New York State Organizing Manager
Mothers Out Front
New York City, NY, United States
29 days ago
New York State Organizing Manager - *MUST RESIDE IN NEW YORK*
Mothers Out Front is a fully remote, dynamic social impact organization with a vision for a
healthy and safe climate for all kids. We are seeking a talented and passionate full-time
Organizing Manager to join our team and help build a diverse and impactful movement of
mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers stepping up in significant ways to take action for
climate justice in New York. This is an exciting opportunity for a strategic, collaborative, results-
oriented, and energetic leader.
About Mothers Out Front:
Mothers Out Front builds our power as mothers to ensure a just and livable climate for all
children. We are building a diverse national movement of mothers, grandmothers, and
caregivers dedicated to convincing elected officials and business leaders to work for a swift,
complete, and just transition away from fossil fuels to clean and renewable energy. We know
that mothers have an essential role in the climate justice movement, and when it comes to
protecting their children, mothers are an unstoppable force for change! Our goal is simple: to
enable mothers to take active leadership in climate justice work by providing the structure,
training, and tools to work together on campaigns in their communities and at the statewide
level. We are a member-led, national organization committed to climate solutions that are
equitable and community-driven. Founded in 2013, this year’s operating budget nearly $4
million and We currently have volunteer led teams advancing climate justice in five states
(California, Colorado, Massachusetts, New York, and Virginia). We ,are a fast-growing, high-
impact, low-ego organization with no plans of slowing down.
Reports to: Director of Organizing
Supervises: Community Organizer(s) and Senior Organizer(s)
Mothers Out Front is seeking a talented and experienced organizer and manager to develop
and lead our campaign, policy, and recruitment strategies in New York state. As the organizing
manager, you’ll work with volunteers and staff to build a diverse and influential movement of
mothers, grandmothers, caregivers, and allies advocating for a swift and just transition away
from fossil fuels toward clean and renewable energy. As this is a statewide position, regular
statewide travel is expected. In addition, as a fully remote national organization, occasional
national travel for staff gatherings, distributed actions, and federal grassroots lobbying actions
may be required.
Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Leadership and Management
● Recruit, train and manage organizers and volunteer members to ensure Mothers Out
Front has a visible and impactful presence in New York.
● With organizers and volunteer members, develop statewide and local campaigns that
include metric-driven, results-oriented implementation plans to win local, statewide and
potentially national climate justice campaigns. .
● Plan, run, and evaluate local and state campaigns that create opportunities to advance
climate justice wins at the local and state level.
● Manage and coach our state organizers to identify opportunities and tactics that will
advance the mission and vision of Mothers Out Front in New York. Employ best
practices for evaluating team performance and seek feedback from our volunteer
leaders on a regular basis to refine our goals and tactics to achieve campaigns wins.
● Partner with our development team to support the cultivation and procurement of
sustainable funding for our work in the state when called upon.
● Actively participate as a member of Mothers Out Front’s n national Organizing Manager
Team to ensure an aligned management approach that is equitable, inclusive and
focuses on shared impact and growth goals. Demonstrate organizational leadership
within Mothers Out Front that is solution-oriented, strategic, and results-oriented.
● Continuously work to improve staff morale by setting clear expectations, celebrating
wins, and creating team-building opportunities in your state.
● Develop, train, and maintain a state leadership team consisting of volunteer member
leaders from across the state and work with the state leadership team to build a
statewide movement that engages thousands of moms and other stakeholders for
systemic and impactful climate justice wins.
● Integrate national resources into the state, and develop as necessary organizing
systems and tools for your state to ensure that your staff and members have the
resources they need to be successful.
● Develop and support statewide and local teams of members and organizers to build
power and win campaigns across the state and develop engaging storytelling strategies.
● Create strategies with staff and members to support the growth of volunteers to ensure
they are moving up the ladder of engagement.
● Participate in strategic statewide coalitions that support our movement and increase our
visibility; establish working relationships with key decision-makers, funders, media, and
other stakeholders in your state to move the campaign work forward.
● Understand the challenges in the state and work with volunteer members, staff, and the
national organization to problem solve.
● Maintain a monthly statewide newsletter with both national and local updates, resources,
and celebrate wins.
● Draft quarterly and annual reports.
● Oversight of staff paid time off, expenses, lobbying reporting, etc.
● Respond timely to emails, phone calls, and Slack messages.
● Submit credit card receipts and reimbursements on time.
● Create and manage the state budget in partnership with the state leadership team,
organizing staff, and national leadership.
● Maintain an organized digital folder with campaign, organizing, and volunteer and
Organizing and Management Experience
● At least five years of experience in grassroots or deep relational organizing, leadership
development for volunteer members, and statewide and municipal campaigns
● Experience in and a commitment to organizing models that build a multi-racial, cross-
class, multi-generational constituency of mothers who will advance climate justice wins.
● Management experience in statewide organizing, volunteer recruitment and
engagement, and remote staff
● Familiarity with climate partners and stakeholders and a demonstrated capacity to work
in coalition to create systemic change
● A demonstrated understanding of and experience in New York state politics and
● Knowledgeable about the impact of the climate crisis, with experience organizing
towards climate and environmental justice preferred
● Experience and comfort with attending meetings with foundations and individual donors.
● Track record of building bridges across organizational structures to promote a healthy
and thriving organization culture that enables climate and environmental justice
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
● High creativity and strategic action-oriented. An ability to thrive in a dynamic, goal-
oriented, fast-paced, campaign environment.
● Ability to work remotely and be productively self-directed and personally organized.
● An understanding of strategic issue campaign development, ideally at the statewide,
regional, or municipal levels, including attention to power-building and tactics that
influence decision-makers, building effective democratic local organizations, and using
public narrative and story-telling in campaign organizing.
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills to inspire action.
● Commitment to and a demonstrated understanding of equity and racial justice, working
with people from diverse racial and socioeconomic backgrounds
● The ability to work evenings and weekends as needed and to travel across the state
regularly and to national staff and manager retreats.
● Commitment to and experience in advancing racial equity and inclusion in the workplace
and in your organizing work.
● Commitment to Mothers Out Front’s mission and working with volunteer leaders in the
pursuit of climate justice for all.
● High tolerance for ambiguity, changing work priorities and deadlines, and a willingness
to take on responsibilities and to prioritize own work on multiple projects.
● A self-starter with a high degree of energy and careful attention to detail.
● Excellent computer skills; comfortable in Google Suite, Microsoft Suite, Slack, etc.
_***Location: Mothers Out Front is a fully remote organization. You can be based anywhere in
New York and work from a home office. This full-time position reports to our Director of
Salary and benefits: The salary range is $66,950 to $80,340, depending on experience. A
generous benefits package includes health and dental benefits, a 401(k) plan, a Medical
Flexible Spending plan, paid vacation, holidays, sick days, and support for remote work set-up.
We offer ongoing training opportunities in a fast-paced, dynamic, supportive and collaborative
setting, and we are proudly women-led!
Please send your résumé and a cover letter that specifically addresses why were you called to
lead and your experience leading a grassroots distributed organizing movement for social or
As separate attachments, include at least 3 professional references and any salary
requirements or expectations. References are not contacted unless you are interviewed and
Send all materials to:
Mothers Out Front is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, members of the
LGBTQ community, and other historically disenfranchised groups are especially welcome and
encouraged to apply. Diversity, inclusion, and broad representation are our strengths.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $66,950.00 - $80,340.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 10 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
- Are you located in New York State?
- Nonprofit management: 3 years (Preferred)
- Volunteer management: 3 years (Preferred)
Work Location: Remote