Petrochemicals and Refining Associate / Sr Associate
9 days ago
Do you love solving challenging problems, thinking about dynamic systems, and working in groups? Do you also have the self-motivation, curiosity, creativity, and ability to persuade others toward meaningful results? Do you have a passion for making the world a better place? If yes, then join our growing team! RMI is leading the clean energy transition by creating market and technological solutions to address climate change.
RMI is seeking an Associate or Senior Associate to support our Oil and Gas Solutions (OGSI) initiative. RMIers bring a variety of skillsets, and we welcome candidates with diverse educational and work backgrounds. We will carefully review each application to determine the appropriate starting position level (Associate or Senior Associate), and this will be communicated during the interview process.
We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply!
RMI’s Climate Intelligence Program focuses on making emissions visible and translating data into actionable insights and tools for those best positioned to reduce emissions. We collaborate with a global network of NGOs, academics, policymakers, financial institutions, and businesses to enable emissions reductions in some of the highest emitting industrial sectors. Our work focuses not only on quantifying the risks of climate inaction but also on identifying emerging opportunities to meet 1.5-degree climate targets.
RMI is looking to hire an Associate or Senior Associate for our Climate Intelligence program, with a focus on life-cycle analysis of greenhouse gas emissions from petrochemical and oil refining supply chains. You will work with the Climate Intelligence leadership team to develop and analyze emissions accounting from various process streams, with an emphasis on US and global petrochemical manufacturing.
Your Key Responsibilities:
- Develop, model, and evaluate process simulations for petrochemical emission sources throughout the value chain.
- Operate and create analytical tools for handling multivariate datasets, including oil and gas emissions and operational activity data.
- Support and sometimes lead stakeholder relations with refinery and petrochemical plant operators, industry consultants, regulators, and academic researchers.
- Offer technical assistance on emissions-monitoring capabilities, greenhouse gas inventory calculations, and process engineering.
- Engage with community of methane, greenhouse gas, and air toxic experts and industry leaders.
- Perform literature reviews and data sourcing to support greenhouse gas and other emissions models.
- Synthesize recommendations into clear and compelling presentations.
- Present quantitative information in a clear, visual format for public consumption, such as for white papers, journal articles, and RMI publications.
- Develop GHG accounting conventions and guidance for petrochemical supply chains.
- Senior Associate: Bachelor’s degree in an applicable field such as chemical engineering, environmental or physical sciences + 4 years of relevant work experience OR a M.S. degree in a related field + 2 years of relevant work experience.
- Associate: Bachelor’s degree in an applicable field such as chemical engineering, environmental or physical sciences + 1 or more years of relevant work experience.
- Driven, entrepreneurial, demonstrates initiative and creativity.
- Strong problem-solving, research and writing skills. Commitment to eliminating methane and other emissions from the petrochemical supply chain.
- Experience in the oil and gas industry, especially in petrochemicals, regulatory agencies, consulting, project management, or other related fields.
- Knowledge of chemical manufacturing processes and oil refining.
- Experience with life-cycle assessments and emissions accounting with a preferred focus on oil and gas supply chains. Demonstrated proficiency with process simulation tools such as ASPEN-HYSYS, ProMax, PRO/II.
We invite candidates with a variety of skill sets, educational and work backgrounds to apply. Ideal start date is between mid-July 2022 and mid-September 2022.
We are a remote-ready company with team members around the globe. Our beautiful and welcoming offices are available for meetings or focused work, whether you are traveling through or living nearby. Our U.S. offices are in New York City; Washington DC; Oakland, California; Boulder, Colorado, and Basalt, Colorado. This role can be located from anywhere in the continental United States.
We provide you with the essential IT equipment plus a one-time home technology payment and a monthly work from home/commuter allowance to ensure you have a comfortable home office set up and necessary supplies.
We love seeing each other in person! We occasionally gather for shared time together like retreats and learning experiences. Be ready to travel for occasional in-person meetings (and of course, we cover travel costs). Some roles may require more travel, which will be discussed during the hiring process.
Important Note: As a U.S. federal contractor, RMI must comply with requirements outlined Executive Order Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors. This Executive Order requires that all federal contractors and subcontractors mandate and verify that all U.S. based employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are based in the U.S., you will be required to provide proof of full vaccination status as a condition of employment. You may request accommodation for medical or religious reasons. If you are based outside of the U.S., this requirement does not apply.
RMI compensates based on the level and requirements of the role. Salary within our ranges may also be determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as required by the role, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data. Typically, new Associates based in the U.S. join at the minimum to mid salary range of $70,000-$82,000 and Senior Associates at $79,000-$93,000. You would also have an additional 5% bonus target.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.