It takes the brightest minds to be a technology leader. It takes imagination to create green energy for the generations to come. At Siemens Gamesa we make real what matters, join our global team.
Siemens Gamesa has a vision for renewable energy: we believe in the power of nature and technology. Help us to be ready to face the energy challenges of tomorrow and make a green footprint – join the team in creating a better future for us on our planet
We focus on hiring the best people, wherever they may be in the world. We pride ourselves on the flexibility we offer to our employees and are committed to building a workforce that can grow with the company. Siemens Gamesa is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
In our culture of trust, we focus on empowerment, diversity, and continuous learning. Valuing our people is what makes us one global team, with our colleagues’ safety at the heart of our organization.
For our LCP (Loads, Control and Performances) Unit within the Service Technology Engineering department we are looking for new colleagues to work with us in wind-turbine control and operation algorithms. Main mission of LCP control engineers is to ensure proper wind turbine operation and supervision performances (detecting deviations in wind turbine operation algorithms, control and supervision systems, and in the wind turbine control software). This team also will be evaluating, defining and validating solutions to correct and improve the wind turbine on field behaviour.
Control engineers are in charge of definition and specification of control solutions for both, solving control related field problems and for the implementations of new functionalities as a result of technological developments. As part of these control tasks they are also involved in the testing and validation of the control solutions implemented.
This position has a strong interaction with other departments, mainly with software loads and aerodynamics, but also with teams in the mechanical, electrical or SCADA units. The task requires a high integration skill, being able to translate high definition requirements into low level control and software requirements and integrate them within current control definition and with other control and non-control related requirements. As a consequence, the profile counts with an overall understanding of main disciplines involved in wind turbine operation, i.e.: loads, aerodynamics, thermal conditioning mechanics, electrics, and others.
Proper achievement of these functions involves good field data analysis, being able to process wind turbine data and analyze it for identification and resolution of onsite problems and validation of control solutions.
How to contribute to our vision :
- Prepare definition, modelling and specification of wind turbine control, operation and supervision strategies.
- Prepare test requirements notes for the validation of the wind turbine control operation and supervision algorithms.
- Perform wind turbine control algorithms validation and tuning through aeroelastic simulation and hardware in the loop means.
- Analyse and perform root cause analysis (in case of deviations) of the wind turbine on field control supervision and operation algorithms and prepare proposals of improvements for solving that deviations.
- Prepare the integration of wind turbine supervisory system into wind turbine control system
- Encourage and cooperate in the creation, managing and assurance of traceability of wind turbine controller models.
- Analyse and collaborate in design of control strategies, focus to the optimization of energy production, wind turbine loads reduction, and availability improvement.
- Cooperate with the team lead in the specification and development of new technical procedures/methodologies or tools needed to improve the team performance and knowledge.
What you need to make a difference:
- Qualification as Industrial, Telecommunications or Aeronautical engineer, or Physics Degree specialized in Control Systems.
- Deep background in control theory.
- Experienced in dynamic systems modelling and simulations, control algorithms design and modelling as well as signal handling and processing for control.
- Familiar with main sensors and actuators available for wind turbine control, with a domain of their principles of operation as well as their applications within wind turbine control.
- Relevant technical experience (around 3-5 years) and solid knowledge in automatic control, ideally related to wind turbine and wind farm control.
- Experience in field data handling for machine operation analysis, ideally wind turbine data analysis, processing data coming from different sensors for problem identification or for validation purposes.
- Overall knowledge of the main wind turbine systems involved in wind turbine and have the skill of integrating their different control requirements for proper wind turbine operation.
- Able to translate high level control requirements into low level control and software requirements following standards for specifications of design requirements.
- Generalist knowledge and experience related to wind turbine and wind farm operation.
- Knowledge in testing a validation in order to check proper behaviour of control developments.
- Experience with control safety systems for machine operation, ideally related to wind turbine.
- Within wind turbine control, previous experience dealing with sub-megawatt variable collective pitch – variable speed control architecture.
- Understanding of structured backup control code of wind turbines in service.
- Experience managing parameters databases to instantiate control algorithms for different wind turbine configurations.
- Familiar with megawatt doubled-feed induction generators and converters for wind turbines in service: DTC, ABB, INGETEAM converters.
- Scripting of own tools for field data analysis and control tuning.
- Proactive person, a good team player, persistent and self-driven, with good communication skills.
- Full professional competence in English.
In return of your commitment, we offer you…
- Become a part of our mission for sustainability: Clean energy for generations to come
- A global team of diverse colleagues who share passion for renewable energy
- Trust and empowerment to make your own ideas reality
- Personal and professional development to grow internally within our organization
- Flexible working hours as well as home-office
- Attractive remuneration package
- Local benefits such as subsided lunch, employee discounts and much more
Empowering our people
How do you imagine the future?
Our global team is on the front line of tackling the climate crisis, reducing carbon emissions – the greatest challenge we face.
Severely disabled applicants are encouraged to reach out to us. We have inclusive recruiting processes specifically for severely disabled persons and we do our utmost to tailor working spaces to suit your individual needs. In cases of severe disability, applicants who are equally qualified will be given preferential consideration.
Siemens Gamesa is an equal opportunity employer and maintains a work environment that is free from discrimination and where employees are treated with dignity and respect. Employment at Siemens Gamesa is based solely on an individual's merit and qualifications, which are directly related to job competence. Siemens Gamesa does not discriminate against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, ethnicity, nationality, ancestry, genetic information, citizenship, religion, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, rules or regulations. We adhere to these principles in all aspects of employment, including recruiting, hiring, training, compensation, promotion and benefits.
We are driven by people - from more than 100 different countries, they build the company we are every day. Our diverse and inclusive culture encourages us to think outside the box, speak without fear, and be bold. We value the flexibility that our smart-working arrangements, our digital disconnection framework and our family-friendly practices bring to the new way of working.