About Mass Audubon
Mass Audubon is the largest nature-based conservation organization in New England. Founded in 1896 by two women who fought for the protection of birds, Mass Audubon carries on their legacy by focusing on the greatest challenges facing the environment today: the loss of biodiversity, inequitable access to nature, and climate change. With the help of our 160,000 members and supporters, we protect wildlife, conserve and restore resilient land, advocate for impactful environmental policies, offer nationally recognized education programs for adults and children, and provide endless opportunities to experience the outdoors at our wildlife sanctuaries. Explore, find inspiration, and take action at massaudubon.org.
About This Position
Mass Audubon is looking for an energetic, organized, team-oriented Visitor Services Representative to perform the day-to-day duties of visitor engagement operations and to ensure an overall positive, welcoming, enriching, and safe experience to all of our members, visitors, and guests. The Visitor Services Representative is specifically responsible for providing excellent customer service while greeting and registering visitors in person and by phone, providing orientation to the sanctuary, directing visitors throughout the property and trail systems, answering questions about events and programs, monitoring building and grounds, introducing visitors to the many benefits of Mass Audubon membership, and generally educating guests about Mass Audubon. The Visitor Services Representative has an important and integral role as a welcoming, customer-oriented ambassador of Mass Audubon properties, programs, and mission.
Please submit a resume and cover letter with your ADP application.
- Greet and provide information to members, visitors, and guests regarding visitor center, sanctuary, trails, programs, and Mass Audubon in general
- Answer phone calls/monitor voice mails and provide information, guidance and direction
- Assist with program registrations
- Update visitor signage, brochures and bulletin board information
- Understand and promote membership opportunities
- Use a cash register and credit card machine for sales and admissions
- Monitor radio and be prepared to serve as primary communication point-of-contact in case of emergency per standing policies and procedures
- Handle opening and closing procedures including end-of-day register sales tallying
- Assist with visitor services volunteer training and work cooperatively with volunteers
- Work with Property staff to monitor trail conditions
- Provide visitor services duties at other sanctuaries within Metro South Region where necessary
- Attend trainings and meetings when requested
- Periodically may be asked to work from greeting table outdoors during special events, promotions, etc.
- Assist in cleaning and sanitation
- Assist as needed during peak periods such as holiday weekends or special events
At Mass Audubon, our highest priority is finding the best candidate for the job. Research has shown that people of color and women are less likely to apply for jobs if they don’t believe they meet every one of the qualifications described in a job description. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our described qualifications or you have a less traditional background. We are looking for applicants with the following qualifications:
- At least 18 years of age
- Customer Service/Visitor Service experience
- Excellent people skills and enthusiasm for a team working environment
- Organized with strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong desire to achieve results in meeting sales goals and demonstrated ability to effectively promote goods or services
- Office skills including computer, copier, scanning, and phone system
- Experience with varied computer software programs (Office 365, Outlook, Word, Excel).
- A demonstrated ability to work well with other staff, volunteers, and community representatives as well as independently when necessary
- Ability to relate to a diverse range of people and exercise cultural competence and inclusion
Nice to Haves
- Associates degree or equivalent experience a plus.
- Formal training or other experience in either the natural sciences or education preferred
- CPR/First Aid Certification or willingness to obtain certification
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
This position’s pay range is $17.40-$19.54/hour; actual salary will reflect level of experience and qualifications relative to position requirements.This is a year-round position and earns vacation time as well as receives paid holidays.
Saturdays, 8:30am-4:30pm at Moose Hill and Sundays 8:30am-4:30pm at Stony Brook, plus holidays and additional coverage as needed.
Employees must successfully complete a CORI and SORI Background Check and a Motor Vehicle Record (if applicable) is required.
Mass Audubon’s Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Justice
Mass Audubon embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are dedicated to forming a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Mass Audubon’s mission is to “protect the nature of Massachusetts for people and for wildlife” by building a strong coalition of employees, volunteers, and community members. We recognize that the environmental movement and field of conservation have been affected by societal systems that have limited opportunity and access for many people. As a result, Mass Audubon is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. We are engaged in an ongoing process of organizational assessment and change, designed to remove barriers and create a workplace where all forms of diversity are recognized and valued.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Mass Audubon is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. Mass Audubon prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.