Senior Richmond, Virginia Community Organizer
Mothers Out Front
15 days ago
Reports To: VA Organizing Manager
Status: Full Time
Mothers Out Front seeks a talented and passionate Senior Organizer for Richmond Virginia to lead our work in Central Virginia as part of the statewide organizing team. We are building ardent volunteer-led teams across Virginia to advocate for a swift transition away from fossil fuels towards clean and renewable energy and are committed to deepening and expanding this critical movement.
As a Virginia Senior Community Organizer, you will lead one or more local or statewide campaigns to reduce fossil fuel emissions and pave the way for a just, sustainable economy. Much of this statewide work will be done in partnership with other organizations, while your local work will be to support and grow our Richmond team and build additional community teams who carry out effective local campaigns. You will prioritize the focusing of resources in those communities suffering the injustices of climate change and fossil fuel use today and that have been historically marginalized.
About Mothers Out Front
Mothers Out Front builds our power as mothers to ensure a livable climate for all children. We are building a diverse national movement of mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers dedicated to convincing elected officials and business leaders to work for a swift, complete, and just transition away from fossil fuels to clean and renewable energy. We know that mothers have an important role to play in the climate change movement, and, when it comes to protecting their children, mothers are an unstoppable force for change! Our goal is simple: to enable mothers to take active leadership in climate change work, by providing the structure, training, and tools for them to work together on campaigns in their communities and at the statewide level. We are a volunteer-led, national organization that is growing quickly. Founded in 2013, we currently have staff currently working in eight states and are a fast-growing organization with no plans of slowing down.
Statewide Campaign Coordination & Rapid Response Base-building
- Work with a team of racially and geographically diverse volunteers to develop, launch and implement a statewide campaign plan to take action on climate change and potentially result in a statewide victory.
- Serve as lead VA staff member for statewide legislative actions at the Capital (Richmond and/or DC), and during the General Assembly to ensure campaigns related to fossil fuel infrastructure and specific legislative actions are prioritized.
- Participate and support Mothers Out Front’s state-wide coalition work by directly participating in 2-3 coalition spaces and reporting back to VA staff/leaders on a monthly basis.
- Continue to engage community teams, new members, and other supporters around key policy goals.
- Cultivate partnerships with allied organizations and establish Mothers Out Front as a leader in VA for environmental justice policy.
Communications and Training
- Serve as VA lead staff member for communications about specific statewide campaigns and legislative actions.
- Identify key members of campaign and legislative teams to receive training and coaching to take on key communication roles.
- In collaboration with member-leaders, educate members and supporters about our state priorities by coordinating workshops and webinars and producing educational materials in partnership with Learning. Develop toolkits and resources to support specific statewide campaign organizing and train members on being effective advocates and the successful lobbying of their legislators.
- Reach out to mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers across the region to establish and maintain community teams.
- Increase mothers, grandmothers, and caregiver engagement in movement building activities by building a snowflake model per team.
- Recruit mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers through outreach tactics such as door knocking, phone banks, one-on-ones, attendance of local events, etc.
- Assess movement needs and provide strategic advice, training, and support for new and existing teams around: development of strategic local and statewide campaign plans, actions and materials, setting and helping to meet goals; ensuring campaigns are in alignment with the Mothers Out Front mission to effectively make progress away from fossil fuels.
- Participate and train members to participate in strategic coalitions that support our movement and increase our visibility and establish working relationships with key decision-makers, funders, media, and other stakeholders in the state to move campaign work forward.
- Support members in developing relationships with a diverse mix of allied organizations and community leaders.
- Ensure key data (including number of people engaged, house parties held, volunteers participating in campaign events, and more) is recorded and tracked in the NationBuilder database. Recruit and train volunteer data coordinators to ensure all community teams are effectively maximizing the database.
- Work closely with volunteer leadership to coordinate events across the region. Recruit and support volunteer house party team members.
- Participate in fundraising initiatives as needed, including working with Development and membership staff to meet membership goals in the region. Provide relevant data for the Development department, and, as needed, attend fundraising events.
- Recruit members to serve on the statewide leadership and functional teams.
- Draft monthly and annual reports.
- Provide timely response to emails, phone calls and slack messages.
- Submit credit card receipts and reimbursements in a timely manner.
- Use our online tools to manage paid-time-off, calendar and expenses.
What we’re looking for in you
- The priority geography for this position is the Richmond area with consideration for candidates based in Charlottesville.
- At least 3 years of experience in grassroots organizing with an emphasis on leadership development, ideally in a grassroots campaign setting (in VA).
- A passion for developing the leadership of mothers.
- Strong background in working with member-led teams to coordinate campaigns and achieve results.
- An understanding of strategic issue campaign development, ideally at the statewide and municipal level, including attention to collaborative goal-setting, power-building, tactics that influence decision-makers, building effective teams, and the use of public narrative and story-telling in campaign organizing.
- High creativity and flexibility. An ability to thrive in a dynamic, goal-oriented, fast-paced, campaign-oriented environment. Able to work remotely and be productively self-directed and personally organized.
- Demonstrated ability for “systems thinking,” or an ability to move new ideas and practices through an evolving network.
- Experienced at active and reflective listening. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong administrative skills, ideally including an aptitude for working with databases and setting up administrative systems. Some experience working with database software for fundraising and organizing.
- Demonstrated ability and commitment to working with people from a variety of backgrounds, especially different ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds. Experience working with people from different religious, educational, generational, and gender identity backgrounds as well as those with physical disabilities and from the LGBTQ community will be beneficial.
- The ability to work evenings and weekends, as needed;
- Access to reliable transportation and the ability to travel into Richmond during the General Assembly and across the state regularly and to out-of-state meetings for 3-5 days duration twice per year.
Additional Details: Mothers out Front is a virtual organization. Community organizers primarily work in the communities they are working with, partnering with mothers and others. When not in the field, you will work from a home office and must be based in or near Richmond or Charlottesville. This is a full-time position.
Salary and benefits: The salary range for this position is $55,000 to $69,950 (annualized), depending on experience. Benefits include generous health and dental benefits, a 401(k) plan, flexible spending plan, paid vacation, holidays, sick days, and a technology stipend for remote work set-up. We offer ongoing training opportunities, a fast-paced, dynamic, supportive, and collaborative setting, and are proudly women-led!
Our interview process: We have a thorough interview process which involves a phone interview, video interview, writing exercise, reference calls, and an in-person interview for candidates who are advanced.
We also have a commitment to building up a sizable and diverse candidate pool before moving applicants to the final interview stages, which means there may be a delay in getting back to you. Our hope is that our process allows us to make the best possible decision and for you to learn more about us, and appreciate your understanding. We will do our best to keep you posted on your status throughout the process and ask that you stay in touch as well.
To apply: Please visit our jobs page https://www.mothersoutfront.org/job_opportunities and click on “apply now” at the bottom of the posting. Please include a resume and cover letter with “Richmond VA Senior Community Organizer” in the subject line, specifically addressing why you believe you are qualified for this position.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Reasonable Accommodation
Mothers Out Front is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The organization encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, record of arrest or conviction and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.