Sustainability Data Fellow
Baltimore, MD, United States
30+ days ago
University of Maryland, Baltimore
620 W Lexington St, 6103A Baltimore Maryland 21201
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Work Environment: Hybrid
Term (approximate): January 3, 2023 – October 31, 2023
Additional Pay: $500 bonus upon program completion
Benefits: Health care coverage, assistance with student loan deferments, professional development, industry networking, end-of-program certificate of completion.
Background & Overview
About the University of Maryland, Baltimore Office of Sustainability
The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) is Maryland’s public health, law, and human services university. Six professional schools and the interdisciplinary Graduate School confer the majority of health care, human services, and law professional degrees in Maryland each year. The UMB Office of Sustainability was created in 2021 and guides sustainability initiatives at the university, including greenhouse gas emissions reduction in support of campus carbon neutrality; climate resilience in campus planning and operations; and source reduction, reuse, and recycling.
Position Overview & Description
The Sustainability Data Fellow will be tasked with developing several tools to facilitate data visualization and resource efficiency at the University of Maryland, Baltimore. The main project the role will undertake is developing a sustainability progress dashboard for the university to display energy, waste, and procurement data, among other metrics. Other projects will include a tree inventory geodatabase, materials-sharing platform, and energy reports. The fellow will build tools to assist UMB’s Office of Sustainability in meeting the goals laid out in the 2022-2026 Sustainability Strategic Plan.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Developing a sustainability progress dashboard for the university to display energy, waste, procurement, and other data
- Creating a campus tree inventory geodatabase by using historical data and open data from Baltimore City
- Development of a user-friendly platform for materials sharing for the entire campus community (furniture, lab consumables, office supplies, and other items)
- Sharing building-specific energy reports with the facilities and operations teams at each of UMB’s seven schools (School of Medicine, Pharmacy, Dentistry, etc.)
- Background in data analysis
- Experience with data visualization
- Experience with dashboard development tools, especially PowerBI or Tableau
- Familiarity with spatial analytics, especially ArcGIS
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Interest or experience in climate justice and diversity, equity, and inclusion in the sustainability field
SEI requires employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19.
SEI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to promoting diversity, inclusion, and equity. We believe that a wide array of perspectives contributes to creative climate solutions where all communities thrive. We strive to reflect diverse communities, especially those most impacted by climate change and other kinds of environmental, social, and economic injustices. Persons of color, persons with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly encouraged to apply. A commitment to work and learn within an anti- oppression framework is required. https://www.seiinc.org/dei.html
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $2,650.00 per month