Sustainable Aviation Fuels Manager
24 days ago
At RMI, we know how important it is during the holiday season to spend time with family and friends, get much-needed rest and relaxation and recharge for the coming year. That’s why our employees receive a paid holiday from Christmas through New Year’s Day to do just that! If you are applying to this position, you may not hear from us over the coming weeks. Not to worry! We won’t forget about you and will be in touch after the new year. Happy Holidays!
Do you love solving challenging problems, thinking about dynamic systems, and working in groups? Do you have the self-motivation, curiosity, creativity, and ability to guide others toward meaningful results? Do you have a passion for making the world a better place? If yes, then join our growing team!
Individuals of underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply!
RMI’s Aviation team works to accelerate the transition to net-zero air travel by catalyzing production of sustainable aviation fuels (SAF) and developing market infrastructure that enables and scales SAF demand within the aviation value chain. The Aviation team is part of the overall Climate Aligned Industries (CAI) program, which works to decarbonize heavy industry and heavy transportation. We collaborate with a global network of businesses, financial institutions, and policymakers to facilitate and scale emissions reductions in these industrial sectors.
RMI is seeking a Sustainable Aviation Fuels Subject Matter Expert to support the CAI Aviation team in designing solutions to stimulate new demand and supply for SAF. This position will provide subject matter expertise to enable the success of RMI’s aviation decarbonization work and will also collaborate with other RMI internal teams on emissions reductions along industrial supply chains, market engagement, and virtual sustainability attributes. This expert will help guide RMI’s work in the Sustainable Aviation Buyers Alliance (SABA), and the World Economic Forum’s Clean Skies for Tomorrow Demand Signal working group, as well as other related work and initiatives.
- Provide SAF subject matter expertise to refine the design and accelerate the adoption of a SAF certificate system together with fellow subject matter experts and leaders inside and outside of RMI.
- Partner with collaborators to develop, pilot, and scale successful solutions to the world’s toughest energy challenges.
- Shape and deliver strategic program elements, coordinating small teams to deliver objectives.
- Support development of team members and the Institute on technical subject matter relevant to aviation decarbonization including SAF.
- Effectively communicate activities internally at RMI, including close coordination with other RMI colleagues working on supply chain traceability.
- Mentor staff at senior associate level and below, developing a cohesive, enthusiastic, supportive, and high-performing team culture
- Represent RMI to external partners and public audiences at conferences, meetings, and through written materials
- Demonstrate organization-wide leadership jointly with other RMI managers, helping maintain a culture of impact, accountability, and entrepreneurship
- Undergraduate degree
- 8+ years of experience in Sustainable Aviation Fuels
- Experience leading high-performing teams in a project-based work environment
- Experience with the clean energy transition, climate change, environmental justice, or related topics
- Ability to travel 10-20% (once public health conditions allow)
- Excellent work references
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- A graduate degree in environmental science, environmental policy, engineering or business
- Connections across the sustainable aviation fuels supply chain – feedstock and fuel producers and suppliers, airlines, airports, regulators, trade associations and air transport customers – and the broader aviation value chain
- Experience managing junior team members including providing coaching and mentorship, and managing performance reviews
- Experience managing complex and diverse groups, paired with the ability to lead and navigate challenging conversations
- Knowledge areas:
- Sustainable fuel markets, feedstock sustainability, delivery logistics, and chain of custody and alternative tracking systems
- Environmental life cycle assessment
- Environmental attribute certificate standards and products
- Voluntary carbon accounting frameworks
- Corporate environmental and social governance frameworks (SBTi, GHG Protocol, CDP, SASB…)
- Carbon offsets and removal
- Heavy transport and harder-to-abate industries
The position will remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the COVID-19 situation improves, it is preferred that this role will be based out of one of our offices in Oakland, CA, Washington, D.C., New York City, Boulder, CO, or Basalt, CO. This will be discussed further throughout the interview process.
Important Note: As a U.S. federal contractor, RMI must comply with requirements outlined Executive Order Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors. This Executive Order requires that all federal contractors and subcontractors mandate and verify that all U.S. based employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are based in the U.S., you will be required to provide proof of full vaccination status as a condition of employment. You may request an accommodation for medical or religious reasons. If you are based outside of the U.S., this requirement does not apply.
The target base salary is $120,000. This role has an additional 10% annual bonus target. Salary to be determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match immediately)
- Generous PTO and sick leave
- Learning & Development opportunities (including unlimited LinkedIn Learning access)
- Parental leave
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long-Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
RMI transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of nearly 315 works relentlessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with an annual budget of $70 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing, China.