Virginia Organizing Manager
Mothers Out Front
30+ days ago
Job Title: Virginia Organizing Manager
Reports to: Director of Deep Organizing
We are in search of a talented Organizer and Staff Manager (OM) to develop and lead our advocacy and empowerment work in Virginia. As the Organizing Manager, you’ll help build a diverse and powerful movement of mothers, grandmothers and caregivers advocating for a swift transition away from fossil fuels towards clean and renewable energy. You will recruit, train and manage staff working with member-led teams, and build and support the Virginia state member leadership team. You’ll work with and draw leadership from frontline communities who experience the worst effects of fossil fuels — from the dangers and challenges caused by extreme weather patterns, to devastating health effects like asthma and other respiratory illnesses — with particular attention to low-income communities and communities of Color.
The OM supports the statewide membership leadership team in developing and implementing community and state-based campaigns, while coordinating with national organizing efforts to make urgently needed progress toward a healthy and livable climate for all. While the effects of COVID-19 are still emerging, current data suggesting disproportionate health outcomes in communities of Color suggest additional urgency and opportunities for local Organizing.
Mothers Out Front is excited to expand our presence, power and grassroots Organizing approach in Virginia. We know mothers, caregivers and grandmothers care about protecting public health and ensuring a livable climate for their children – and we are ready for the progress that is so urgently needed.
About Mothers Out Front:
Mothers Out Front is a dynamic social impact organization with ambitious goals to address the climate crisis. This is a great opportunity for a strategic, collaborative individual to support and enhance our data capacity.
The organization builds our power as mothers to ensure a livable climate for all children. We are building a diverse national movement of mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers dedicated to convincing elected officials and business leaders to work for a swift, complete, and just transition away from fossil fuels to clean and renewable energy. We know that mothers have an important role to play in the climate change movement, and, when it comes to protecting their children, mothers are an unstoppable force for change! Our goal is simple: to enable mothers to take active leadership in climate change work by providing the structure, training, and tools for them to work together on campaigns in their communities and at the statewide level. We are a member-led, national organization that is growing quickly. Founded in 2013, this year’s operating budget is $4.3M. We currently have staff working in eight states and are a fast-growing organization with no plans of slowing down.
VA ORGANIZING MANAGER RESPONSIBILITIES
Leadership and Management
- Recruit, train and manage Organizers and volunteer members to refine strategic campaigns, recruitment strategies, and a leadership development program.
- In partnership with Organizers and volunteer members, develop statewide and local goals and implementation plans to support the achievement of organizational and statewide strategic vision and plan.
- Conduct regular debriefs to reflect and learn from statewide and local tactics and submit quarterly reports on organizing and campaign progress. Oversee annual performance evaluations of Organizers with input from volunteers.
- Partner with our Development team to support the cultivation and procurement of sustainable funding for our work in the state.
- Participate in the national Organizing Manager Team to ensure collective management approach and impact, and that growth goals are set and achieved.
- Demonstrate organizational leadership that is strategic, and solution and results oriented.
- Enhance staff morale by celebrating wins, setting clear expectations and creating team-building opportunities in your state.
- Develop, train, and maintain a state leadership team; work with the state leadership team to build a statewide movement that engages thousands of moms and other stakeholders for systemic and impactful climate change wins.
- Integrate national resources into the state, and develop as necessary organizing systems and tools for your state to ensure that your staff and members have the resources they need to be successful.
- Develop and support statewide and local teams of members and organizers to build power and win campaigns across the state and develop engaging storytelling strategies.
- Create strategies with staff and members to support the growth of volunteers to ensure they are moving up the ladder of engagement.
- Participate in strategic coalitions that support our movement and increase our visibility; establish working relationships with key decision-makers, funders, media, and other stakeholders in your state to move the campaign work forward.
- Understand the challenges in the state and work with volunteer members, staff, and the national organization to problem solve.
- Maintain a monthly statewide newsletter with both national and local updates, resources, and celebrate wins.
- Draft quarterly and annual reports.
- Oversight of staff paid time off, expenses, lobbying reporting, etc.
- Respond timely to emails, phone calls, and Slack messages.
- Submit credit card receipts and reimbursements on time.
- Create and manage the state budget in partnership with the state leadership team, organizing staff, and national leadership.
- Maintain an organized digital folder with campaign, organizing, and volunteer and staffing documents.
Organizing and Management Experience
- At least five years’ experience in grassroots organizing, leadership development, and running statewide and municipal campaigns; and organizing in lower income and communities of color and supervising Black, Indigenous, People of Color employees.
- Managed statewide programs, volunteers, and four or more remote staff in a similar setting.
- Familiarity with climate partners and stakeholders and has demonstrated capacity to work in coalitions to create systemic change, with clear understanding of New York state politics and legislative process.
- Knowledgeable about the impact of the climate crisis with experience organizing towards climate and environmental justice.
- Experience and comfort with attending meetings with Foundations and individual donors.
- Track record of building bridges across organizational structures to promote a healthy and thriving culture that enables climate and environmental justice campaigns wins.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- High creativity and facility with taking strategic action. Capable of thriving in a dynamic, goal-oriented, fast-paced, campaign-oriented environment. Ability to work remotely and be productively self-directed and personally organized.
- An understanding of strategic issue campaign development, ideally at the statewide, regional, or municipal levels, including attention to power-building and tactics that influence decision-makers. Builds effective democratic local organizations and uses public narrative and storytelling in campaign organizing.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills that inspire action.
- Committed, with demonstrated understanding of equity and racial justice, and experience working with people from diverse racial and socioeconomic backgrounds
- The ability to work evenings and weekends as needed, to travel across the state regularly and to national staff and manager retreats.
Mothers Out Front is a fully virtual organization. This position can be based anywhere in Virginia and will work from a home office.
Salary and benefits
The annualized salary range is $70,900 to $85,000, depending on experience. A generous benefits package includes fully paid (by employer) health benefits for employees, dental benefits, 401(k), flexible spending, paid vacation, holidays, sick days, and support for remote work set-up. We offer ongoing training opportunities, a fast-paced, dynamic, supportive, and collaborative setting and we are proudly women-led!
Please send your résumé and a cover letter that specifically addresses why you are called to lead and your experience leading a grassroots movement for social or climate change. Send all materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Reasonable Accommodation
Mothers Out Front is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The organization encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, record of arrest or conviction and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail HR@mothersoutfront.org. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.