Program Manager - Conservation Finance
Nature Conservancy of Canada
30+ days ago
Location: Flexible/Canada (Calgary Preferred)
Position details: Full Time (Hybrid office/remote)
NCC is looking for a dynamic Program Manager, Conservation Finance to join its Nature + Climate Projects Accelerator – a team leading in financial innovations to accelerate conservation in Canada.
NCC is the nation’s leading not-for-profit, private land conservation organization, working to protect our most important natural areas and the species they sustain. Since 1962 NCC and its supporters have protected 15 million hectares (more than 35 million acres) of ecologically significant land across Canada. NCC takes a collaborative, science-based approach to achieve conservation success for the sake of nature and Canadians. With a national office in Toronto and seven regional offices across the country, NCC delivers results you can walk on.
The Nature + Climate Projects Accelerator aims to develop and implement natural capital investment strategies and offset credit projects that help to accelerate the protection and restoration of high value conservation lands.
Reporting to the Executive Director, Nature + Climate Projects Accelerator, this senior role will be part of a fast-paced, entrepreneurial team accountable for originating and developing innovative projects and financing. In pursuit of this objective, the Program Manager will lead multiple innovative carbon finance and nature-based solutions (NBS) projects to support NCC’s strategic goals. The role also includes identifying and developing areas of new opportunity to attract private financing to conservation and serving as a subject matter expert advising NCC’s internal groups and processes.
With a focus on carbon, the Program Manager is integral to the Accelerator’s success in delivering NBS in collaboration with NCC’s regional offices. The role provides subject matter expertise in nature and climate project development, financial analysis, carbon project protocols, feasibility assessments, and soil carbon monitoring and reporting.
NCC is accelerating conservation through innovative conservation finance and the Nature + Climate Projects accelerator is a key part of delivering on this ambitious strategy. If you believe in improving our world through natural conservation solutions, consider joining our growing team at the leading edge of Nature and Climate projects in Canada.
- Provide financial expertise and analysis in evaluating deal structures, investment viability, and innovating new ways to attract private capital to NCC’s projects.
- Lead project manager on development of carbon or other NBS projects, including management of third party consultants, schedule and budget management, and proactive risk mitigation
- Innovating and originating new financial structures with NBS projects. This includes leading feasibility studies, pilot projects, and development of methodologies and protocols for new types of projects
- Sale of carbon credits generated by NCC’s projects, including negotiating and preparing spot prices and/or long term offtake contracts
- Serve as internal subject matter expert on carbon projects, protocols, and financing
- Prepare NBS materials for, and deliver presentations to groups such as: Existing or potential corporate partners, prospective offset purchasers, potential investors related to our work on carbon, biodiversity and NBS writ large, foundations/donors and internal audiences up to and including the CEO on conservation finance, carbon and nature-based solutions
- Maintain NCC as a thought leader in the NBS, natural capital and conservation finance spaces in Canada through participation in workshops, virtual meetings/conferences, presentations
- Develop and maintain relationships/partnerships with third party practitioners including carbon technology start-ups, corporate partners, researchers/think tanks, engineering consultants
- Develop and maintain relationships with external contacts for future conservation finance and project development opportunities
- Preparation of briefing materials for senior leadership
At least 5-7 years professional experience in a combination of the following areas:
- Carbon project development
- Finance/Sustainable finance
- Project Management
- Corporate ESG strategies
- Conservation biology, natural resource management, or related field
- Post secondary education, preferably in sustainable business, environmental sciences, biology, business administration or related area. Graduate degree preferred or work experience that is equivalent
- Self-starter with an enterprising/entrepreneurial mindset and drive – comfortable with ambiguity and keen to take initiative
- Keen collaborator who thrives in a fast-paced environment – you have excellent interpersonal skills and are a team player. You collaborate and influence in a “win as a team” environment.
- Strong communication – you speak plainly and truthfully and listen with care. You communicate complex ideas in a clear and easy-to-understand way
- Consensus building and decision making
- In-depth technical expertise of carbon projects, sustainable finance, and deal structure
- Superior project management skills and ability to manage a variety of contractors and staff to ensure work coordination/completion in a timely and efficient manner
- The ability to build and support effective partnerships both within and outside NCC to achieve the organization’s goals
- Strong decision-making and the ability to provide solutions to complex problems
- A personal commitment to nature and conservation
How to Apply
NCC is an equal opportunity employer. If you are interested in joining our team, please submit your cover letter, resume and salary expectations through our Career Centre by July 15, 2022 at 11:59 pm EST.
NCC welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We value and incorporate diverse traditions, heritage, knowledge and experiences in our mission and in our workplaces. We celebrate the full participation of people from all walks of life as we work towards common goals. We strive for a conservation movement in which equity, diversity and inclusion are the norm. This is our continuous commitment: to promote healthy people, healthy communities and a healthy planet for everyone.
Please note that in-person office attendance, carpooling with co-workers to NCC properties or events, and in-person attendance at any indoor events are currently restricted to staff who are fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus. Accordingly, if you are required to participate in any of these activities as part of your job the expectation is that you must be fully vaccinated. Fully vaccinated means you have received two doses of the Pfizer, Astra Zeneca or Moderna vaccine or combination of, and have received the second dose at least two weeks prior to your start date or you have received one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine at least two weeks prior to your start date.