Sustainable Schools Associate
San Rafael, CA, United States
30+ days ago
San Rafael City Schools
310 Nova Albion Way San Rafael CA 94903
Overview & Background
The Sustainable Schools Associate position (Fellow) is supported through an innovative partnership between Strategic Energy Innovations (SEI) and San Rafael City Schools (SRCS). Aimed at addressing a myriad of energy and environmental sustainability issues in the education system, this presents a distinct opportunity to shape sustainability practices at SRCS and to drive energy usage reduction goals.
Building on recent successes recognized with a Green Ribbon award (https://www.seiinc.org/stories/san-rafael-city-schools-receives-california-green-ribbon-schools-award), this Fellow has the unique opportunity to help shape the next generation of thinkers and doers by working with the district office on technical projects and working directly with students. Roles in educational sustainability require a distinct combination of aptitudes including project management, data analytics, teaching and climate equity-focused community development. A customized mix of on the job training, field work and classroom time will help the SRCS Program Candidate hone marketable skills and draw important professional connections while making a marked difference in the community.
The Fellow will serve as the main point of contact and primary driver of all sustainability projects. This person will coordinate and develop ongoing projects and work towards the district’s priority sustainability goals, which include Core Projects in the following areas:
- Work with architects and construction managers on Collaborative for High Performance Schools verification for all ongoing construction projects
- Use an integrated approach that combines infrastructure and education to form a more sustainable waste management system. Coordinate with teachers, custodians, and other key stakeholders to expand recycling and compost systems, help with custodial processes, and increase district waste diversion rates, with emphasis on the middle/high school level
- Verify utility meter data and track energy use through energy dashboards such as Portfolio Manager, using analytics to assess key points of intervention, develop dashboard and tracking systems
- Engage with all San Rafael City schools to assist with participation in energy savings competitions, long and short term
- Work with energy consultants on a Solar Feasibility Study and explore options for solar, energy storage, and microgrid systems across school sites
- Collaborate with the Maintenance & Operations team to execute the energy efficiency-focused Maintenance Plan, which serves to implement the district’s energy initiatives into everyday operations
- Support the Resilient Schools Collaborative with energy metrics and data, renewable energy credit registration and reporting, and feasibility assessment of resilience infrastructure, with a focus on community engagement and climate equity
- Monitor EV charging stations, using analytics to assess key points of intervention as one initiative to encourage green transportation
- Support registration and sale of the district’s Low Carbon Fuel Standard (LCFS) credits
- Support the Marin School of Environmental Leadership (MarinSEL) team with program administration and on the expansion of eco-literacy, particularly focusing on utilizing the campus as a living lab for sustainability projects, including the dimension of equity and climate justice.
- Update and finalize the district’s Sustainability Plan to reflect progress in recent initiatives and institute short and long-term sustainability goals.
- Other Fellow Projects such as water conservation, materials, support on Sustainability Committee
This position will run from October 2022 through August 2023. Applicants must be available and eligible to start by mid-late October 2022.
Climate Corps Fellows must have completed a 4-year degree by the time the program cycle starts. We are looking for emerging professionals with:
- An educational background in environmental policy, science, engineering, sustainable management or planning degrees (volunteer and internship experience will be considered).
- An understanding of clean energy and environmental policy.
- Community outreach and communications experience.
- Experience with research, data visualization, and energy data management.
- Experience working with children or students a plus
- An ability to work independently, problem solve, and work across several projects at a time.
- A connection to the placement location. This is an equal opportunity position and we prefer to place a candidate who already lives in the region being served.
- A commitment to working and learning within racial and gender equity frameworks.
- Additional requirements may depend on the specific position placement sought.
SEI requires all employees to be Vaccinated against COVID-19.
SEI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We strive to reflect the diverse communities we serve, especially those most impacted by climate change and other kinds of environmental, social, and economic injustices. Persons of color, persons with disabilities, older adults, and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly encouraged to apply.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $2,650.00 per month
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Work Location: Hybrid remote in San Rafael, CA 94903