Accounts Payable and Payroll Accountant (Temporary)
Oakland, CA, United States
30+ days ago
Job Title: Accounts Payable and Payroll Accountant (Temporary)
Location: Oakland, CA
Reports to: Director of Payroll and accounts payable
Start date: As soon as possible
End date: 6 months from hire date
Hours: 37.5 Hours Per week
Context: At the Sierra Club, we believe in the power of togetherness. Together, we remain committed to the fight for a healthy climate built on a foundation of environmental, racial, economic, and gender justice – a future where all people benefit from a healthy, thriving planet and a direct connection to nature. As the climate crisis and deeply entrenched systemic racism all fuel inequity, we will continue to fight for a bold, transformational agenda that recognizes the interconnectedness between our planet, our humanity, and our democracy. By recognizing that our destinies are tied, we continue to name that all things are fundamentally connected, and the overlap between ecology, race, gender, and representative government will move to either advance our collective humanity or to oppress it.
Sierra Club comprises 850+ staff, 64 chapters, 8,500 volunteer leaders across the country and millions of members across a network of local chapters that power our grassroots engagement, and place us at the forefront of climate change activism. We are also proud to be a unionized employer, with two labor unions representing more than half of our employees.
We practice the Jemez Principles and center organizational Equity Values within our organizing work.
Scope: The Sierra Club is looking for an Accounts Payable and Payroll Accountant to support the finance team in Oakland, CA. The Accounts Payable and Payroll Accountant is responsible for preparing payroll and the payroll journal and reconciling all related accounts on a monthly basis. Additionally, the Accounts Payable and Payroll Accountant assists in the year-end process. Note: this is a temporary position.
Job activities include but are not limited to:
- Inputs accounts payable information into AP module in accordance with Club policy and procedures and reviews inputted information from other staff. Reviews each invoice for proper account coding and authorized approval, and contacts program managers if invoices appear to be miscoded or not properly authorized.
- Batches, balances and inputs accounts payable information into AP module in accordance with Club policy and procedures, prepares documentation for voucher review. Reviews each invoice for proper account coding and authorized approval, and contacts program managers if invoices appear to be miscoded or not properly authorized.
- Participates in the check run by preparing a trial payment register and reviewing vouchers for selection. Prints checks and matches checks to invoices after approval of payment register. Helps prioritize checks for immediate approval. Obtains approval for manual checks in accordance to Club policy, and upon approval, issues manual checks.
- Reviews invoices for independent contractor/1099 reporting and assists Lead Accounts Payable in year end 1099 processing and distribution.
- Maintains regular correspondence with Stakeholders, including staff, volunteers and vendors. Responds to vendors on payment queries and reconciles payment records against vendor records. Contacts vendors for tax status and tax identification and records information necessary to set up new vendors.
- Participates in the monthly close process. Books monthly Club wide membership and donation revenue journal and reconciles reported revenues against bank account and credit card processing statements. Responds to Chapter Treasurers regarding payroll expenses on monthly accounting reports.
- Assists in month end and year end closing of accounts payable and Payroll in accordance with financial closing schedules.
- Collects W-9, ACH information from the vendor and updates changes in NetSuite.
- Documents all A/P and Payroll processes and creates SOP and provides training to new team members.
The successful candidate must have the following skills and experience:
- B.A. degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidential information.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills, effective organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated good knowledge of MS office, spreadsheet applications and ability to import and extract information from various software platforms.
- Strong Interpersonal Skills. Ability to interact effectively with staff and outside stakeholders. Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Equity Analysis and Practice. You are aware of your group identities and how they have shaped your life and experiences at work. You have an analysis of how racism and other forms of oppression in society impact relationships, systems and culture. You bring experience and skills for working effectively with colleagues across group identities and position/role.
The strongest candidates will also demonstrate the following experience, skills and competencies:
- 2-3 years Accounts Payable and/or Payroll experience
- Familiar with automated systems; Workday and NetSuite preferred
- General knowledge in the application of various regulatory withholding requirements related to A/P and payroll.
- Good knowledge of MS office, excel and spreadsheet applications and ability to import and extract information from various software platforms.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a temporary position paying $31.80/hr. We are hiring for this position ASAP and the position will last up to 6 months.
This is primarily a hybrid role with both remote and office work in the Oakland, CA office.
This is a category 99 non-exempt, non-represented temporary position.
Sierra Club is a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization. Sierra Club employees are not eligible to participate in the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program.
Sierra Club values the expertise and talents of foreign nationals. Sierra Club sponsors both nonimmigrant and immigrant visas when certain criteria are met, based on immigration laws and organizational needs. Such sponsorship is at the discretion of the Department Head and Sierra Club Human Resources in consultation with the employee's manager. The Sierra Club cannot guarantee the approval of a visa petition. The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
This position does not have an undergraduate education requirement. If you choose to include your education history, please remove your schools from your resume. You may leave your degree (e.g., "B.A. Philosophy"), but please remove any undergraduate and graduate school names.
This anonymous process is aimed at opening this opportunity to more candidates, reviewing applicants on performance assessments and mitigating bias in the decision-making process.
Lastly, we are intentionally not asking for a cover letter, so please do not send one in with your application.
We are accepting applications until the position is filled.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.