Day Camp Environmental Educator (Marblehead Location)
Topsfield, MA, United States
30+ days ago
Sanctuary: Ipswich River
About Mass Audubon
Mass Audubon is the largest nature-based conservation organization in New England. Founded in 1896 by two women who fought for the protection of birds, Mass Audubon carries on their legacy by focusing on the greatest challenges facing the environment today: the loss of biodiversity, inequitable access to nature, and climate change. With the help of our 160,000 members and supporters, we protect wildlife, conserve and restore resilient land, advocate for impactful environmental policies, offer nationally recognized education programs for adults and children, and provide endless opportunities to experience the outdoors at our wildlife sanctuaries.
About This Position
Ipswich River Nature Camp at Church of St. Andrew in Marblehead is seeking individuals to foster experiential nature-based learning for campers. We aim to promote positive youth development, stewardship for the environment, and a respectful and inclusive safe space for all our campers.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead a small group of children by exploring fields, forests, wetlands, streams, and hiking trails
- Develop, plan, and implement age-appropriate nature-based lessons and daily activities for children
- Ensure health and safety of all children in group
- Treat all campers with compassion
- Act as a role model to both campers and colleagues
- Assist in cleanup/organization at the end of each day
At Mass Audubon, our highest priority is finding the best candidate for the job. Research has shown that people of color and women are less likely to apply for jobs if they don't believe they meet every one of the qualifications described in a job description. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our described qualifications or you have a less traditional background. We are looking for applicants with the following qualifications:
Required qualifications as per Massachusetts Department of Public Health (MA DPH) regulations, American Camp Association standards and Mass Audubon Policy:
- Must be 18 +
- Have 4+ weeks experience working with children (including, but not limited to: babysitting: volunteer or otherwise, and experience with younger siblings)
- Must hold current First Aid and CPR certifications OR be willing to obtain them before the start of the summer
- Provide documented proof of immunity or vaccination record as mandated by MA DPH; complete camp health form and waiver
- Participate in mandated, paid camp training and utilize learning including: natural history, communication, group management, health and safety, and teaching techniques
- Experience teaching nature-based activities in a camp environment
- Be willing to manage a group outdoors for six hours a day in most weather conditions
- Physically access sanctuary terrain easily by foot
- Ability to effectively interact with others, especially children, in camp’s youth-centered environment
- Ability to adapt to changes in schedule and work assignment
- Have strong interest or related education experience in Environmental Studies, Biology, Conservation, Education, or related field
- Familiarity with regional natural history, wildlife conservation, or other applicable natural history topics
Compensation & Benefits
This position’s base salary range is $18.28-$20.50/hour; actual salary will reflect level of experience and qualifications relative to position requirements. This is not a benefits eligible position.
Perks of Working at Mass Audubon:
- Free First Aid/CPR training class offered to staff in June
- “Pro- Deal” discounts on outdoor clothing, equipment and more
- Network with Mass Audubon staff (Conservation, Education, Climate Science, etc.)
- Training in Natural History & Classroom Management
Camp Training: June 19-23, 2023
Camp Weeks: July 10-August 4, 2023
All Mass Audubon Camp Staff undergo mandatory training prior to interacting with campers. Training includes: Natural History, Lesson Planning, Behavior Management, Games, and so much more. If you have a strong desire to work with campers in an outdoor environment, and are interested in learning how to teach and effectively lead groups, please apply.
Employees must successfully complete a CORI and SORI Background Check and a Motor Vehicle Record (if applicable) is required.
Mass Audubon requires that all staff, regardless of their work location, disclose their vaccination status. Proof of vaccination status will be required immediately upon hire. This should also include a booster shot if it has been 5 months since you were initially vaccinated.
Mass Audubon's Commitment To Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Justice
Mass Audubon's mission is to "protect the nature of Massachusetts for people and for wildlife" by building a strong coalition of employees, volunteers, and community members. We recognize that the environmental movement and field of conservation have been affected by societal systems that have limited opportunity and access for many people. As a result, Mass Audubon is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. We are engaged in an ongoing process of organizational assessment and change, designed to remove barriers and create a workplace where all forms of diversity are recognized and valued.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Mass Audubon is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. Mass Audubon prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
How To Apply
Please apply on ADP Workforce Now: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=6044bc19-19e6-443a-8a51-62fe8af33798&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=451097&lang=en_US&source=EN.