Senior Writer, Executive Communications
Natural Resources Defense Council
Washington, DC, United States
21 days ago
NRDC is seeking a Senior Writer, Executive Communications to work in the Communications department in our Washington, D.C. office.
This person will report to the Director of Executive Communications and Institutional Messaging, with a dotted line to the President and the Chief of Staff and Strategy.Responsibilities:
- Work closely with the President, President’s Office and Communications team to design a strategic approach to crafting, maximizing, and refining the President’s voice for multiple stakeholder audiences.
- Draft, edit and review written and verbal correspondence and advocacy messaging products for the President to ensure accuracy, clarity, and consistency with the President’s voice and institutional messaging, adhering to protocols for editing and review process. This includes but is not limited to:
- Serving as point person for drafting and/or editing communications for board, donors and staff, as well as talking points and remarks for internal and external presentations (i.e. staff meetings, board meetings, member webinars, public events).
- Serving as primary social media writer for the President, including proactively mining the President’s calendar, NRDC’s work and news coverage for timely content and translating that into his personal voice.
- Preparing briefing materials and remarks for external speaking engagements, as needed.
- Drafting and editing op-eds and blogs, as needed.
- Managing products through the review process, working with scientists, lawyers, advocacy staff, and other experts to ensure accuracy in materials.
- Independently problem-solve and generate ideas for a variety of internal and external communications materials, and conduct research to gather necessary background information. This requires:
- Capturing ideas and content from regular interactions with the President, President’s Office and Communications teams.
- Translating key leadership activities into multiple types of communications products for distinct audiences.
- Maintaining relationships and consulting with NRDC colleagues and experts in other parts of the institution (i.e. program, advocacy, development).
- Staying on top of priority areas of work within the institution, as well as news coverage of environmental issues.
- Maintain informal guide for the President’s correspondence style.
- Travel with the president, as needed.
- Special projects as assigned.
- Commitment to NRDC’s mission and values
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, writing, English, or related field
- Eight (8) years of experience as a speechwriter for non-profit, government, industry, higher education, public figures or other related experience
- In lieu of a degree, consideration will be given to an equivalent combination of related education and required work experience
- Proven ability to learn and authentically write in another person’s voice
- Exceptional writing, editing and storytelling skills, with the ability to help shape and translate complicated, nuanced communication on a range of issues and for a variety of audiences
- Ability to deliver products that engage, excite, and motivate audiences
- Proven ability to plan, juggle, prioritize, and execute communication products for a complex calendar of engagements, delivering written products well in advance of events or opportunities
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and deliver strong written products on short deadline when needed
- Ability to work independently and use strategic judgment in decision-making, including setting and managing priorities and meeting competing deadlines
- Prior experience conducting research and interviews to identify and develop content
- Familiarity with and/or experience working on climate change advocacy and other environmental issues
- Strong proofreading/copy editing skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Creative problem-solving and collaboration skills
- Sound judgment and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Comfortable with accepting feedback and adapting to deliver the desired product
- Proficiency in word processing and MS PowerPoint
- Team-player, collegial attitude
- Writing samples required
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits , and a supportive working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and is commensurate with skills and experience. For this position, the salary is $90,000 to $105,000. Internal equity considerations will be reviewed before making a final offer.
As a science-based organization, NRDC aims to do our part to help contain the COVID-19 public health crisis. For the sake of health, safety, and equity, we ask that people be vaccinated unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation or other exemption in accordance with state and local law. We consider a person to be vaccinated two weeks after receiving one full course of a CDC-approved vaccine. In accordance with state or local law, new hires will be asked to attest to vaccination, those wishing to do so may request medical or religious accommodations or other exemptions via NRDC Employee Relations. NRDC treats all vaccine-related data confidentially, in keeping with local, state, and federal laws.
To apply, visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your résumé and cover letter. Please mention where you saw this posting and upload any additional materials that showcase your abilities. Due to the high volume of applications, we will contact only those candidates we would like to interview. Please no phone calls, emails, or in-person résumé drop-offs.
If you experience technical problems while applying or if you are a person with a disability and need assistance applying online, please reach out to iCIMS Customer Care at 1-800-889-4422.
For more about NRDC, visit www.nrdc.org.