Manager - Carbon-Free Buildings Federal and International Policy
27 days ago
Are you a thoughtful and experienced people leader with a desire to improve housing equity, reduce energy burden, and eliminate fossil fuel use in buildings? Are you eager to work with a diverse set of stakeholders to develop policy solutions? Are you dedicated to centering equity and justice in your work and helping others to do the same? If yes, then join our growing Carbon-Free Buildings team!
We highly encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply!
Deadline: Apply by 7/28/2022
RMI’s Carbon-Free Building team is seeking a Federal and International Policy Manager to lead equitable clean buildings policy work. RMI’s Carbon-Free Buildings program seeks to eliminate greenhouse gas emissions from buildings by 2045 through solutions that build a just and equitable energy transition for all. The Carbon-Free Buildings team works though research, technical analysis, communications, policy analysis and advocacy, and collaboration with partner organizations to achieve its goals.
The Manager will help the Carbon-Free Buildings team advance equitable building decarbonization policies at the federal level through the Biden Administration and internationally through the Clean Heat Forum.
Specifically, the Manager has three core functions, which we will iterate on with time based on the team’s needs and the Manager’s capacities and interests. The Manager will:
1) Develop and execute a federal policy agenda that drives federal funding, strict federal appliance and building standards, and new federal programs to accelerate building upgrades and decarbonization across the nation. This entails leading a team within RMI as well as deep collaboration with partners and stakeholders.
2) Work with RMI’s regional teams to ensure states appropriately leverage federal developments to advance local building decarbonization, including funding from the Infrastructure Bill. This includes keeping RMI staff and external partners abreast of federal policy and program developments.
3) Help develop the Clean Heat Forum to raise international ambition on electrification and to provide the technical and policy resources to help countries and the European Commission make good on heating decarbonization commitments.
- 5+ years of professional work experience including 1+ year as a team manager
- Experience managing external stakeholder relationships
- Excellent writing, verbal communication, facilitation, organizational, and project management skills
- Prior work or volunteer experience with climate, energy and/or environmental justice organizations.
- Experience developing energy and climate policy, particularly as it relates to the buildings sector.
- Highly collaborative, strong team player, assumes best intent of others.
- Willingness to plunge into unfamiliar disciplines.
- A passion for RMI’s mission
- Ability to travel 10-20% (once public health conditions allow)
- Experience working directly with policymakers and regulators, ideally at the federal level
- Experience leading or participating in policy advocacy campaigns or being a part of the policymaking process as agency staff.
We are a remote-ready company with team members around the globe. Our beautiful and welcoming offices are available for meetings or focused work, whether you are traveling through or living nearby. Our U.S. offices are in New York City; Washington DC; Oakland, California; Boulder, Colorado, and Basalt, Colorado. The position can be remote or based out of one of our offices, however, the preferred location is near the Washington, D.C area.
We provide you with the essential IT equipment plus a one-time home technology payment and a monthly work from home/commuter allowance to ensure you have a comfortable home office set up and necessary supplies.
We love seeing each other in person! We occasionally gather for shared time together like retreats and learning experiences. Be ready to travel for occasional in-person meetings (and of course, we cover travel costs). Some roles may require more travel, which will be discussed during the hiring process.
RMI compensates based on the level and requirements of the role. Salary within our ranges may also be determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as required by the role, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data. Typically, new Managers join at the minimum to mid salary range of $103,000-$121,000. You would also have an additional 10% bonus target!
We offer a comprehensive benefits package adjusted to regional norms, including (for U.S. employment):
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match immediately)
- Generous PTO
- Learning & Development opportunities
- Parental leave
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long-Term Disability
- Work from home allowance
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.