NRDC is seeking a Project Officer to work with the China Climate and Energy team in our Beijing office.
The Project Officer will work with the Project Manager on research cooperation and engagement with Chinese partners to advance just energy transition and facilitate industrial decarbonization efforts in China’s key energy-intensive provinces, such as Inner Mongolia and Shanxi. This position will be responsible for supporting the development and implementation of NRDC’s climate and energy strategy, to ensure fruitful collaboration with Chinese partners, timely delivery of high-quality research products, and effective outreach activities in targeted provinces.Responsibilities:
- Support team leaders in developing research and advocacy plans of subnational energy transition and industrial decarbonization, based on NRDC China Program’s overall strategies;
- Support the Project Manager in developing and updating annual budget, research plans, activities, and desired outcomes, with input from partners.
- With the Project Manager, engage with research institutes, experts and stakeholders to conduct research on policies, plans and pathways for accelerating renewable energy development and reducing coal consumption of energy-intensive sectors in key provinces and regions.
- Draft, proofread, and edit policy notes, articles, presentations, and other documents for a just energy transition and coal reduction;
- Keep up-to-date on the latest policy and technical developments concerning coal consumption, clean energy progress, and just energy transition related economic and social topics.
- Work closely with the Communications team to effectively communicate the project’s research findings and recommendations to various stakeholders.
- Work with the Project Manager, to support management of the projects, including working with partners to prepare research proposals, budgets, contracts and compliance materials; ensuring quality of project implementation that meets the research goals, and guidance to partners to improve the research; collecting mid-term and final narrative and financial reports; and supporting reporting, monitoring and evaluation of the project.
- Schedule and coordinate various external and internal meetings and seminars (e.g. report releases, publicity events, field visits, etc.), including administrative and logistical arrangements, meeting material preparation, and the recording and distribution of meeting minutes.
- Maintain project contract and document library, ensuring project files (electronic and paper) are well organized and up-to-date.
- Process invoices and help with budget tracking, prepare monthly expense forecast and fund request, and support compliance and reporting as required.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant, full-time work experience related to climate and energy, environment;
- Master’s degree in energy, environment, or a related field;
- Solid knowledge of China’s clean energy development, industrial decarbonization, and climate change policies, as well as the ability to conduct in-depth data and policy analyses.
- Excellent research and writing skills in both Chinese and English;
- Strong interpersonal and cooperative skills, as well as the ability to work well with government representatives, research institutions, universities, companies, and other NGO partners.
- Ability to efficiently and independently perform various tasks in a fast-paced work environment.
- Must be responsible, pay close attention to detail, and work with efficiency and accuracy.
- Commitment to NRDC’s values and mission.
- Experience in key coal-consuming provinces, such as Inner Mongolia, Shanxi, and Shandong, is a plus.
Applications will be accepted until filled. For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org and www.nrdc.cn.