NRDC is seeking an Executive Assistant to work with the Chief Communications Officer in our Washington, DC office.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter and quick learner, and knows how to manage their own work and balance assignments. The individual in this role must be comfortable working in an independent, flexible, and efficient manner in a fast-paced work environment and be able to prioritize projects. Excellent research, writing, and project coordination skills are required. The candidate must be skilled at working in a collaborative culture and possess strong judgment and interpersonal skills.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the following essential functions:
- Work closely with the CCO to provide administrative support on daily activities, including calendar management, scheduling, travel arrangements, written correspondence, invoice and expense reporting, file maintenance, preparation of presentations and other materials.
- Provide calendar management, scheduling and travel logistics/expense support for two Managing Directors.
- Manage material gathering, administer the collaborative online space for materials and agendas, and participate in meetings to take notes.
- Organize and coordinate meetings and events with internal and external parties and oversee logistics, scheduling and technology of programmatic meetings and retreats.
- Prepare briefing materials, conduct research, and draft documents.
- Working with relevant Communications and NRDC staff, ensure initiatives and projects are on track in terms of timeline and content.
- Track and follow up on CCO’s requests and work assignments across the organization, as needed, to ensure timely response.
- 7+ years administrative or office management experience, including 3-5 years’ experience in an Executive Assistant or equivalent role, supporting C-suite or Director level staff
- Previous communications, marketing or PR agency experience is a plus.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent work experience
- Excellent PowerPoint, Word and Excel skills.
- Strong project management and project coordination skills
- Proactive, detail oriented, problem solver with the ability to deliver high-quality results on-time.
- Experience working with multiple teams, priorities, and projects at the same time.
- Strong writing and researching skills.
- Ability to and passion for facilitating the work of a senior leader and helping a team run successfully.
- Superior organizational skills and ability to prioritize and balance multiple tasks in a fast-moving environment.
- Ability to perform administrative tasks well and simultaneously adjust focus between “big picture” strategic work and day to day “to dos” with ease.
- Strong research and analytical skills; ability to translate material logically and share ideas and recommendations clearly.
- Demonstrated skill in problem-solving; enjoys a challenge, achieves satisfaction from working things out, getting things done; demonstrates curiosity.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Comfortable interacting with staff at all levels and representing the ideas or position of the CCO clearly and diplomatically, when needed.
- Idea generator who can think creatively with practical accomplishment in mind. Can come to the position with ideas on how to make the Executive Assistant position most successful.
- Collaborative spirit; enjoys being part of a team.
- Ability to travel to NRDC U.S. based offices, approximately 10-15% annually.
- Commitment to NRDC’s mission, values, and DEI principles
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position within the described work environment.
Frequently: Perform desk-based computer tasks
Frequently: Ability to interact and communicate with employees and others as necessary
Frequently: Attend planned meetings and collaborate with management and coworkers
Occasionally: Ability to attend events and activities in the office or offsite
Work is sometimes performed primarily in office. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet in office settings and moderate in other situations. Hours of employment may sometimes require working flexible and/or longer hours, including nights and weekends, when necessitated by projects. The job includes work-related situations such as those involving challenging, important, urgent, time-sensitive, or multiple matters.
NRDC is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion, both in our work and in our workplace. We believe that celebrating and actively welcoming diverse voices and perspectives is essential to solving the planet's most pressing environmental problems, and we encourage applications from candidates whose identities have been historically under-represented in the environmental movement.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Our offices are open and we are operating in a hybrid model. We offer NRDCers flexibility, and we ask them to come into the office and spend meaningful time there in collaboration with their colleagues. We call this purposeful presence.
As a science-based organization, NRDC aims to do our part to help contain the COVID-19 public health crisis. For the sake of health, safety, and equity, we ask that people be vaccinated unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation or other exemption in accordance with state and local law. We consider a person to be vaccinated two weeks after receiving one full course of a CDC-approved vaccine. In accordance with state or local law, new hires will be asked to attest to vaccination, those wishing to do so may request medical or religious accommodations or other exemptions via NRDC Employee Relations. NRDC treats all vaccine-related data confidentially, in keeping with local, state, and federal laws.
To apply, visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your résumé and cover letter. Please mention where you saw this posting and upload any additional materials that showcase your abilities. Due to the high volume of applications, we will contact only those candidates we would like to interview. Please no phone calls, emails, or in-person résumé drop-offs.
If you experience technical problems while applying or if you are a person with a disability and need assistance applying online, please reach out to iCIMS Customer Care at 1-800-889-4422.
For more about NRDC, visit www.nrdc.org.