Associate - Aviation Accounting - Climate Intelligence
30+ days ago
Do you love solving challenging problems, thinking about dynamic systems, and working in groups? Do you have the self-motivation, curiosity, creativity, and ability to guide others toward meaningful results? Do you have a passion for making the world a better place? If yes, then join our growing team!
We highly encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply!
RMI’s Aviation team works to accelerate the transition to net-zero air travel by catalyzing production of sustainable aviation fuels (SAF) and developing market infrastructure that enables and scales SAF demand within the aviation value chain. The Aviation team is part of the overall Climate Aligned Industries (CAI) program, which works to decarbonize heavy industry and heavy transportation. We collaborate with a global network of businesses, financial institutions, and policymakers to facilitate and scale emissions reductions in these industrial sectors.
Through Horizon Zero, a collaborative project between Climate Aligned Industries and Climate Intelligence, RMI is leveraging technological tools and advances in emissions accounting to provide the solutions companies need to understand and decarbonize their supply chains. As a part of this work, an interdisciplinary team advances partnerships with fellow NGOs & leading corporates to develop, test, and scale use of actionable climate data to accelerate the global energy transition.
RMI is looking to hire an Associate to support the Aviation Decarbonization team in designing solutions to stimulate new demand and supply for SAF. This role will be cross-functional between our Climate Intelligence and Climate-Aligned Industries team.
We look for aptitude at solving challenging problems, thinking in numbers, and working in groups. We expect self-motivation, curiosity, creativity, the ability to drive oneself and others toward meaningful results, and a passion for making the world better. As an Associate, you are an independent contributor and work closely with colleagues on projects under the direction of more senior staff. You have also begun to develop expertise in the content area of your program and can provide support internal to RMI on that topic.
Day-to-day, this individual will contribute to the development of clear and harmonized emissions accounting guidelines for Sustainable Aviation Fuel (SAF) and SAF certificates by:
- supporting stakeholder engagement,
- summarizing and integrating stakeholder feedback and independent research,
- helping situate the guidelines in existing and evolving standards, and
- helping coordinate the development of these accounting guidelines with other RMI teams’ efforts to influence emissions accounting guidelines in other sectors and use cases.
We invite candidates with a variety of skillsets and educational and work backgrounds!
Your key responsibilities as an Associate include:
- Design and create approaches and both quantitative (technoeconomic) and qualitative models to effectively address key questions and challenges
- Locate and manage high quality data that sheds new light on problems and solutions
- Create creative problem-solving approaches to drive project insight
- Synthesize complex data and recommendations into clear and compelling presentations and written reports
- Present quantitative information in a clear, visual format
- Engage with external experts via meetings, emails, interviews, and conferences
- An undergraduate bachelor's degree in an applicable field such as environmental or physical sciences or engineering. An associate position requires a minimum of 2 years’ work experience (or equivalent timeframe inclusive of a post graduate degree in a related field)
- Understanding of emissions accounting methods and reporting standards
- Familiarity with energy systems, basics of climate science and decarbonization challenges for heavy industry
- Prior experience with emissions accounting, ESG reporting, and lifecycle analysis
- Prior experience with fuel and commodity markets and/or industrial supply chains
- Experience working among diverse groups with varying perspectives and/or facilitating challenging conversations
The position will remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the COVID-19 situation improves, it is preferred that you will co-locate with the team in Europe (Stockholm, London or Amsterdam), any of the US offices (Oakland, CA, Washington, D.C., New York City, Boulder, or Basalt, Colorado, Houston, TX, India (New Delhi) or China (Beijing). This will be discussed further throughout the interview process.
Important Note: As a U.S. federal contractor, RMI must comply with requirements outlined Executive Order Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors. This Executive Order requires that all federal contractors and subcontractors mandate and verify that all U.S. based employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are based in the U.S., you will be required to provide proof of full vaccination status as a condition of employment. You may request an accommodation for medical or religious reasons. If you are based outside of the U.S., this requirement does not apply.
RMI compensates based on the level and requirements of the role. Salary within our ranges may also be determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as required by the role, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data. Typically, new Associates join at the minimum to mid salary range of $70,000 to $82,000. You would also have an additional 5% bonus target!
We offer a comprehensive benefits package adjusted to regional norms, including (for U.S. employment):
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Casual work environment
Diversity of our workforce is one of our core values at RMI and we strive to achieve a level of diversity within our organization that reflects the communities that we serve. Achieving this diversity—whether of race, gender, sexual orientation, or ability—is critical to our long-term success, ensuring that we:
- Have the diversity of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges
- Have a culture of inclusion and respect that enables us to attract and keep diverse talent
- Can secure the talent that we need with access to the full talent pool
- Can relate to decision makers within diverse communities
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
About RMI RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.