Job Title: IT Technical Support Specialist
Location: Oakland, CA or Washington, DC
Reports To: Help Desk Manager or Endpoint Systems Manager
Context: At the Sierra Club, we believe in the power of togetherness. Together, we remain committed to the fight for a healthy climate built on a foundation of environmental, racial, economic, and gender justice – a future where all people benefit from a healthy, thriving planet and a direct connection to nature. As the climate crisis and deeply entrenched systemic racism all fuel inequity, we will continue to fight for a bold, transformational agenda that recognizes the interconnectedness between our planet, our humanity, and our democracy. By recognizing that our destinies are tied, we continue to name that all things are fundamentally connected, and the overlap between ecology, race, gender, and representative government will move to either advance our collective humanity or to oppress it.
Sierra Club is comprised of staff across the country and a network of local chapters that support our grassroots engagement. We are also proud to be a unionized employer, with two labor unions representing more than half of our employees.
Scope: The IT Support Specialist is responsible for end-user support including responding to help tickets and other requests, configuring computer hardware and software, setting up office workstations, managing user accounts, , developing and conducting basic user orientation and training, facilitating outside user training, administering electronic mail lists, and assisting in projects related to user endpoint management such as new/upgraded application implementation.
Job activities include but are not limited to:
- User Support: Configures computer hardware and software. Monitors and responds to user support requests and resolves computer hardware and software requests and problems. Troubleshoots and performs minor hardware repairs and coordinates more extensive repairs with vendors or local technicians. Manages user accounts (including SAAS accounts) and phone extensions/auto attendants. Provides AV training/assistance for large/high profile meetings Assists in the development of standard PC configurations. Moves in-office computer equipment and telephones. Orders parts, supplies, and software as needed, helping maintain related inventories.
- Software Deployments: Distributing software through management systems, maintaining software licensing
- Electronic Mailing List System Administration: Performs list support including new list set-up, list owner assistance, development and maintenance of list owner and list subscriber online support materials. Monitors and maintains electronic mailing list operations to ensure appropriate system availability, access, and use. Troubleshoots minor system problems. Maintains miscellaneous mail lists.
- Training: Develops and conducts new user orientation and training. Provides basic ad hoc application training in response to user requests. Identifies and tracks appropriate third-party application training for end users when more comprehensive training is required that can be provided internally.
- Documentation: Identifies third-party and develops brief in-house staff reference materials which enhance learning and productivity. Maintains the IT user support intranet
- IT Administration: Maintains various administrative databases, such as software and hardware inventories.
- Onboarding/Termination Tasks: Performs various tasks involved with onboarding or termination tickets such as preparing a computer, creating/deleting network and SAAS service accounts, updating internal databases for asset tracking, workstation setup, computer shipping/retrieval, etc.
- Assists Help Desk Manager by executing field office management projects such as security updates, analyzing field and chapter office computer asset data, and projects which involve contacting many office staff individually.
- Performs miscellaneous duties and projects as directed.
The successful candidate must have the following skills and experience:
- Technical Support: You have experience providing technical support for applications such as Microsoft Office, G Suite, and the Windows and Mac operating systems.
- Customer Service Experience: You have experience working directly and remotely with customers to resolve their technical issues.
- Hardware/Software Troubleshooting: You have experience troubleshooting hardware and software problems.
- Strong communication & teamwork ability: Competency in communicating project status updates, describing technical issues to other team members & stakeholders, and collaborating when you or other team members need assistance tackling tough problems.
- Equity Analysis and Practice: You are aware of your group identities and how they have shaped your life and experiences at work. You have an analysis of how racism and other forms of oppression in society impact relationships, systems, and culture. You bring experience and skills for working effectively with colleagues across group identities and positions/roles.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $70,000 - $75,000 annual.
The Sierra Club offers a competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan.
This is a category 5 non-exempt position.
Sierra Club values the expertise and talents of foreign nationals. Sierra Club sponsors both nonimmigrant and immigrant visas when certain criteria are met, based on immigration laws and organizational needs. Such sponsorship is at the discretion of the Department Head and Sierra Club Human Resources in consultation with the employee’s manager. The Sierra Club cannot guarantee the approval of a visa petition. The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
This position does not have an undergraduate education requirement. If you choose to include your education history, please remove your schools from your resume. You may leave your degree (e.g., “B.A. Philosophy”), but please remove any undergraduate and graduate school names.
This anonymous process is aimed at opening this opportunity to more candidates, reviewing applicants on performance assessments, and mitigating bias in the decision-making process.
Lastly, we are intentionally not asking for a cover letter, so please do not send one in with your application.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.