4 days ago
Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI) is seeking a Web Developer to join our Communications team. This hire will work with our Senior Creative Director, Web Manager, and in-house design team to help create websites, web applications, and interactive data visualizations to increase RMI’s scale and impact.
We highly encourage individuals of underrepresented groups to apply!
Develop prototypes and production-quality code to realize design mockups
- Write and maintain internal documentation for websites, applications, and data visualizations
- Test and debug websites, applications, and data visualizations
- Update and maintain existing websites and applications
- Provide feedback and input on UX, UI, and user stories to advocate for the user and developer experience
- Work with internal clients to discover and define requirements and user stories
- Provide estimates for and help triage development work
- Monitor, assess, and continually improve RMI's web properties
- Continually improve web-related workflows and processes
- Assist with overseeing design and development vendors
- Collect and review relevant web analytics to monitor for bugs and opportunities to improve user-experience and to provide stakeholders with valuable data and insights
- Work closely with the Web Manager to ensure that final products adhere to predetermined budgets, scope, and specs
- Continue to develop your skills; stay aware of emerging technologies/industry trends and, when appropriate, incorporate them into our work
- Support our design, social media, and email marketing teams as needed with technical support and troubleshooting related to web development
- Proficient with Git
- Proficient with command-line tools and workflows relevant to front-end web development
- At least 2+ years web development experience or completion of an intensive web development bootcamp and a portfolio that demonstrates proficiency and skill set
- Experience working for a creative agency or nonprofit
- Experience creating interactive data visualizations with D3.js and/or similar charting libraries
- Experience with Python, especially creating data visualizations in Python
- Experience with PHP and theme development for one or more open-source CMS platforms such as WordPress, Laravel, or Drupal
- Experience with WordPress child theme or custom theme development is ideal but not required
- Experience solving UX and UI problems and advocating for the user
- Experience auditing for accessibility issues and writing accessible code
- Experience auditing for performance issues and writing performant code
- Desire to continuously learn new skills
- Basic to intermediate experience with SEO
- Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager
- Some experience working with design tools (Adobe Suite, Sketch, Figma), or experience working closely with a design team, and a strong design literacy
- Experience or interest in data visualization and creation of interactive tools.
- Ability to multitask with strict time constraints, budgets and business goals
- Strong communication skills
- An intense drive for results and impact
- Passion to change the way we use energy and tackle climate change
We are a remote-ready company with team members around the globe. Our beautiful and welcoming offices are available for meetings or focused work, whether you are traveling through or living nearby. Our U.S. offices are in New York City; Washington DC; Oakland, California; Boulder, Colorado, and Basalt, Colorado. This role can be located from anywhere in the continental United States.
We provide you with the essential IT equipment plus a one-time home technology payment and a monthly work from home/commuter allowance to ensure you have a comfortable home office set up and necessary supplies.
We love seeing each other in person! We occasionally gather for shared time together like retreats and learning experiences. Be ready to travel for occasional in-person meetings (and of course, we cover travel costs). Some roles may require more travel, which will be discussed during the hiring process.
As a U.S. federal contractor, RMI must comply with requirements outlined in Executive Order Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors. This Executive Order requires that all federal contractors and subcontractors mandate and verify that all U.S. based employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are based in the U.S., you will be required to provide proof of full vaccination status as a condition of employment. You may request accommodation for medical or religious reasons. If you are based outside of the U.S., this requirement does not apply.
RMI compensates based on the level and requirements of the role. Salary within our ranges may also be determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as required by the role, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data. Typically, new Web Developers join at the minimum to mid salary range of $86,000 - $96,000. You would also have an additional 5% bonus target!
- We offer a comprehensive benefits package adjusted to regional norms, including (for U.S. employment):
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (up to 5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Work from home and commuter allowance
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.