Manager - Global Cooling Transformation Team
12 days ago
Are you an experienced people leader with intense curiosity and drive? Are you willing to explore and test new ideas? Do you have an exceptional ability to structure and oversee analytic and strategic problem solving? Can you create impact through influence? If yes, then join our growing team!
Individuals of underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply!
Program & Project Overview:
RMI is seeking exceptional candidates to fill a Manager position within RMI’s Global Cooling Transformation team under our Carbon-Free Buildings Program.
In the context of a warming planet, access to cooling in many parts of the world is increasingly viewed as a societal need supporting positive health outcomes, higher productivity, and accelerated economic development. However, in a world where over 3 billion people lack access to cooling, meeting this need comes at an environmental cost that we simply cannot afford - this was the dilemma that the Global Cooling Prize set out to solve. The Prize concluded in 2021 successfully demonstrating room air conditioner (RAC) technologies with 5X lower climate impact.
Through the work of the Prize RMI built an enviable reputation for it’s expertise in the cooling space acting as an advisor and developing guides and handbooks for such organizations as The World Bank, UNEP, Global Covenant of Mayors, Mission Innovation, SEforALL and the ClimateWorks Foundation.
RMI is now looking to establish a dedicated Global Cooling Transformation Team to take this work forward with an overarching goal of achieving market ubiquity for products aligned to the 5x principal within the current decade
In terms of carbon dioxide equivalent (CO2e) emissions reductions, scaling ‘5X’ technologies could prevent over 68 gigatons (GT) of cumulative CO2e emissions by 2050.
Specifically, this individual will work on grants and contracts relevant to the overarching goal above currently envisioned to include
- Development and validation of performance metrics and associated test methods to inform next generation testing protocols.
- Ongoing prototype testing and product demonstrations to validate proposed performance metrics and methods as well as overseeing product demonstrations undertaken to inform large equipment buyers
- Securing broad based industry support to bring super-efficient next generation RACs to market
- Securing advance market commitments for super-efficient next generations cooling solutions
- Develop a “Buyer Intelligence Report” as a precursor for securing advance market commitments for these solutions in target markets
- Provide technical review services to the Cool Coalition under UNEP’s secretariat in support of COP positioning papers
as well as supporting any cooling specific work of RMI’s broader program focus as a knowledge resource, anticipated to include:
- Carbon Free Buildings
- Urban Transformation
- Third Derivative
- RMI India
- RMI China
- US Program
Position Overview and Responsibilities:
Our Managers are creative project leaders who mentor and manage team members to craft visionary-yet-practical solutions for the energy transition. As a Manager at RMI, you will be a primary project manager, and work closely with and under the direction of RMI’s Principals and Managing Directors to design and execute projects. Specific responsibilities will evolve over time as needed to support the institute's goals and will likely include managing junior staff in research and analysis projects and facilitating collaborative multi-stakeholder convenings.
Primary job functions:
- Oversee cooling related projects and initiatives within the purview of the Global Cooling Transformation team with the majority of their time.
- Shape project strategies from inception to conclusion.
- Act as the lead relationship manager with project partners and stakeholders.
- Oversee teams that number between 2 to 15+ contributors (internal and external).
- Regularly contribute and lead external interviews, videos, and publications to share project insights.
- Work hand-in-hand with our development team to develop funding strategies.
- Lead and contribute to research efforts and publications.
- Represent RMI as an industry expert at key conferences and other public speaking events.
- Master’s level degree, equivalent, or higher, in sustainability, environment, finance, economics, engineering, or energy-related discipline
- At least 5+ years of direct relevant experience of professional experience in fields related to cooling and/or the built environment
- Experience working with manufacturers and end users of HVAC&R equipment and related solutions
- Experience leading teams, mentoring junior staff, and managing complex project portfolios
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Experience designing and managing complex analytical models
- A passion for working collaboratively to advance market-based solutions to climate change
- A strong drive to advance equitable building decarbonization, especially across historically marginalized and underserved communities.
- Excellent time management, organization, entrepreneurship, and drive
- Experience with building science, building energy systems, design, engineering, or similar technical field.
- Background working directly with senior-level stakeholders from industry, finance, or other areas, especially relating to energy/emissions goals.
- Experience with donor development or managing grant- and donor design, engineering, or similar technical field or other areas related to energy/emissions goals driven projects.
- Experience with group facilitation and workshop design.
We are a remote-ready company with team members around the globe. Our beautiful and welcoming offices are available for meetings or focused work, whether you are traveling through or living nearby. Our U.S. offices are in New York City; Washington DC; Oakland, California; Boulder, Colorado, and Basalt, Colorado. This role can be located from anywhere in the continental United States.
We provide you with the essential IT equipment plus a one-time home technology payment and a monthly work from home/commuter allowance to ensure you have a comfortable home office set up and necessary supplies.
We love seeing each other in person! We occasionally gather for shared time together like retreats and learning experiences. Be ready to travel for occasional in-person meetings (and of course, we cover travel costs). Some roles may require more travel, which will be discussed during the hiring process.
Important Note: As a U.S. federal contractor, RMI must comply with requirements outlined Executive Order Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors. This Executive Order requires that all federal contractors and subcontractors mandate and verify that all U.S. based employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are based in the U.S., you will be required to provide proof of full vaccination status as a condition of employment. You may request an accommodation for medical or religious reasons. If you are based outside of the U.S., this requirement does not apply.
RMI compensates based on the level and requirements of the role. Salary within our ranges may also be determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as required by the role, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data. Typically, new Managers join at the minimum to mid salary range of $103,000 - $125,000. You would also have an additional 10% bonus target!
We offer a comprehensive benefits package adjusted to regional norms, including (for U.S. employment):
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (up to 5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Work from home and commuter allowance
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization.
This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.