Richmond Metropolitan Community Organizer
Mothers Out Front
30+ days ago
Richmond Metropolitan Community Organizer – **MUST LIVE IN THE RICHMOND METROPOLITAN AREA**
Mothers Out Front is a dynamic social impact organization with ambitious goals to address the climate
crisis. We are seeking a talented and passionate organizer to join our Virginia team and help build a
diverse and powerful movement of mothers, grandmothers, and allies stepping up in big ways to take
action for climate justice . This is an exciting opportunity for a strategic, collaborative and energetic
About Mothers Out Front:
Mothers Out Front builds our power as mothers to ensure a livable climate for all children. We are
building a diverse national movement of mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers dedicated to
convincing elected officials and business leaders to work for a swift, complete, and just transition away
from fossil fuels to clean and renewable energy. We know that mothers have an important role to play
in the climate change movement, and, when it comes to protecting their children, mothers are an
unstoppable force for change! Our goal is simple: to enable mothers to take active leadership in
climate justice work by providing the structure, training, and tools for them to work together on
campaigns in their communities and at the statewide level.
Reports to: Virginia Organizing Manager
The Richmond Metropolitan community organizer will work to build community teams that carry out
effective campaigns that move decision makers to make child-centered climate decisions. You will help
us focus resources particularly in those communities who suffer the injustices of climate change and
fossil fuel use today and have been historically marginalized. We have passionate volunteer-led teams
across Virginia advocating for a swift transition away from fossil fuels towards clean and renewable
energy and are committed to deepening and expanding this critical movement. As the community
organizer in your region, you will work to build teams who carry out effective campaigns that move
decision makers to make child-centered climate decisions.
- Reaching out to mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers across the region to establish and
- Increase mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers’ engagement in Mothers Out Front movement
- Provide strategic advice, training, and support for new and existing teams, helping them to
meet goals; ensuring the campaigns are in alignment with the Mothers Out Front mission to
effectively make progress toward the elimination of away from fossil fuels.
- Support leaders and volunteers of Mothers Out Front to develop relationships with a diverse
- Attend local team meetings, facilitate the meetings, and oversee logistics and outreach.
- Participate and train members to participate in strategic coalitions that support our movement
media and other stakeholders in your region to move the campaign work forward.
- Ensure that key data (including number of people engaged, house parties held, volunteers
NationBuilder. Recruit and train volunteer data coordinators to ensure all community teams are
effectively maximizing the database.
- Work closely with the volunteer leadership to coordinate events across the region. Recruit and
- Participate in fundraising initiatives as needed, including working with Mothers Out Front
data for the development department and, as needed, attend fundraising events.
- Recruit members to serve on the statewide leadership team and functional teams to advance
- Draft monthly and annual reports.
- Enter data monthly to ensure the Metro Richmond membership base data is up-to-date and
- Respond timely to emails, phone calls and slack messages.
- Submit credit card receipts and reimbursements timely.
- Use our online tools to manage paid-time-off, calendar and expenses.
- At least three years of experience in grassroots organizing with an emphasis on base building,
- Experience planning, executing and evaluating executing strategic campaigns and organizing
- Experience with creating curriculum and facilitating interactive training for leadership
- Experience with fundraising a bonus.
- High creativity and strategic action. An ability to thrive in a dynamic, goal-oriented, fast-
directed and personally organized.
- An understanding of strategic issue campaign development, ideally at the municipal level,
effective democratic local organizations, and the use of public narrative and story-telling in
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills: experienced in active and reflective
- Demonstrated ability and commitment to working with people from a variety of backgrounds,
experience working with people from different religious, educational, generational, and gender
identity backgrounds as well as those with physical disabilities and from the LGBTQ community.
- The ability to work evenings and weekends, as needed, and to travel across the region state
***Details: Mothers out Front is a virtual organization. You will work from a home office and must be
based in the Metro Richmond area. This is a full-time position.***
Salary and benefits: The salary range is $41,200 to $59,990, depending on experience. Benefits include
health and dental benefits, a 401(k) plan, flexible spending plan, paid vacation, holidays, sick days,
and support for remote work set-up. We offer ongoing training opportunities, a fast-paced, dynamic,
supportive, and collaborative setting and we are proudly women-led!
Mothers Out Front is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, members of the
LGBTQ community, and members of other historically disenfranchised groups are especially welcome and encouraged to apply.