Natural Resources Defense Council
New York City, NY, United States
30+ days ago
NRDC is seeking a Systems Engineer to work with the Systems team in our New York office.
The IT team is a diverse and vibrant group dedicated to ensuring NRDC’s systems are reliable, our applications support the business, and our users are proficient. NRDC’s culture is respectful of flexibility, work/life balance and personal relationships, both within IT and NRDC overall. The IT team seeks to ensure continuous employee development through on-the-job and formal training.
The Systems Engineer’s role is to ensure the stability, integrity, and efficient operation of the information systems that support core organizational functions. This is achieved by monitoring, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing local and wide-area networks, core systems, and associated operating systems. The Junior Systems Engineer will also be responsible for implementing and monitoring security solutions in order to manage and mitigate risks, meet business objectives, and the policies and procedures of NRDC. The Junior Systems Engineer will apply proven communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills to help identify, communicate, and resolve issues.
- Manage the daily activities of LAN and WAN systems such as physical and virtual servers, virtual desktops, storage, etc.
- Maintain systems with regards to maintenance and patching
- Manage and maintain applications and platforms used by NRDC and NRDC IT
- Support anti-spam, antivirus, web filtering and remote access solutions
- Assist Senior Network Engineers in troubleshooting and solving issues, monitoring, maintenance and implementation of services, platforms, hardware and software
- Serve as an escalation point for help desk tickets
- Develop, implement and follow system standards, policies and procedures
- Assist and support other network related tasks as directed by management
- Understanding of good project management methodology
- Provide 24 x 7 on-call support on a rotational basis
- Maintain awareness of and evaluate forward-looking technologies
- Manage backups and prepare status reports of various systems / services
- Commitment to NRDC’s mission and values.
- 5+ years of direct engineering and design experience expertise in networking
- Active Directory, MS Exchange and Office 365, VoIP
- HP ProLiant servers, VMware, NetAPP, Citrix, Dynamics GP, Cisco access switches and wireless access points
- Group Policies, security configuration and patching
- LAN knowledge, proxy servers, networking knowledge, network design and implementation, network troubleshooting, network hardware configuration, network performance tuning
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or IT is highly desired
- Ability to work on multiple project timelines, deliverables, and information requests for all functions within the IT Department
- Excellent communication and strong interpersonal skills needed to team well with peers, customers, project managers, and vendors
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits , and a supportive working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and is commensurate with skills and experience. For this position, the salary is $95,000 to $110,000. Internal equity considerations will be reviewed before making a final offer.
As a science-based organization, NRDC aims to do our part to help contain the COVID-19 public health crisis. For the sake of health, safety, and equity, we ask that people be vaccinated unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation or other exemption in accordance with state and local law. We consider a person to be vaccinated two weeks after receiving one full course of a CDC-approved vaccine. In accordance with state or local law, new hires will be asked to attest to vaccination, those wishing to do so may request medical or religious accommodations or other exemptions via NRDC Employee Relations. NRDC treats all vaccine-related data confidentially, in keeping with local, state, and federal laws.
To apply, visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your résumé and cover letter. Please mention where you saw this posting and upload any additional materials that showcase your abilities. Due to the high volume of applications, we will contact only those candidates we would like to interview. Please no phone calls, emails, or in-person résumé drop-offs.
If you experience technical problems while applying or if you are a person with a disability and need assistance applying online, please reach out to iCIMS Customer Care at 1-800-889-4422.
For more about NRDC, visit www.nrdc.org.