New York State Organizing Manager
Mothers Out Front
30 days ago
New York State Organizing Manager - *MUST RESIDE IN NEW YORK*
Mothers Out Front is a fully remote, dynamic social impact organization with a vision for a
healthy and safe climate for all kids. We are seeking a talented and passionate full-time
Organizing Manager to join our team and help build a diverse and impactful movement of
mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers stepping up in significant ways to take action for
climate justice in New York. This is an exciting opportunity for a strategic, collaborative, results-
oriented, and energetic leader.
About Mothers Out Front:
Mothers Out Front builds our power as mothers to ensure a just and livable climate for all
children. We are building a diverse national movement of mothers, grandmothers, and
caregivers dedicated to convincing elected officials and business leaders to work for a swift,
complete, and just transition away from fossil fuels to clean and renewable energy. We know
that mothers have an essential role in the climate justice movement, and when it comes to
protecting their children, mothers are an unstoppable force for change! Our goal is simple: to
enable mothers to take active leadership in climate justice work by providing the structure,
training, and tools to work together on campaigns in their communities and at the statewide
level. We are a member-led, national organization committed to climate solutions that are
equitable and community-driven. Founded in 2013, this year’s operating budget nearly $4
million and We currently have volunteer led teams advancing climate justice in five states
(California, Colorado, Massachusetts, New York, and Virginia). We ,are a fast-growing, high-
impact, low-ego organization with no plans of slowing down.
Reports to: Director of Organizing
Supervises: Community Organizer(s) and Senior Organizer(s)
Mothers Out Front is seeking a talented and experienced organizer and manager to develop
and lead our campaign, policy, and recruitment strategies in New York state. As the organizing
manager, you’ll work with volunteers and staff to build a diverse and influential movement of
mothers, grandmothers, caregivers, and allies advocating for a swift and just transition away
from fossil fuels toward clean and renewable energy. As this is a statewide position, regular
statewide travel is expected. In addition, as a fully remote national organization, occasional
national travel for staff gatherings, distributed actions, and federal grassroots lobbying actions
may be required.
Leadership and Management
- Recruit, train and manage organizers and volunteer members to ensure Mothers Out
- With organizers and volunteer members, develop statewide and local campaigns that
potentially national climate justice campaigns. .
- Plan, run, and evaluate local and state campaigns that create opportunities to advance
- Manage and coach our state organizers to identify opportunities and tactics that will
practices for evaluating team performance and seek feedback from our volunteer
leaders on a regular basis to refine our goals and tactics to achieve campaigns wins.
- Partner with our development team to support the cultivation and procurement of
- Actively participate as a member of Mothers Out Front’s n national Organizing Manager
focuses on shared impact and growth goals. Demonstrate organizational leadership
within Mothers Out Front that is solution-oriented, strategic, and results-oriented.
- Continuously work to improve staff morale by setting clear expectations, celebrating
- Develop, train, and maintain a state leadership team consisting of volunteer member
statewide movement that engages thousands of moms and other stakeholders for
systemic and impactful climate justice wins.
- Integrate national resources into the state, and develop as necessary organizing
resources they need to be successful.
- Develop and support statewide and local teams of members and organizers to build
- Create strategies with staff and members to support the growth of volunteers to ensure
- Participate in strategic statewide coalitions that support our movement and increase our
other stakeholders in your state to move the campaign work forward.
- Understand the challenges in the state and work with volunteer members, staff, and the
- Maintain a monthly statewide newsletter with both national and local updates, resources,
- Draft quarterly and annual reports.
- Oversight of staff paid time off, expenses, lobbying reporting, etc.
- Respond timely to emails, phone calls, and Slack messages.
- Submit credit card receipts and reimbursements on time.
- Create and manage the state budget in partnership with the state leadership team,
- Maintain an organized digital folder with campaign, organizing, and volunteer and
- At least five years of experience in grassroots or deep relational organizing, leadership
- Experience in and a commitment to organizing models that build a multi-racial, cross-
- Management experience in statewide organizing, volunteer recruitment and
- Familiarity with climate partners and stakeholders and a demonstrated capacity to work
- A demonstrated understanding of and experience in New York state politics and
- Knowledgeable about the impact of the climate crisis, with experience organizing
- Experience and comfort with attending meetings with foundations and individual donors.
- Track record of building bridges across organizational structures to promote a healthy
- High creativity and strategic action-oriented. An ability to thrive in a dynamic, goal-
- Ability to work remotely and be productively self-directed and personally organized.
- An understanding of strategic issue campaign development, ideally at the statewide,
influence decision-makers, building effective democratic local organizations, and using
public narrative and story-telling in campaign organizing.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to inspire action.
- Commitment to and a demonstrated understanding of equity and racial justice, working
- The ability to work evenings and weekends as needed and to travel across the state
- Commitment to and experience in advancing racial equity and inclusion in the workplace
- Commitment to Mothers Out Front’s mission and working with volunteer leaders in the
- High tolerance for ambiguity, changing work priorities and deadlines, and a willingness
- A self-starter with a high degree of energy and careful attention to detail.
- Excellent computer skills; comfortable in Google Suite, Microsoft Suite, Slack, etc.
***Location: Mothers Out Front is a fully remote organization. You can be based anywhere in
New York and work from a home office. This full-time position reports to our Director of
Salary and benefits: The salary range is $66,950 to $80,340, depending on experience. A
generous benefits package includes health and dental benefits, a 401(k) plan, a Medical
Flexible Spending plan, paid vacation, holidays, sick days, and support for remote work set-up.
We offer ongoing training opportunities in a fast-paced, dynamic, supportive and collaborative
setting, and we are proudly women-led!
Please send your résumé and a cover letter that specifically addresses why were you called to
lead and your experience leading a grassroots distributed organizing movement for social or
As separate attachments, include at least 3 professional references and any salary
requirements or expectations. References are not contacted unless you are interviewed and
Send all materials to:
Mothers Out Front is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, members of the
LGBTQ community, and other historically disenfranchised groups are especially welcome and
encouraged to apply. Diversity, inclusion, and broad representation are our strengths.