19 days ago
RMI, formerly Rocky Mountain Institute, is seeking a senior editor with a journalistic background and a strong portfolio of editing and writing in the areas of energy, clean energy, and climate. Experience at top-tier general and/or trade media is a highly valued; past work at an NGO editing, writing, and creating thought leadership is likewise a plus.
The role combines craft — a writer’s curiosity, an aspiration to innovate, and a yin for creativity — with commitment to rigorous editorial quality and knack for how to package a story. A successful hire should have eight or more years of experience in journalistic or equivalent writing on the technical aspects of energy and climate.
We highly encourage individuals of underrepresented groups to apply!
Responsibilities and expectations
- They will be part of RMI’s Communications and Marketing team and report to the Managing Editor
- The senior editor works across RMI’s program teams — operations, design, marketing, development, web, and social — along with external partners and freelancers to support the writing, production, and editing of content spanning RMI’s global portfolio.
- Most of the work will be editing, but they will also report and write compelling and original content for RMI’s site, publications, and annual report, including explanatory articles and profiles, as well as richly reported magazine-style features.
- Manage production of regular newsletters, working with the marketing team to refine its design and content to continuously improve engagement metrics.
- Able to mentor/coach marketing and communications colleagues and project teams in the areas of story conception, framing, writing, and editing.
- Sector knowledge of buildings, electricity, US climate policy, climate finance, industry, climate Intelligence, and/or climate tech startups is prioritized. Also valuable: familiarity with climate issues across China, India, the Global South, cities, and/or mobility.
- Confident and comfortable working with senior leaders, subject matter experts, and technical experts, collaborating them to clearer, more relatable storytelling.
- Exhibit high level of curiosity and deep dedication to RMI’s mission.
Skills and experience
- Proficiency with audience-based communications, shaping stories and content to various B2B, B2C, and expert audiences with varying levels of depth and voice.
- Experience in multimedia storytelling a plus, including audio, video, social, photography, dynamic web media, etc.
- Numeracy and capability to conceive, draft, edit charts, graphs, explanatory diagrams and relayed data visualizations.
- Proficiency with WordPress or other web CMS.
We are a remote-ready company with team members around the globe. Our beautiful and welcoming offices are available for meetings or focused work, whether you are traveling through or living nearby. Our U.S. offices are in New York City; Washington DC; Oakland, California; Boulder, Colorado, and Basalt, Colorado. This role can be located from anywhere in the continental United States.
We provide you with the essential IT equipment plus a one-time home technology payment and a monthly work from home/commuter allowance to ensure you have a comfortable home office set up and necessary supplies.
We love seeing each other in person! We occasionally gather for shared time together like retreats and learning experiences. Be ready to travel for occasional in-person meetings (and of course, we cover travel costs). Some roles may require more travel, which will be discussed during the hiring process.
As a U.S. federal contractor, RMI must comply with requirements outlined in Executive Order Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors. This Executive Order requires that all federal contractors and subcontractors mandate and verify that all U.S. based employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are based in the U.S., you will be required to provide proof of full vaccination status as a condition of employment. You may request accommodation for medical or religious reasons. If you are based outside of the U.S., this requirement does not apply.
RMI compensates based on the level and requirements of the role. Salary within our ranges may also be determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as required by the role, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data. Typically, new Senior Editors join at the minimum to mid salary range of $72,000 - $90,000. You would also have an additional 5% bonus target!
- We offer a comprehensive benefits package adjusted to regional norms, including (for U.S. employment):
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (up to 5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Work from home and commuter allowance
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.