Northern CA Community Organizer
Mothers Out Front
Los Angeles, CA, United States
30+ days ago
California Community Organizer – N. Cal
Mothers Out Front is a dynamic social impact organization with ambitious goals to address the climate crisis. We are seeking a talented and passionate organizer located in Northern California to join our team and help build a diverse and powerful movement of mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers stepping up in big ways to take action on climate change. This is an exciting opportunity for a strategic, collaborative and energetic individual.
About Mothers Out Front:
Our organization builds our power as mothers to ensure a livable climate for all children. We are building a diverse national movement of mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers dedicated to convincing elected officials and business leaders to work for a swift, complete, and just transition away from fossil fuels to clean and renewable energy. We know that mothers have an important role to play in the climate change movement, and, when it comes to protecting their children, mothers are an unstoppable force for change! Our goal is simple: to enable mothers to take active leadership in climate change work by providing the structure, training, and tools for them to work together on campaigns in their communities and at the statewide level. We are a member-led, national organization that is growing quickly. Founded in 2013, we currently have staff working in nine states and are a fast growing organization with no plans of slowing down.
Reports to: CA Organizing Manager
The Northern California community organizer will work to build community teams who carry out effective local campaigns that move decision makers to make child-centered climate decisions. You will help us focus resources particularly in those communities who suffer the injustices of climate change and fossil fuel use today and have been historically marginalized. We have passionate volunteer-led teams across California state advocating for a swift transition away from fossil fuels towards clean and renewable energy and are committed to deepening and expanding this critical movement. As the community organizer in your region, you will coach and organize with teams in San Francisco, San Jose, and Sacramento to carry out effective local campaigns that move decision makers to make child-centered climate decisions.
Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Reaching out to mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers across the region to establish and maintain Mothers Out Front community teams.
- Increase mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers’ engagement in Mothers Out Front movement building activities.
- Recruiting mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers through outreach tactics such as door knocking, phone banks, one-on-ones, attending local events, etc.
- Providing strategic advice, training, and support for new and existing teams around: developing strategic local and statewide campaign plans, actions and materials, setting and helping to meet goals; ensuring the campaigns are in alignment with the Mothers Out Front mission to effectively make progress away from fossil fuels.
- Supporting members of Mothers Out Front in developing relationships with a diverse mix of allied organizations and community leaders.
- Participate and train members to participate in strategic coalitions that support our movement and increase our visibility; establish a working relationship with key decision-makers, funders, media and other stakeholders in your state to move the campaign work forward.
- Ensuring key data (including number of people engaged, house parties held, volunteers participating in campaign events, and more) is recorded and tracked in our database, NationBuilder. Recruit and train volunteer data coordinators to ensure all community teams are effectively maximizing the database.
- Working closely with the volunteer leadership to coordinate events across the region. Recruit and support volunteer house party team members.
- Participating in fundraising initiatives as needed, including working with Mothers Out Front development and membership staff to meet membership goals in the region. Provide relevant data for the development department and, as needed, attend fundraising events.
- Recruiting members to serve on the statewide leadership team and functional teams.
- Draft monthly and annual reports.
- Respond timely to emails, phone calls and slack messages.
- Submit credit card receipts and reimbursements timely.
- Use our online tools to manage paid-time-off, calendar and expenses.
Education and Experience
- At least three years of experience in grassroots organizing with an emphasis on base building and leadership development, ideally in a grassroots issue-based campaign setting.
- Experience executing strategic campaign and organizing plans in nonprofit or labor setting.
- Experience with creating curriculum and facilitating interactive trainings for leadership development and civic engagement.
- Experience with recruiting new dues-paying members.
- Experienced at active and reflective listening.
- Experienced working in collaboration with volunteers and staff.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- High creativity and strategic action. An ability to thrive in a dynamic, goal-oriented, fast-paced, campaign-oriented environment. Ability to work remotely and be productively self-directed and personally organized.
- An understanding of strategic issue campaign development, ideally at the municipal level, including attention to power-building, tactics that influence decision-makers, building effective democratic local organizations, and the use of public narrative and story-telling in campaign organizing.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability and commitment to working with people from a variety of backgrounds, especially different ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds. It’s also helpful if you have experience working with people from different religious, educational, generational, and gender identity backgrounds as well as those with physical disabilities and from the LGBTQ community.
- The ability to work evenings and weekends, as needed, and to travel across the state regularly, and to national staff and manager retreats.
Details: Mothers out Front is a virtual organization. You will work from a home office and must be based with relative proximity to the Bay Area or the Sacramento area. While we are a virtual organization, this position is required to hold in-person meetings and organizing tactics. This is a full-time position.
Salary and benefits: The salary range is $43,600 to $59,900, depending on experience. Benefits include health and dental benefits, a 401(k) plan, flexible spending plan, paid vacation, holidays, sick days, and support for remote work set-up. We offer ongoing training opportunities, a fast-paced, dynamic, supportive, and collaborative setting and we are proudly women-led!
Please apply through the application form associated with this position on our website providing a resume and cover letter specifically addressing why you believe you are qualified for this position.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Reasonable Accommodation
Mothers Out Front is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The organization encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, record of arrest or conviction and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.