Director of Finance and Administration - Direct Response
Oakland, CA, United States
11 days ago
Job Title: Director of Finance and Administration - Direct Response
Location: Oakland, CA or remote
Reports To: Deputy Chief Advancement Officer, Finance and Administration
Supervises: Financial Analyst for Direct Marketing & Memberships
Context: At the Sierra Club, we believe in the power of togetherness. Together, we remain committed to the fight for a healthy climate built on a foundation of environmental, racial, economic, and gender justice – a future where all people benefit from a healthy, thriving planet and a direct connection to nature. As the climate crisis and deeply entrenched systemic racism all fuel inequity, we will continue to fight for a bold, transformational agenda that recognizes the interconnectedness between our planet, our humanity, and our democracy. By recognizing that our destinies are tied, we continue to name that all things are fundamentally connected, and the overlap between ecology, race, gender, and representative government will move to either advance our collective humanity or to oppress it.
Sierra Club is comprised of staff across the country and a network of local chapters that support our grassroots engagement. We are also proud to be a unionized employer, with two labor unions representing more than half of our employees.
Scope: Oversees development of revenue and expense budgets and forecasts for designated Direct Response programs. Develops and manages financial models for forecasting and budgeting as well as ad-hoc and ongoing financial analysis and reporting. Manages daily and monthly accounting activities and procedures. Tracks, analyzes and reports actual program performance against budget. Tracks and reconciles all the Advancement department’s inventory accounts. Manages year-end financial reconciliation and annual audit. Manages invoices and expenses of the Direct Response team. Provides operational support to Deputy Chief Advancement Officer on special projects and deliverables.
Job activities include but are not limited to:
- Develops revenue and expense budgets and forecasts for designated Direct Response programs. Including managing budget calendar and deliverables, budget reporting, variance analysis, and budget system updates.
- Develops and manages financial and analytical models and conducts financial performance evaluation (including ROI) on campaigns and programs.
- Manages daily and monthly accounting activities and procedures. Including account reconciliations (both revenue and expense) and transaction troubleshooting, as well as working with program managers to book expense accruals and prepaid expense journals.
- Tracks, analyzes and reports actual program performance against budget and advises program managers on questions related to the financial performance of their programs.
- Collaborates with the Accounting department to solve accounting needs from the Direct Response team.
- Collaborates with IT staff to create customized Salesforce reports to recognize revenues for Direct Response programs. Works with Accounting staff to ensure Direct Response revenues are recorded accurately.
- Tracks and reconciles all the Advancement department’s inventory accounts, including print, postage and premiums.
- Manages year-end financial reconciliations and adjustments for all Direct Response programs.
- Manages invoices and expenses of the Direct Response team, including oversight of expense coding and approvals. Works closely with outside vendors and business partners on accounting matters.
- Works with the Accounting department and outside auditors on Direct Response programs’ financials and reports during the annual audit.
- Provides operational support to Deputy Chief Advancement Officer on special projects and deliverables.
The successful candidate must have the following skills and experience:
- Significant experience in finance, accounting or related fields, with strong knowledge of GAAP.
- Experience with non-profit fundraising operations and practices.
- Proficient with financial modeling with advanced skill level in Excel.
- Strong attention to detail, analytical and statistical skills. Excellent analytic, written and verbal communication, and organizational skills.
- Leading on Equity. You model effective equity analysis and practice and have a track record of operationalizing equity, and have embedded justice and equity throughout team/department policies, structures, culture, and programs.
The strongest candidates will also demonstrate the following experience, skills and competencies:
- Experience with Netsuite.
- Bachelor’s degree with a concentration in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, or related field; OR equivalent experience in accounting, finance, database management or fund development.
- Ability to use tact, diplomacy and discretion in dealing with confidential matters.
- Ability to successfully interact with staff, volunteers, donors, and the public.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $110,000 - $120,000.
The Sierra Club offers a competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan.
This is a category 3 exempt non-represented, supervisory position.
Sierra Club is a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization. Sierra Club employees are not eligible to participate in the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program.
Sierra Club values the expertise and talents of foreign nationals. Sierra Club sponsors both nonimmigrant and immigrant visas when certain criteria are met, based on immigration laws and organizational needs. Such sponsorship is at the discretion of the Department Head and Sierra Club Human Resources in consultation with the employee’s manager. The Sierra Club cannot guarantee the approval of a visa petition. The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
This position does not have an undergraduate education requirement. If you choose to include your education history, please remove your schools from your resume. You may leave your degree (e.g., "B.A. Philosophy"), but please remove any undergraduate and graduate school names.
This anonymous process is aimed at opening this opportunity to more candidates, reviewing applicants on performance assessments and mitigating bias in the decision-making process.
Lastly, we are intentionally not asking for a cover letter, so please do not send one in with your
We are accepting applications until the position is filled.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.