Minnesota Organizing Intern
Minneapolis, MN, United States
30+ days ago
Job Title: Minnesota Organizing Intern
Department: North Star Chapter
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Report to: Chapter Director
Duration: 10 hrs/week, 18 weeks - $20 per hour
Number of Openings: 2
Context: At the Sierra Club, we believe in the power of togetherness. Together, we remain committed to the fight for a healthy climate built on a foundation of environmental, racial, economic, and gender justice – a future where all people benefit from a healthy, thriving planet and a direct connection to nature. As the climate crisis and deeply entrenched systemic racism all fuel inequity, we will continue to fight for a bold, transformational agenda that recognizes the interconnectedness between our planet, our humanity, andmour democracy. By recognizing that our destinies are tied, we continue to name that all things are fundamentally connected, and the overlap between ecology, race, gender, and representative government will move to either advance our collective humanity or to oppress it.
Sierra Club is comprised of staff across the country and a network of local chapters that support our grassroots engagement.
Scope: The organizing intern will support priority clean energy campaigns and voter contact components of the Minnesota Sierra Club’s 2022 electoral program. The intern will support the work of staff and volunteers and develop their own skills and expertise as an organizer. This position assists in clean energy campaign and voter education and Get Out the Vote efforts during the 2022 state legislative elections.
Job Activities include but are not limited to:
- Coordinate electoral volunteer activities, to include canvass, phone banks, and text banks
- Coordinate and support volunteer recruitment and training
- Administrative support and data entry
- Other duties as assigned
The successful candidate must have the following skills and experience:
- Interest in grassroots campaign tactics to support climate change solutions
- Interest in the electoral process; prior experience with political campaigns helpful but not required
- Equity Analysis and Practice. You are aware of your group identities and how they have shaped your life and experiences at work. You have an analysis of how racism and other forms of oppression in society impact relationships, systems and culture. You bring experience and skills for working effectively with colleagues across group identities and position/role.
- Availability to work some evenings and weekends
The strongest candidates will also demonstrate the following experience, skills and competencies:
- Interest in data management (will be using Salesforce and VAN)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team
The hourly rate for this position is $20 / hour.
This is a category 99 non-exempt, non-represented, temporary position.
Sierra Club is a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization. Sierra Club employees are not eligible to participate in the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program.
Sierra Club values the expertise and talents of foreign nationals. Sierra Club sponsors both nonimmigrant and immigrant visas when certain criteria are met, based on immigration laws and organizational needs. Such sponsorship is at the discretion of the Department Head and Sierra Club Human Resources in consultation with the employee’s manager. The Sierra Club cannot guarantee the approval of a visa petition. The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
This position does not have an undergraduate education requirement. If you choose to include your education history, please remove your schools from your resume. You may leave your degree (e.g., “B.A. Philosophy”), but please remove any undergraduate and graduate school names.
This anonymous process is aimed at opening this opportunity to more candidates, reviewing applicants on performance assessments and mitigating bias in the decision-making process.
Lastly, we are intentionally not asking for a cover letter, so please do not send one in with your application.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.