Specialist, Data & Tools - Third Derivative
30+ days ago
Third Derivative Program Overview
Tackling the climate crisis is a once-in-a-generation, trillion-dollar economic opportunity, and the world needs a healthy global innovation engine to identify and massively scale new climate technology solutions that will speed up the clean energy transition.
Founded by RMI and New Energy Nexus for this purpose, Third Derivative (D3) is a global climate technology startup accelerator aimed at accelerating the rate of climate innovation. Our mission is to build an inclusive ecosystem that rapidly finds, funds, and scales climate tech innovation globally.
We’ve built a vertically-integrated startup accelerator model to back this, which unites investors, corporates, market and policy experts, and startups to work together to increase the success and speed to market for climate innovation.
Since our launch in December 2020, our ecosystem includes $4T+ market cap of corporate partners, $7B+ AUM of investor partners (across five continents), and 110 startups reflecting climate innovations solving for all major emissions sectors.
D3 is seeking a Specialist to join its Infrastructure team, which is responsible for managing the critical data and tools required to drive the program’s performance.
D3’s team and ecosystem operate globally and primarily in a virtual environment. As such, D3’s suite of software tools are essential to the program’s success. Further, as the D3 program grows, so does the volume of data that is generated. The Specialist will ensure that the program is effectively utilizing data to drive internal decision-making and climate impact for all stakeholders in the ecosystem - startups, corporates, investors, experts, and mentors. The Specialist will have the opportunity to work cross-functionally with a wide range of data and tools to support efforts related to outreach, industry research, startup evaluation and selection, ecosystem engagement and satisfaction, impact measurement, and more.
The ideal candidate will be a spreadsheet and database wizard with a mind for setting up strong foundational infrastructure, an ability to conduct analysis and glean valuable insights from data, and a knack for making user-friendly tools and reports that effectively communicate information with a variety of audiences.
- Support the overall development, improvement, and maintenance of all D3 databases and tools – ensuring that D3 collects and maintains high quality data and effectively designs and integrates its suite of platforms.
- Create standardized reports and data visualization tools for internal and external audiences.
- Drive insights and strategic planning for the program by leveraging data analysis.
- Support research, testing, and implementations of new database and tool solutions that will improve program performance.
- Interface with ecosystem members - startups, corporates, investors, mentors, experts - to ensure that D3’s infrastructure is best serving its key external stakeholders.
- Manage the documentation of all data management standard operating procedures including collection, storage, maintenance, analysis, and reporting.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in data analysis and management or related field.
- Extreme comfort and proficiency working in spreadsheet applications.
- Experience and comfort working in cloud-based database applications.
- Experience building user-friendly spreadsheet-based dashboards and models - including familiarity with data validation, conditional formatting, and data visualization functionalities.
- Experience conducting analysis and manipulating large datasets, including familiarity with advanced formula development (logic statements, look-ups, etc.).
- Experience auditing datasets for data quality and conducting clean-up projects.
- Experience with Airtable, Salesforce, or Hubspot a plus.
- Experience in coding or software APIs a plus.
Important Note: As a U.S. federal contractor, RMI must comply with requirements outlined Executive Order Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors. This Executive Order requires that all federal contractors and subcontractors mandate and verify that all U.S. based employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are based in the U.S., you will be required to provide proof of full vaccination status as a condition of employment. You may request an accommodation for medical or religious reasons. If you are based outside of the U.S., this requirement does not apply.
The starting salary range for this position is $71,000 - $85,000. Salary is commensurate with experience. This role will have an additional 5% bonus target.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Casual work environment that promotes work-life balance
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.