Director - Climate Intelligence, Carbon Markets
15 days ago
Do you love solving challenging problems, thinking analytically, and working in groups? Are you passionate about developing innovative solutions to the climate crisis? Are you interested in being a foundational member of a quickly growing team at RMI?
RMI’s Climate Intelligence Program is seeking a Director to lead our Carbon Markets Initiative. This new initiative seeks to improve the transparency, efficiency, and quality of the voluntary carbon market, ultimately accelerating progress towards a 50 percent cut in global greenhouse gas emissions by 2030 and net-zero emissions by 2050. Through both research and demonstration, the Carbon Markets Initiative is examining how various technologies (e.g., remote sensing, machine learning, distributed ledger technologies) can accelerate the supply of high-quality carbon credits. Over the coming year, our work will expand to cover other dimensions of the voluntary carbon market, including the use of offsets across various industries.
RMI Directors are creative team leaders responsible for shaping and delivering visionary yet practical solutions to the energy transition. The Director for Carbon Markets will be responsible for defining and delivering the initiative’s strategy, representing the initiative with external partners, building and maintaining relationships with donors, and overseeing and growing a team of six staff. This position will report to the Managing Director of the Climate Intelligence Program.
- Define and deliver a compelling strategy for improving the quality, transparency, and efficiency of the voluntary carbon market.
- Oversee a team of six managers, senior associates, and associates (with the opportunity to grow this team dependent on additional funding).
- Establish and maintain relationships with carbon markets leaders across the NGO, government, corporate, and financial sectors.
- Lead and contribute to research efforts and publications, including by managing the research and analytical activities of junior staff.
- Collaborate with RMI’s Development Team to develop funding strategies, secure additional funding, and ensure timely delivery to donors.
- Collaborate with RMI’s Influence Team to shape and deliver a marketing strategy for the Carbon Markets Initiative.
- Provide expertise on the carbon markets, both internally and externally.
- Identify and deliver on opportunities to collaborate with other RMI programs, including RMI’s Carbon Dioxide Removal Initiative, the Center for Climate-Aligned Finance, the Global South Program, Carbon Free-Electricity, Climate-Aligned Industries, and the Supply Chains Initiative.
- Develop and enhance RMI’s public reputation through regular publication, speaking, and external engagement on key topics in the carbon markets
- Support development of team members and of RMI at large, through active involvement in management activities such as coaching and serving as a career advisor to colleagues.
- Support Managing Directors in interactions with RMI board.
- Master’s level degree in sustainability, economics, finance, business, engineering, or environmental science OR equivalent acquisition of on-the-job expertise
- 12+ years of relevant professional experience
- Experience guiding high performing teams in a project-based work environment
- Direct experience in carbon markets, the clean energy transition, environmental justice, and related topics
- Experience managing junior team members including providing coaching and mentorship, and managing performance reviews
- Broad contacts across relevant professional networks, including private sector, government, and NGOs
- Significant international (i.e., outside of US) work experience
- Ability to travel 1 – 2 times per quarter
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Experience working among diverse groups with varying perspectives and/or facilitating challenging conversations
- Background working directly with senior-level stakeholders in the carbon markets and climate finance sectors
- Extensive networks in the voluntary carbon markets, including with project developers, standards and registries, brokers and exchanges, and buyers
- Experience managing grant-driven and donor-driven projects
- Experience with group facilitation and workshop design
We are a remote-ready company with team members around the globe. Our beautiful and welcoming offices are available for meetings or focused work, whether you are traveling through or living nearby. Our U.S. offices are in New York City; Washington DC; Oakland, California; Boulder, Colorado, and Basalt, Colorado. This role can be located from anywhere in the continental United States.
Important Note: As a U.S. federal contractor, RMI must comply with requirements outlined Executive Order Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors. This Executive Order requires that all federal contractors and subcontractors mandate and verify that all U.S. based employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are based in the U.S., you will be required to provide proof of full vaccination status as a condition of employment. You may request an accommodation for medical or religious reasons. If you are based outside of the U.S., this requirement does not apply.
The incoming target salary range for this role is $139,823 – 169,482. Salary to be determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data.
This role has an additional 20% annual bonus target!
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Casual work environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas, and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational institution or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.