Mountain View, CA, United States
30+ days ago
City of Mountain View
500 Castro St. Mountain View CA 94041
Location: Mountain View, CA
Work Environment: Hybrid
Term (approximate): November 2022 - June 2023
Additional Pay: $4000 bonus upon program completion
Benefits: Health care coverage, assistance with student loan deferments, professional development, industry networking, end-of-program certificate of completion.
Overview & Background
The City of Mountain View is committed to providing exceptional service to our community, and we want YOU to join our dynamic, talented, and professional team! Now the heart of Silicon Valley, Mountain View is home to approximately 82,000 residents and equal that many employees from a multitude of start-ups and established companies such as Google, LinkedIn, Microsoft, Intuit, Symantec, and many others.
Through the Climate Corps program, Mountain View is interested in hosting 2 Specialists to support its expanding Sustainability program. The Sustainability Specialists will work in the Sustainability Division, located in the City Manager’s Office.
We are looking for candidates to help with both our community engagement, and policy/program development goals related to climate action and resilience, greenhouse gas emissions reductions, carbon neutrality, and equity. This is a great opportunity for individuals with strong creative, analytical, and communication skills who want to work with passionate staff to make a real difference! You will engage with our residents, businesses, and city employees from across the organization.
Responsibilities (but not limited to):
- Help implement community engagement campaigns targeted at residents, businesses, and city employees, focused on encouraging behavior change around building and transportation electrification
- Manage all elements of our "Cool Block" program and launch a third cohort of community members
- Utilize our "Collaborate Mountain View" platform to engage with community members
- Launch programs to help the community reduce its carbon footprint and live more sustainably
- Develop social media content to support sustainability campaigns, including videos
- Develop outreach materials, including flyers and ads
- Plan, organize, and host community and employee engagement events (some during evenings and weekends)
- Update the web site, including writing and posting content
- Conduct research on various environmental, climate resilience, and equity topics, and compile, analyze, and summarize the data
- Help develop municipal policies and ordinances
- Work with city staff to gather data, track metrics, and report on the City’s progress toward achieving its sustainability goals
- Assist with developing programs and implementing actions in the current "Sustainability Action Plan"
- Support the Sustainability team with Council or Committee meetings
- Assist with writing and publishing agendas, staff reports, and minutes
- Respond to public inquiries and assist with research as needed
- Attend occasional evening meetings
- Apply for awards
- Writing: has strong writing skills
- Speaking: is comfortable and enjoys engaging with employees and the public
- Detail-oriented: dots all the “i’s”, crosses all the “t’s”, and double-checks their work
- Outreach: has experience in various aspects of community engagement and social media campaigns (primarily Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Nextdoor)
- Creative: is skilled in designing flyers, brochures, and other outreach materials
- Research and Analysis: enjoys conducting research, synthesizing data, and developing policies and programs
- Quantitative: is comfortable using Excel to perform intermediate-level calculations and analysis
- Bright: learns quickly and is not afraid to ask questions
- Energetic: takes initiative
- Committed / passionate about sustainability
Minimum requirements include a Bachelor’s degree in Public Policy, Public Administration, Environmental Studies, Business Administration, Economics, Political Science, Urban Planning, or a related field. Candidates who are completing, or who have completed, a Master’s degree in Environmental Studies/Sustainability/Science or related field are preferred.
The Sustainability team currently works in the office two days per week and remotely three days per week. Depending on the situation with COVID-19, the Specialists may partially or fully work from home.
Applications for this fellowship will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
SEI requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19.
SEI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We strive to reflect the diverse communities we serve, especially those most impacted by climate change and other kinds of environmental, social, and economic injustices. Persons of color, persons with disabilities, older adults, and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly encouraged to apply.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $2,975.00 per month