Capital Corridor Project Fellow
Oakland, CA, United States
30+ days ago
Work Environment: Hybrid (Remote and On Site)
Term (approximate): September 2022 – June 2023
Benefits: Health care coverage, assistance with student loan deferments, professional development, industry networking, end-of-program certificate of completion.
Overview & Background
As a vital transit service in the Northern California megaregion, Capitol Corridor Joint Powers Authority (CCJPA) plays an important role in reducing car trips and the dangerous and polluting emissions that result from automobile travel. The Capitol Corridor Project Fellow will have the opportunity to work on projects and initiatives that will contribute to the management/maintenance of Capitol Corridor trains and stations and inform improvements to the Capitol Corridor service, thus contributing to increasing ridership and reduced VMTs (Vehicle Miles Traveled).
The Capitol Corridor Project Fellow will have the opportunity to work alongside key Capitol Corridor transportation service, planning, marketing, and administrative management staff. Some responsibilities may include the following:
- Learn the CCJPA Business Intelligence, Zoho, and other CCJPA databases and data sources; produce and update reports, presentations, and charts that track Capitol Corridor performance and are used to make improvements to the service
- Ride the Capitol Corridor train and visit stations throughout the Capitol Corridor route to collect data and perform other activities that support operational and special project needs
- Prepare for and attend project, staff, and CCJPA Board meetings
- Assist with operations, customer support, planning, marketing, and general administrative projects and functions
- Analysis of real-time ridership counter data including some work with machine learning and AI. This could also include studying how passengers would best like to receive the real-time information.
- Station Area Land Use – GIS capture of land use in station areas for densities allowed, more detailed uses at a scale for planning for future transbay rail crossing analysis, station typology database development, and other related actions to be developed with CCJPA Planning staff.
Past project fellows have worked on the following projects:
- Developed the Station Access Project which assessed each Capitol Corridor station for the walkability, bicycle and scooter access.
- Conducted GIS projects for safety and asset management.
- Calculated greenhouse gas emissions and reductions.
- Maintained operation metrics for publication on the Capitol Corridor website.
- Researched and compared different fare structures of passenger rail services.
- Supported marketing partnerships through ridership analysis.
- Organized industry conferences.
The fellow in this position will have the opportunity to hone their research, data analysis, reporting, customer service, and administrative/organizational skills. As well, the Capitol Corridor Project Fellow will learn about the management, operations, planning, service improvement, and marketing functions of a leading intercity passenger rail system that contributes to the region's trip and carbon reduction goals.
This position will be a combination located on-site in the CCJPA office in Oakland with the potential for remote work, as well as some travel to Capitol Corridor stations, while complying with public health orders.
SEI requires employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19.
SEI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to promoting diversity, inclusion, and equity. We believe that a wide array of perspectives contributes to creative climate solutions where all communities thrive. We strive to reflect diverse communities, especially those most impacted by climate change and other kinds of environmental, social, and economic injustices. Persons of color, persons with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly encouraged to apply. A commitment to work and learn within an anti-oppression framework is required. https://www.seiinc.org/dei.html
Capital Corridor Project Fellow
2150 Webster St. 3rd Floor Oakland CA 94612
End of program award
Location: 2150 Webster St. 3rd Floor Oakland CA 94612, Oakland, CA 94612
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $2,650.00 per month