Digital Marketing Manager
Oakland, CA, United States
21 days ago
Job Title: Digital Marketing Manager
Location: Oakland office or remote. This position requires an occasional ability to travel.
Reports To: Associate Director, Marketing & Digital Content
Context: At the Sierra Club, we believe in the power of togetherness. Together, we remain committed to the fight for a healthy climate built on a foundation of environmental, racial, economic, and gender justice – a future where all people benefit from a healthy, thriving planet and a direct connection to nature. As the climate crisis and deeply entrenched systemic racism all fuel inequity, we will continue to fight for a bold, transformational agenda that recognizes the interconnectedness between our planet, our humanity, and our democracy. By recognizing that our destinies are tied, we continue to name that all things are fundamentally connected, and the overlap between ecology, race, gender, and representative government will move to either advance our collective humanity or to oppress it.
Sierra Club is comprised of staff across the country and a network of local chapters that support our grassroots engagement. We are also proud to be a unionized employer, with two labor unions representing more than half of our employees.
Sierra Club National Outings is committed to our Outdoors for All vision of naming and reducing barriers to entry and ensuring all people have opportunities to explore and enjoy nature. We strive to improve lives while developing grassroots leaders to help us protect the environment and tackle our societal challenges. This new and important role will support the Associate Director in developing and implementing a comprehensive Outings marketing strategy, including social media, web content and development, online advertising, analytics and tracking, and other strategies to build the Outings brand, promote trips, and inspire and engage a new generation of outdoor enthusiasts.
Scope: The Marketing Manager will be responsible for a variety of projects to help the Outings program realize its ambitious marketing strategy. They will support the Associate Director with existing projects and take ownership of new ones. This will include expanding our social media presence, managing a new online trip review system, coordinating with online advertising staff to develop ads, tracking trip performance and online marketing efforts, managing Outings digital products, producing print and digital marketing materials, and general office support. They will also support the Brochure Editor with seasonal brochure production and collaborate with Outings and other department staff as need be.
Job activities include but are not limited to:
- Plan and implement social media content strategy. Develop and repurpose Outings content for regular social media posts designed to build awareness of the Sierra Club Outings brand and announce new trips through Sierra Club social channels including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Collaborate with the Associate Director and social media team on strategy and best practices and track posts to measure their impact.
- Manage new online trip review system. Promote and encourage reviews from recent trip participants to provide prospective participants with user-generated trip feedback. Read, approve, and respond to incoming reviews and work with the Associate Director and web team to evaluate and improve the review system and user journey on an ongoing basis.
- Coordinate online advertising campaign strategy. Develop and monitor online ad campaigns that increase awareness of our brand, promote our trips, and build the Explorer subscriber list. Collaborate with the Digital Advertising team on images, messaging, and landing pages, review draft ads, and collect data on the effectiveness of our efforts.
- Track trip performance and online marketing. Gather data from TRAIL database, Outings website, the Explorer email newsletter, social media, online advertising, and content marketing to track trip performance and online marketing and inform future marketing efforts. Work with IT and Digital Strategies to improve tools for collecting, sorting, and analyzing data.
- Manage Outings digital products. Work with the Assistant Director and web team to evaluate and enhance the Outings website, Explorer email newsletter, and other digital products. Help identify friction areas and consider potential solutions, plan testing variations, and work with Digital Strategies to develop new features to improve user experience, drive conversions, and steer visitors to high-priority areas of the site.
- Produce print and digital marketing materials. Collaborate with the Associate Director in writing, editing, and designing biannual trip catalogs and quarterly ads in Sierra magazine, develop engaging content for the Explorer newsletter and the Outings website, prepare trips and online marketing materials for launch, and other marketing projects as needed. Assist the Brochure Editor in developing high-quality brochures that meet Outings style guide requirements.
- Manage volunteer resources and provide ongoing support. Help manage and organize a large collection of resources and documents for Outings volunteers and staff as part of Campfire, the Sierra Club’s intranet system. Respond to volunteer requests, including trip promotion, technical support, and general inquiries. Develop independent relationships and represent the office with volunteers.
- Provide general office support as needed. Serve as backup phone reservationist according to weekly schedule, assist with customer support and trip reservation tasks, and other office projects as needed.
- Work on equity, inclusion, and justice initiatives. Develop and manage projects to further the Sierra Club’s equity, inclusion, and justice goals and increase the diversity of Outings leaders and participants such as ensuring that trip brochures meet our equity standards, working with the Young Leaders and Participants Committee, and other opportunities to create a more welcoming and inclusive environment for all.
The successful candidate must have the following skills and experience:
- Related experience in marketing, communications, and/or digital media, including strategic planning, project management, and collaborating with teams.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate with staff, volunteers, and outside vendors with compassion and empathy and the ability to build trusting relationships and resolve conflicts with coworkers and volunteers.
- Well-developed professional judgment and decision-making capability. Must be able to balance multiple priorities, projects, and stakeholders in a fast-paced environment with shifting deadlines and minimal supervision.
- Strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail, including the ability to understand complex processes, digital tools, and data systems and develop solutions. Demonstrated aptitude with numbers and multi-step instructions.
- Essential graphic design and computer skills. Must be able to produce a variety of materials for publicity and marketing purposes, including ads, share graphics, and basic photo editing. Proficiency with G Suite, Word, and Excel and familiarity with social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Equity analysis and practice. You are aware of your group identities and how they have shaped your life and experiences at work. You have an analysis of how racism and other forms of oppression in society impact relationships, systems, and culture. You bring experience and skills for working effectively with colleagues across group identities and position/role.
The strongest candidates will also demonstrate the following experience, skills, and competencies:
- Familiarity with Google Analytics, Salesforce, content management systems, and/or data analysis/reporting tools.
- Customer service experience and the ability to deal with the general public and maintain composure.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $67,000 (region 3: Columbus, OH; Jackson, MS as examples) - $71,000 (region 2: Philadelphia, PA; Phoenix, AZ as examples) - $75,000 (region 1: Oakland, CA; Washington, DC).
This position is represented by a collective bargaining unit and is subject to the terms and conditions of the contract between Sierra Club and Progressive Workers Union or Sierra Employee Alliance, depending on location.
The Sierra Club offers a competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan.
This is a category 4 exempt, represented position.
Sierra Club is a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization. Sierra Club employees are not eligible to participate in the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program.
Sierra Club values the expertise and talents of foreign nationals. Sierra Club sponsors both nonimmigrant and immigrant visas when certain criteria are met, based on immigration laws and organizational needs. Such sponsorship is at the discretion of the Department Head and Sierra Club Human Resources in consultation with the employee’s manager. The Sierra Club cannot guarantee the approval of a visa petition. The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
This position does not have an undergraduate education requirement. If you choose to include your education history, please remove your schools from your resume. You may leave your degree (e.g., “B.A. Philosophy”), but please remove any undergraduate and graduate school names.
This anonymous process is aimed at opening this opportunity to more candidates, reviewing applicants on performance assessments and mitigating bias in the decision-making process.
Lastly, we are intentionally not asking for a cover letter, so please do not send one in with your application.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.