Alumni Engagement Fellow
Oakland, CA, United States
30+ days ago
Rising Sun Center for Opportunity
1116 36th Street Oakland CA 94608
Work Environment: Hybrid, must be able to travel to office in Oakland, CA
Term (approximate): January 2023 – December 2023; 40 hours/week
Benefits: Health care coverage, assistance with student loan deferments, professional development, industry networking, end-of-program certificate of completion.
Background & Overview
About Rising Sun Center for Opportunity
Rising Sun Center for Opportunity is a premier nonprofit organization working at the intersection of economic equity and climate resilience in the greater California Bay Area since 1994. Rising Sun focuses on economic opportunity by operating two impactful programs: Climate Careers and Opportunity Build.
Our earn and learn youth program, Climate Careers, works with low-income participants, ages 15- 24 throughout the summer, providing no-cost Green House Calls to local residences. Green House Calls consist of an energy and water assessment and the installation of energy and water saving devices. This innovative program, through the combining of residential energy efficiency services and youth employment and development, provides career exposure and pathways to success.
Our adult program, Opportunity Build, provides job training, case management, and job placement services to low-income adults experiencing serious barriers to employment. Opportunity Build offers two training modules: Core, which is a certified Apprenticeship Readiness Program for individuals who want to enter the union building trades and pursue a construction career, and Solar, for those seeking to enter the solar industry as solar PV installers. The purpose of Opportunity Build is to provide individuals with a pathway out of poverty and into stable careers that offer family-sustaining wages and long-term opportunities.
About Energize Careers
The Energize Careers program aims to create a diverse and representational sustainability workforce through the economic empowerment of people who experience barriers to employment by helping them to access high-wage, high-growth green career opportunities. The Energize Careers Program provides holistic services to support people experiencing employment barriers through technical training, job placement, and employment support. Energize Careers training partners include pre-apprenticeship programs, apprenticeship programs, community-based training organizations, and community colleges to provide technical sustainability training to underserved individuals, and we collaborate with wrap around service providers and industry partners to provide participants with services and support to secure and retain high-wage, high-growth green career opportunities.
This Energize Careers Fellowship is a full time position based at Rising Sun, a leading community-based energy and construction career training organization. The Fellow in this position will support the full range of Rising Sun energy and construction career training programs in the Bay Area and San Joaquin Valley.
Roles & Responsibilities
Responsibilites may include:
- Coordinate the implementation of a new alumni engagement program for Opportunity Build graduates
- Organize events, workshops, and networking opportunities for alumni to build community, increase skills, and knowledge specific to careers in the building trades
- Support the formation and coordination of an alumni advisory council
- Input data into Salesforce and other databases
- Various research as needed to support departmental projects and goals
- Working in close coordination with all members of the Opportunity Build team to meet graduation, placement, and retention goals, as well as to ensure a seamless, positive experience for each participant
- Other responsibilities as needed; reports to the Senior Program Manager and is a contributing member of the Opportunity Build team
- Excitement about supporting the mission of a nonprofit focused on equity, jobs, and climate
- Academic, professional, or volunteer experience in non-profits working with adults
- Enjoys working in the community and meeting new people; possesses strong relationship-building skills; able to develop rapport and build trust with a diverse range of individuals
- Proactive and timely about meeting goals and deadlines
- Strong organizational management skills and exceptional attention to detail
- Commitment to equity and social justice
- Demonstrates self awareness, in terms of understanding their own culture, identity, biases, prejudices, power, privilege, and stereotypes
- Based in the Bay Area; able and willing to work out of our Oakland office often
- Adhere to all Rising Sun policies, including the Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccine Policy for Employees
Applications for this fellowship will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
SEI requires all employees to be Vaccinated against COVID-19.
SEI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We strive to reflect the diverse communities we serve, especially those most impacted by climate change and other kinds of environmental, social, and economic injustices. Persons of color, persons with disabilities, older adults, and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly encouraged to apply.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $2,255.00 per month