Media Relations Lead
30+ days ago
Media Relations Lead
Are you interested in working with the media and passionate about energy transformation and climate action? Are you able to swiftly respond to media inquiries, identify media trends and develop creative, memorable pitches? If yes, then join RMI’s Influence Team, our in-house marketing and communications team!
We highly encourage individuals of underrepresented groups to apply!
RMI is looking for a Media Relations Lead. In this role, you be fully immersed in climate and energy news, working reactively to swiftly respond to media requests, and proactively to spot emerging news trends and identify and take advantage of opportunities for RMI to engage in. You will also have a knack for identifying stories that resonate and bringing them to life in ways that fit the news media. You will have the ability to translate complex subject matter into content that will be accessible and interesting to a general audience.
You should have a strong interest in the media landscape, and have some experience in working with reporters and securing media coverage. Together with the Media Relations Manager and wider communications team you will be responsible for executing our media strategy, which is reflective of RMI’s brand and business goals, to engage key audiences and leads across our target industries and segments.
A strong desire to make a difference in accelerating the adoption of renewable energy and tackling climate change is crucial.
This position reports to the Media Relations Manager and will work closely with the social media, creative, storytelling, and marketing teams.
Flexible – New York or Washington DC preferred, but open to fully remote applicants in other U.S. or international locations
- Pitch stories to media for all programs and organization announcements in partnership with team program marketers (who are responsible for overall program communications).
- Monitor social and traditional media and stay ahead of news events and media trends/conversations in key RMI industries.
- Identify proactive opportunities for media engagement across RMI.
- Draft and coordinate production and dissemination of press releases, media alerts, op-eds, and social media content as needed.
- Set up meetings/interviews, capture action items, update status reports.
- Craft nuanced pitches for key media at the optimal level of detail.
- Respond to reactive media requests, facilitate arranging of interviews and prepare necessary briefings.
- Use analytics to measure and report on progress on strategy
- Provide media recaps for every PR campaign.
- Work with in-house editorial, design, and digital/social media services to execute PR campaigns.
- Work with external PR agency as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, journalism, marketing, advertising, or related field.
- Thorough understanding of, and interest in, the media landscape, including channels, best practices, and audiences.
- Two years of relevant experience in a fast-paced environment. Volunteer and internship experience will be considered.
- Excellent messaging and storytelling skills and ability to align media strategy with overall business objectives.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Strong strategy, problem solving, storytelling, writing, and presentation skills.
- A strong team player with excellent interpersonal/collaborative skills with staff and internal clients at all organizational levels and with external partners.
- Ability to understand and utilize media coverage analytics.
- Ability to turn around high-quality work on tight deadlines under pressure.
- Experience with news monitoring, reporter database, and newswire tools, particularly Cision, Meltwater, and PRNewswire.
- Experience in one or more of the following industries: energy, climate change, policy, or the broader energy transition, or a PR agency.
- Demonstrated ability to champion projects from concept to completion.
- Self-starter and able to work under ambiguity and adapt quickly to changing environments.
- An intense drive for results and impact.
- Highly professional and organized.
- Creative, meticulous attention to detail.
Flexible. New York or Washington DC preferred, but open to fully remote applicants in other U.S. or international locations.
The role requires this position to work U.S. East Coast hours.
RMI’s New York and Washington DC offices will be available to successful candidates if based in these locations.
Important Note: As a U.S. federal contractor, RMI must comply with requirements outlined Executive Order Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors. This Executive Order requires that all federal contractors and subcontractors mandate and verify that all U.S. based employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are based in the U.S., you will be required to provide proof of full vaccination status as a condition of employment. You may request an accommodation for medical or religious reasons. If you are based outside of the U.S., this requirement does not apply.
RMI compensates based on the level and requirements of the role. Salary within our ranges may also be determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as required by the role, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data. Typically, new Media Relations Leads based in the U.S. join at the minimum to mid-salary range of $57,000- $67,000. You would also have an additional 5% bonus target!
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Casual work environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas, and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment, or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization.
This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported, and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate, and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders, and constituents within diverse communities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.