Nature Preschool Teacher
Norfolk, MA, United States
27 days ago
Sanctuary: Stony Brook
About Mass Audubon
Mass Audubon is the largest nature-based conservation organization in New England. Founded in 1896 by two women who fought for the protection of birds, Mass Audubon carries on their legacy by focusing on the greatest challenges facing the environment today: the loss of biodiversity, inequitable access to nature, and climate change. With the help of our 140,000 members and supporters, we protect wildlife, conserve and restore resilient land, advocate for impactful environmental policies, offer nationally recognized education programs for adults and children, and provide endless opportunities to experience the outdoors at our wildlife sanctuaries. Explore, find inspiration, and take action at www.massaudubon.org.
About This Position
Located on the grounds of Stony Brook Wildlife Sanctuary and adjacent to the 140-acre Bristol Blake State Reservation which is cooperatively managed with the Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR), this former 18th-century mill site now supports native wildlife. The students and staff spend their days exploring and investigating the natural world through multi-sensory, hands-on, nature-based science curriculum.
Candidates for this position must possess a love of nature and teaching outdoors with children ranging in age from 3 to 6 years. This is a full-time school-year position, with 5 hours per week through the summer months.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide a physically and emotionally safe environment for young children in both indoor and outdoor settings;
- Work with a co-teacher to develop and implement a curriculum that reflects the needs and interests of the children;
- Work 8:00am-4:00pm daily, with a half hour of set-up and break down book-ending the day;
- Follow protocols established by Stony Brook Wildlife Sanctuary and EEC regulations;
- Help maintain the physical environment by contributing to housekeeping tasks as needed;
- Observing and documenting children’s learning through the use of notes and assessment tools;
- Spend significant time outdoors with the students during all seasons;
- Participate in Parent/Teacher Conferences and community engagement activities;
- Acknowledge and respect diversity and promote inclusion of all people regardless of ethnic, cultural, linguistic backgrounds, gender identity, sexual orientation, and physical and mental disabilities;
- Maintain schedule as determined by the Preschool Director.
At Mass Audubon, our highest priority is finding the best candidate for the job. Research has shown that people of color and women are less likely to apply for jobs if they don't believe they meet every one of the qualifications described in a job description. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our described qualifications or you have a less traditional background. We are looking for applicants with the following qualifications:
- MA Department of Early Education and Care Preschool Teacher Certification or higher preferred;
- Familiarity with inquiry-based and play-based nature education;
- Familiarity with MA early childhood standards;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to work cooperatively and independently required;
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and commitment to helping others grow in understanding of and concern for the environment and people’s relationship to it;
- Ability to lead walks on trails
Nice to Have’s:
- Current first aid/CPR or willing to obtain.
Compensation & Benefits
This position’s base hourly range is $18.35 - $20.60; actual salary will reflect level of experience and qualifications relative to position requirements.
Benefits and Perks
Benefits eligible staff at Mass Audubon may elect to enroll in medical, dental, and vision plans. Mass Audubon also offers disability and life insurance plans, a retirement plan through MetLife, and Flexible Spending Account options. Mass Audubon employment also includes access to an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and the Reciprocity Agreement through the Consortium of Non-Profit Arts/Cultural/Environmental Organizations of New England. Mass Audubon employees also enjoy 12 paid holidays (holidays may shift annually due to where days fall within calendar).
September –June: Monday through Friday 8:00am -4:00pm, 40 hours weekly.
July-August: 5 hours per week
Employees must successfully complete a CORI and SORI Background Check and a Motor Vehicle Record (if applicable) is required.
Mass Audubon requires that all staff, regardless of their work location, disclose their vaccination status. Proof of vaccination status will be required immediately upon hire. This should also include a booster shot if it has been 5 months since you were initially vaccinated.
Mass Audubon's Commitment To Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Justice
Mass Audubon's mission is to "protect the nature of Massachusetts for people and for wildlife" by building a strong coalition of employees, volunteers, and community members. We recognize that the environmental movement and field of conservation have been affected by societal systems that have limited opportunity and access for many people. As a result, Mass Audubon is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. We are engaged in an ongoing process of organizational assessment and change, designed to remove barriers and create a workplace where all forms of diversity are recognized and valued.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Mass Audubon is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. Mass Audubon prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
How To Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to: