Member Care Representative
Oakland, CA, United States
24 days ago
Job Title: Member Care Representative
Location: Oakland, CA
Reports To: Managing Director, Member Care
Number of Openings: 2
Context: At the Sierra Club, we believe in the power of togetherness. Together, we remain committed to the fight for a healthy climate built on a foundation of environmental, racial, economic, and gender justice – a future where all people benefit from a healthy, thriving planet and a direct connection to nature. As the climate crisis and deeply entrenched systemic racism all fuel inequity, we will continue to fight for a bold, transformational agenda that recognizes the interconnectedness between our planet, our humanity, and our democracy. By recognizing that our destinies are tied, we continue to name that all things are fundamentally connected, and the overlap between ecology, race, gender, and representative government will move to either advance our collective humanity or to oppress it.
Sierra Club is comprised of staff across the country and a network of volunteer leaders and local chapters that support our grassroots engagement. We are also proud to be a unionized employer, with two labor unions representing more than half of our employees.
Scope: The Member Care unit serves as the front line of the Sierra Club by interacting with Members and Donors who have questions regarding their benefits or records. The Representative responds to requests from Members, Volunteer Leadership and other staff entities for information and services regarding all Sierra Club programs, researching issues which bear on the Membership records, and updating organizational files.
The Representative exchanges information and coordinates activities with the offices of Advancement, Finance, Information Technology, Digital Strategies, Sierra Club Foundation, Outings, Sierra Magazine and Conservation as well as with other Sierra Club staff to resolve member and donor information entry problems and to assure appropriate delivery of services for the member. The representative handles correspondence and telephone inquiries, answers questions around membership and donations, researches membership issues and updates member records. Additionally, the Member Care Rep will handle any customer service inquiries or issues with Adopt A Wild Animal, Online Store, Facebook, and Addup. The Member Care Rep will try to minimize member cancellation (regular or monthly donors) as well as work on cross-sell opportunities (i.e. highlight AWA program during the holiday season, etc.).
Job activities include but are not limited to:
- Researches and resolves inquiries from members, Club staff and volunteer leaders regarding membership or donor records.
- Responds to a large volume of varied correspondence (by mail and email) from members, donors, the general public and/or volunteer leaders concerning member record issues/problems; identifies appropriate departments and/ individuals within the organization to respond to requests which fall outside the scope of Member Care.
- Coordinates and integrates the information on individual donor and member records to assure that all Club systems have current information and that specific program applications are applied to the individual records.
- Add and update member records in an effort to maintain and clean up member information across databases.
- Enters, updates, modifies (corrects and cancels) membership and donor records, including preparation of refund requests, processing orders, updating addresses, coding records, etc.
- Handle and respond to email inquiries; make changes to email preferences using the Salesforce database.
- Monitors the flow of work to identify unusual trends or possible problems occurring in the communication with membership.
- Actively participate in Voice of Member (VOM) Initiative; share positive and negative trends from Sierra Club members and Champions and partners with Associate Director, Member Care and Deputy Chief Advancement Officer. Share VOM trends and experiences in weekly Member Care meeting
- Works with team to maximize member retention/minimize cancels and to generate revenue through ‘soft’ cross-asks with members on phone or via email
- Provides fulfillment services on a project basis and for development programs including the processing of returned premiums/products.
- Maintains office records including routing, filing and photocopying or correspondence.
- Researches and prepares special projects and reports, using various word processing and spreadsheet applications.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as required.
Standard Overtime: Periodic overtime is required during certain periods of the year or month. Overtime may be required on a seasonal basis as a result of high volumes of membership and donation activity; these periods generally occur at the end of the federal tax year (December – January). Overtime requirements during these specific periods would not normally exceed 10 hours per week for up to five consecutive weeks.
The successful candidate must have the following skills and experience:
- Proven experience with record keeping, data entry, database management, word processing and/or spreadsheet applications.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a collaborating team to identify and solve problems.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, set priorities, and resolve routine business problems in a customer service setting.
- Demonstrated ability to manage large volumes of diverse and detailed information.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Equity Analysis and Practice. You are aware of your group identities and how they have shaped your life and experiences at work. You have an analysis of how racism and other forms of oppression in society impact relationships, systems and culture. You bring experience and skills for working effectively with colleagues across group identities and position/role.
The strongest candidates will also demonstrate the following experience, skills and competencies:
- Fluency in Spanish and English is preferred.
- Experience using Salesforce.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary for this position is $59,000 non-negotiable.
This position is represented by a collective bargaining unit and is subject to the terms and conditions of the contract between Sierra Club and Sierra Employee Alliance.
The Sierra Club offers a competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan.
This is a category 7 non-exempt position.
Sierra Club is a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization. Sierra Club employees are not eligible to participate in the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program.
Sierra Club values the expertise and talents of foreign nationals. Sierra Club sponsors both nonimmigrant and immigrant visas when certain criteria are met, based on immigration laws and organizational needs. Such sponsorship is at the discretion of the Department Head and Sierra Club Human Resources in consultation with the employee’s manager. The Sierra Club cannot guarantee the approval of a visa petition. The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
This position does not have an undergraduate education requirement. If you choose to include your education history, please remove your schools from your resume. You may leave your degree (e.g., “B.A. Philosophy”), but please remove any undergraduate and graduate school names.
This anonymous process is aimed at opening this opportunity to more candidates, reviewing applicants on performance assessments and mitigating bias in the decision-making process.
Lastly, we are intentionally not asking for a cover letter, so please do not send one in with your application.
We are accepting applications until the position is filled.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.