Program Coordinator, Operations
Nature Conservancy of Canada
16 days ago
Work Type: Full Time Salaried
Location: Alberta or BC preferred -
Taking care of our environment has never been more important than it is today. NCC is the nation's leading not-for-profit, private land conservation organization, working to protect our most important natural areas and the species they sustain.
Since 1962, NCC and its partners have helped to conserve 15 million hectares of ecologically significant land across Canada. NCC takes a collaborative, science-based approach to achieve conservation success for the sake of nature and Canadians. With a national office in Toronto and seven regional offices across the country, NCC delivers results you can walk on.
The Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC) is looking for a highly organized and detail-oriented Program Coordinator that enjoys working with and helping others. The Program Coordinator supports the work of the Office of the Vice President of Operations – a dynamic, fast-paced and multifaceted work environment at the centre of NCC’s efforts to deliver on-the-ground conservation.
The role would appeal to an organized, ambitious, collaborative self-starter who has demonstrated their passion for nature conservation through their education and expertise.
Reporting to the VPO the program coordinator ensures that the department’s initiatives and activities are being carried out in a timely and effective manner. The Program Coordinator plays a critical coordination & integration role for Operations on projects, as well administratively supporting the work of three senior leaders - the Vice President of Operations (VPO), the Chief Strategic Operations Officer (CSOO) and Executive Director of American Friends for the Conservation of Nature (ED-AFCN).
The Program Coordinator must be a strong communicator, able to draft internal documents, track and report on budgets, and prepare briefing materials for Operations’ senior leadership as well as NCC and AFCN Boards. The incumbent will also manage a system for tracking progress on approvals, issue resolution and key communications.
The position requires a proven track record of building relationships, managing multiple projects with competing timelines, and being comfortable working amid ambiguity.
Although the position has assigned projects and responsibilities, the day-to-day activities of the Program Coordinator are purposefully fluid to be able to react to the most current and pressing issues that arise in Operations and in NCC generally.
Project Coordination and Support Work
- Independent execution of tasks related to completing assigned projects (i.e., drafting briefing materials, position papers, etc.)
- Providing support in the coordination of multiple Regions (i.e., projects and tasks spanning Regional boundaries, or information gathering from multiple sources)
- Supporting VPO in coordination, completion and tracking of projects and relationships under direct VPO leadership (i.e., relationships with NCC’s Regional Boards, donors, government contacts, etc.)
Coordination & Integration
- Tracking Operations’ Key Performance Indicators and presenting updates internally
- Maintaining a system for tracking progress of the development and approval of briefing materials, reports, contracts, or other materials within Operations as well as maintaining the associated records management system
- Support Operations’ SharePoint sites and sharing of information within Operations
- Track progress on Operations’ major initiatives to ensure timely and coordinated progress, and regular updates to others
- Providing secretariat support to the AFCN and its Board, including regular and direct interaction with US donors
Preparing Briefing, Presentation, and Update materials
- Researching, analyzing data, and preparing reports and presentations to be submitted to the VPO, CEO, the Board of Directors and its sub-committees, and the AFCN Board
- Working with internal groups in the development of internal and external communication materials and advising on specific Operational issues and content
- Managing budgets in support of the VPO’s, CSOO’s and ED-AFCN’s financial accountabilities, including reporting, trend analysis/tracking, and invoicing
- Ensuring VPO has ready access to current meeting materials
- Management of senior staff scheduling, as well as planning and documenting team and committee meetings (including AFCN Board)
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in the areas of responsibility
- Post-secondary education, preferably in environmental studies, business administration or related area
- OR a combination of relevant education and experience
- Strong organizational skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail.
- Self-starter that is comfortable with ambiguity
- Keen collaborator who thrives in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and willingness to collaborate
- Able to communicate complex concepts in a clear and easy-to-understand way
- Excellent problem-solving skills, ability to make decisions, sound judgement, managerial skill, logistical thinking, finance/budgeting knowledge
- Able to cope with volume, frequent changes in priorities, and many interruptions throughout the day
- Able to track trends against budgets, documents drivers of change, and are financially literate
- Proven experience working in a team environment, and ability to influence & advise teams and senior staff to achieve the desired result
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Teams, SharePoint, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Fluent written and spoken English is essential; familiarity with written and/or spoken French, or willingness to learn would be a strong asset.
- A personal commitment to nature and conservation
Terms of Employment:
The work of this position can be done remotely, with a preference for the position being located in Mountain or Pacific Time Zones. Work locations elsewhere in Western Canada are also possible.
How to Apply
NCC is an equal opportunity employer. If you are interested in joining our team, please submit your resume and cover letter with salary expectations through our Career Centre by August 18, 2022 11:59 p.m. EST.
NCC welcomes and encourages application from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We value and incorporate diverse traditions, heritage, knowledge and experiences in our mission and in our workplaces. We celebrate the full participation of people from all walks of life as we work towards common goals. We strive for a conservation movement in which equity, diversity and inclusion are the norm. This is our continuous commitment: to promote healthy people, healthy communities and a healthy planet for everyone.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or emails please.