Waste Methane Data Manager - Climate Aligned Industries
4 days ago
Are you passionate about the energy transition? Do you have experience overseeing and structuring analytical problem solving for a growing team of analysts? Are you a true “data person” with a builder mindset? If yes, then join our growing Climate Aligned Industries team!
RMI is leading the Energy Transition by creating market and technological solutions to impact Climate Change. RMI is seeking a Data Manager for our Climate Aligned Industries program to support the Waste Methane Initiative.
We highly encourage individuals of underrepresented groups to apply!
Application deadline: January 11th, 2023 @ 11:59pm MT
The ClimateAlignedIndustries (CAI) Program focuses on decarbonizing hard to abate sectors, implementing market mechanisms and supporting policy implementation to limit global warming to 1.5oC and achieve cost parity for decarbonization solutions. It currently brings together heavy industry sectors (aviation, cement, chemicals, steel and shipping) with our cross-cutting green hydrogen projects (The GreenHydrogen Catapult and Industrial Hubs). The Waste Methane Initiative leverages this sectoral approach in rethinking the whole waste value chain to catalyze industry change and transition to a more circular economy.
The WasteMethane initiative aims to reduce methane emissions from the waste sector, starting with municipal solid waste, by tackling organic waste and its associated emissions across the entire value chain.As the third largest contributor of anthropogenic methane emissions, accounting for almost 20% of methane emissions, the waste sector is critical to meeting our global climate targets. We’re partnering with waste management companies, policy makers, financial institutions, and the academic community to improve emissions visibility and mobilize resources in the waste sector. We’re also working with the Global Methane Hub to help countries meet the challenge of reducing methane emissions by 30% in the next decade by bringing together critical emissions information and mitigation resources on an open access platform.
RMI is looking to hire a Data Manager to join theWaste Methane Initiative. Experience overseeing large datasets, designing and building data platforms, as well as mentoring additional team members in building their analytical skillset is a requirement. Previous experience in the waste sector, environmental compliance, emissions accounting, executing multivariate analysis, and greenhouse gas life cycle analysis is highly regarded.The Data manager will lead the development of a Waste Methane Assessment Platform(WMAP) by delivering sectoral data insights and tools that are accurate and actionable for maximum emissions reduction impact.
The goal of the Waste MAP is to increase transparency of solid waste methane emissions around the world using a combination of inventory, modeling, and measurement data, including Greenhouse Gas Reporting Program, aerial campaigns, satellite measurement, as well as other facility data such as waste generation, composition, facility location, etc. This emissions heat map will also incorporate a decision support tool that will function as the user-interface of the platform and allow users to establish a baseline of emissions at the project or city level and estimate emissions reductions of alternative treatment scenarios.A similar platform developed by RMI’sOil and GasSolutions Initiative can be found here: https://ociplus.rmi.org/
Data Manager Core Responsibilities
- Oversee data management and data analytics for growing team of Climate analysts
- Mentor fellow team-members on data analytical work streams, software packages and skillsets
- Lead the development of data infrastructure that systematizes and vertically integrates data collection, processing, assimilation, and presentation into an efficient and scalable process
- Develop methods to process disparate data sources that follow differing reporting standards to produce datasets that are self-consistent
- Develop methods for systematic and robust quality control of all data
- Work with team to identify trends and synthesize insights driven by trends in the data; produce insights and recommendations in an understandable and accessible manner
- Execute statistical analysis of multivariate spatiotemporal datasets
- Undertake open source data aggregation pertinent to the waste sector, emissions reporting and business activity
- Develop reporting methods, dashboards and visual platforms for analytics and insights into the sources of greenhouse gas emissions
- Manage stakeholder relations with waste management companies, regulators, academia, and technical experts
- Offer technical assistance on emissions monitoring capabilities and greenhouse gas inventory calculations
- Synthesize recommendations into clear and compelling presentations and written reports
- Present quantitative information in a clear, visual format
Additional Manager duties shall include:
- Responsibility for managing projects, budgeting and deliverables for program initiatives
- Contributing to strategy-level conversations about initiatives and RMI
- Representing RMI externally at mid-level technical events and small to mid-sized groups
- Master’s level degree, equivalent, or higher, in data science, statistics, computer science, engineering, environment, economics, or energy-related discipline
- 5+ years’ experience in data modeling & data science
- Experience with statistical software and programming languages(e.g., R,Python, MATLAB, pandas) and database languages (e.g., SQL)
- Excellent time management, organization, entrepreneurship, and drive
- Has a builder mindset and is a true “data person” with a vision of what we will need to pipe in now as well as future-proof for an expanding initiative
- Ability to break down high-level business problems into concrete analytical solutions
- An entrepreneurial nature; not afraid to think outside the box
- A demonstrated history of successfully executing projects and accomplishing high-level goal
- Experience with dash boarding or BI software and spatial analysis tools (GIS)
- People-leader and experience managing teams
- Prior experience in consulting, project management, or other related fields
- Familiarity with emissions reporting, GHG lifecycle analysis, waste sector, energy, or climate science
- Applied experience with machine learning on large datasets
- Experience using cloud-based tools for data storage and processing (Azure, AWS, Google Cloud,etc.)
We invite candidates with a variety of skillsets, educational and work backgrounds. The ideal start date is January 2023.
We are a remote-ready company with team members around the globe. Our beautiful and welcoming offices are available for meetings or focused work, whether you are traveling through or living nearby. Our U.S.offices are in New York City; Washington DC; Oakland, California; Boulder,Colorado, and Basalt, Colorado. This role can be located from anywhere in the continental United States.
We provide you with the essential IT equipment plus a one-time home technology payment and a monthly work from home/commuter allowance to ensure you have a comfortable home office set up and necessary supplies.
We love seeing each other in person! We occasionally gather for shared time together like retreats and learning experiences. Be ready to travel for occasional in-person meetings (and of course, we cover travel costs). Some roles may require more travel, which will be discussed during the hiring process.
Important Note: As a U.S.federal contractor, RMI must comply with requirements outlined ExecutiveOrder Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors. ThisExecutive Order requires that all federal contractors and subcontractors mandate and verify that all U.S. based employees are fully vaccinated againstCOVID-19. If you are based in the U.S., you will be required to provide proof of full vaccination status as a condition of employment. You may request an accommodation for medical or religious reasons. If you are based outside of the U.S., this requirement does not apply.
RMI compensates based on the level and requirements of the role. Salary within our ranges may also be determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as required by the role, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data. Typically, new Managers based in the U.S. join at the minimum to mid salary range of $103,000-$121,000.You would also have an additional 10% bonus target!
We offer a comprehensive benefits package adjusted to regional norms, including (for U.S. employment):
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (up to 5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Work from home and commuter allowance
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New YorkCity; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.