Principal - Carbon Free Mobility
26 days ago
Are you a seasoned people leader with experience driving an equitable clean energy transition? Do you enjoy plunging into unfamiliar disciplines and testing new ideas? Are you a collaborative and strong team player who can also be a respected change agent from within? Do you have a passion for RMI’s mission? If yes, then join our growing team!
We highly encourage individuals of underrepresented groups to apply!
Program Overview (CFM)
Our Carbon-Free Mobility Program is spearheading a rapid and equitable transition to clean transportation in India, China, the United States, Europe, and the Global South. We work to accelerate the pace and scale of vehicle electrification from the grid up and de-risk the EV transition to unlock private investment.
The future of mobility must be:
1. Electric: making zero tailpipe emissions the norm in a 1.5°C-aligned timeframe
2. Connected: building out smart and ubiquitous infrastructure
3. Equitable: developing healthy, accessible, and affordable transportation for all
Our strategy includes
- Policy and implementation support for national and subnational governments
- Advanced data analysis to provide decision-makers with actionable information
- Industry convening and co-creation to define new pathways and initiate positive ambition loops
- Communications campaigns to create unavoidable visibility and irreversible demand for zero pollution products and services
- Finance solutions to ensure equitable access to loans and clean vehicles and to unlock multilateral and bilateral development finance and channel it to the highest impact e-mobility programs globally
RMI’s Carbon Free Mobility Program is seeking a Principal to support and co-lead our growing initiatives. In this role, your work portfolio will include grant-funded initiatives and contract projects, ranging from weeks to years in duration; thought leadership through publications and partnerships; and multi-stakeholder convening and collaboration.
As a Principal, you will be responsible for a large portfolio of projects and for managing a team of 4-8 people that will work with and for you. You will be one of the primary representatives of our work with external partners, including business leaders, national and sub-national government officials, donors, clients, and partners. You will also represent the Carbon Free Mobility Program and RMI at events and conferences.
Together with the other CFM Principals, you will have significant responsibility for managing program operations, including conducting performance reviews, acting as a career advisor, and coordinating staffing decisions. You will also collaborate with the Program’s Managing Director to develop and implement strategy for the program.
In support of our growing work to accelerate transportation decarbonization globally, we are specifically looking for Principal candidates who can each lead and contribute in one or more of the following areas:
- Manage research teams and partner with collaborators to develop, implement, and scale successful solutions to decarbonize passenger and freight transportation systems.
- Shape and execute CFM’s project, campaign, and initiative strategies to accelerate the adoption of clean transportation solutions together with fellow Principals and the Managing Director.
- Engage in development, fundraising, and outreach activities to raise funds and revenue support for the CFM Program.
- Manage and lead business development initiatives, including sourcing and developing proposals, grant applications and management, and directing the cultivation of fee-for-service collaborations with industry partners and the private sector.
- Manage and support 4-8 direct reports.
- Develop and maintain partnerships and collaborate with other organizations to achieve shared goals, including direct support and consulting engagements.
- Structure and deliver compelling presentations and written products to bring new insights to target audiences.
- Communicate with stakeholders across government, business, and non-profit organizations.
- Support development of team members through engagement in their professional development, with specific responsibility to support their growth as electricity decarbonization experts.
- Support the CFM Program’s Managing Director in interactions with RMI Senior Leadership and Board.
- 10+ years of relevant professional experience in a relevant field, such as energy policy, transportation policy, climate policy, energy finance, transportation electrification, energy storage, business, law, or other fields relevant to the decarbonization of energy and transportation systems
- 5+ years as a team manager or people leader
- Experience successfully leading teams in a project-based work environment
- Experience managing junior team members, including providing coaching and mentorship, and managing performance reviews
- Demonstrated success in forging and cultivating major collaborative relationships or coalitions to achieve shared objectives across the public, private, and nonprofit sectors
- Experience managing complex and diverse groups, including leading and navigating dynamic conversations
- A graduate degree
- Substantial experience (5+ years) working with utilities, environmental not for profit organizations or groups, community-based organizations, policymakers, and/or the clean energy and transportation industry
- Established expertise with and knowledge of the social, economic, technical, and political issues specific to decarbonizing the transportation sectors
- Experience facilitating multi-stakeholder groups working on complex topics
- Preference will be given to candidates with specific knowledge of and experience working in the U.S., China, India, Southeast Asia, and/or Africa; knowledge of and experience beyond these geographies is welcomed
- Additional Qualifications
- Ability to travel 20–30%
- Evidence of good work references
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Experience leading projects that involve quantitative analysis
We are a remote-ready company with team members around the globe. Our beautiful and welcoming offices are available for meetings or focused work, whether you are traveling through or living nearby. Our U.S. offices are in New York City; Washington DC; Oakland, California; Boulder, Colorado, and Basalt, Colorado. This role can be located from anywhere in the continental United States.
We provide you with the essential IT equipment plus a one-time home technology payment and a monthly work from home/commuter allowance to ensure you have a comfortable home office set up and necessary supplies.
We love seeing each other in person! We occasionally gather for shared time together like retreats and learning experiences. Be ready to travel for occasional in-person meetings (and of course, we cover travel costs). Some roles may require more travel, which will be discussed during the hiring process.
Important Note: As a U.S. federal contractor, RMI must comply with requirements outlined in Executive Order Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors. This Executive Order requires that all federal contractors and subcontractors mandate and verify that all U.S. based employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are based in the U.S., you will be required to provide proof of full vaccination status as a condition of employment. You may request accommodation for medical or religious reasons. If you are based outside of the U.S., this requirement does not apply.
RMI compensates based on the level and requirements of the role. Salary within our ranges may also be determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as required by the role, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data. Typically, new [role type: Associates, Managers, etc.] join at the minimum to mid salary range of $134,000 - $157,000. You would also have an additional 20% bonus target!
- We offer a comprehensive benefits package adjusted to regional norms, including (for U.S. employment):
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (up to 5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Work from home and commuter allowance
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.