end of February, and helps to ensure donations are being processed in a timely manner.
- Works with the caging vendor to identify processing issues and adjust/resolve procedurally.
- Works with the Sierra Club Foundation and the Sierra Club Finance Department to answer any questions on balancing month end reports.
- Works with Chapter staff and volunteers on processing their c3 donations.
- Tracks and sends back checks that are unable to be processed.
- Performs miscellaneous data entry tasks that include but are not limited to: coding returned mail, fulfilling personal mail requests, processing check donations entered by the Sierra Club Finance Department, and processing credit card donations mailed to the Oakland office.
- Researches and prepares special projects and reports, using various word processing and spreadsheet applications. Reports on regular performance indicators to management, by monitoring reports of external vendors and flagging key indicators.
- Serves as a contact person for Chapters to process c3 donations. Handles incoming checks, ensuring that they are uploaded to the external caging vendor or given to Foundation staff if the check requires special handling. Answers questions from the Chapter, Foundation, or the Chapter Funding department if there are issues with c3 checks being deposited.
The successful candidate must have the following skills and experience:
- Experience in fundraising with expertise in caging, cashiering, and CRM databases.
- Demonstrated ability and effectiveness in organizational, planning, project management, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Ability to work with others to help ensure necessary progress on projects and maintain awareness of impacts and project status across multiple areas.
- Demonstrated ability analyzing and integrating processes, systems and information; using databases and/or informational resources to deliver program services; developing and monitoring budgets for complex programs or products; demonstrated knowledge of cost-benefit and other financial/program analyses
- Equity Analysis and Practice. You are aware of your group identities and how they have shaped your life and experiences at work. You have an analysis of how racism and other forms of oppression in society impact relationships, systems and culture. You bring experience and skills for working effectively with colleagues across group identities and position/role.
The strongest candidates will also demonstrate the following experience, skills and competencies:
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities and resolve routine business problems in a customer service setting.
- Excellent demonstrated written and oral communication skills and the proven ability to work effectively in both small teams and large working groups.
- Ability to work effectively with public, Sierra Club staff, vendors and consultants.
- Demonstrated ability to provide guidance to staff and to work in a team setting.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $66,000, non-negotiable.
This position is represented by a collective bargaining unit and is subject to the terms and conditions of the contract between Sierra Club and Sierra Employee Alliance.
The Sierra Club offers a competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan.
This is a category 6 non-exempt, represented position.
Sierra Club is a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization. Sierra Club employees are not eligible to participate in the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program.
Sierra Club values the expertise and talents of foreign nationals. Sierra Club sponsors both nonimmigrant and immigrant visas when certain criteria are met, based on immigration laws and organizational needs. Such sponsorship is at the discretion of the Department Head and Sierra Club Human Resources in consultation with the employee’s manager. The Sierra Club cannot guarantee the approval of a visa petition. The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
This position does not have an undergraduate education requirement. If you choose to include your education history, please remove your schools from your resume. You may leave your degree (e.g., “B.A. Philosophy”), but please remove any undergraduate and graduate school names.
This anonymous process is aimed at opening this opportunity to more candidates, reviewing applicants on performance assessments and mitigating bias in the decision making process.
Lastly, we are intentionally not asking for a cover letter, so please do not send one in with your application.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.