Day Camp Counselor
Norfolk, MA, United States
27 days ago
Location: * Norfolk, MA*
Sanctuary: * Stony Brook*
About Mass Audubon
Mass Audubon is the largest nature-based conservation organization in New England. Founded in 1896 by two women who fought for the protection of birds, Mass Audubon carries on their legacy by focusing on the greatest challenges facing the environment today: the loss of biodiversity, inequitable access to nature, and climate change. With the help of our 140,000 members and supporters, we protect wildlife, conserve and restore resilient land, advocate for impactful environmental policies, offer nationally recognized education programs for adults and children, and provide endless opportunities to experience the outdoors at our wildlife sanctuaries. Explore, find inspiration, and take action at www.massaudubon.org.
About This Position
Look no further for the best summer job you will ever have! Stony Brook Nature Camp, a Mass Audubon camp, is looking for some outstanding day camp instructors for the summer of 2022! Are you looking for a stimulating and rewarding experience where you can make a difference in a child's life? Then this is the place for you! Have fun exploring our 240-acre sanctuary and the diversity of life found in our ponds, marshes, meadows and forests with small groups of campers ranging in age from 4-14.
Our staff are role models to our campers and committed to the highest possible standards. Join our staff for the opportunity to meet some great kids and colleagues! It is truly is the hardest job you will ever love, and one which will make memories that last a lifetime! Instructors share in all camp activities including the supervision of campers’ health and safety, teach nature-based activities, communication with camp staff and parents, and supervision of high-school aged volunteers. Staff works cooperatively to create age-appropriate lessons, games, and crafts.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Participate in scheduled pre-camp training activities and other training as required;
- Lead small groups of children and adults in “hands-on/minds on” activities, cooperative games, and other outdoor activities, which facilitate natural history learning;
- Assist the Camp Director with day-to-day planning of camper activities and schedules;
- Participate in daily meeting/planning sessions with other staff;
- Gather supplies, prepare materials, and set up program areas, if needed, before each program;
- Keep equipment and supplies clean and in working order; return supplies promptly to storage area(s);
- Protect the physical and emotional welfare of the campers and make independent safety decisions when needed;
- Assume additional related duties as requested.
At Mass Audubon, our highest priority is finding the best candidate for the job. Research has shown that people of color and women are less likely to apply for jobs if they don’t believe they meet every one of the qualifications described in a job description. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our described qualifications or you have a less traditional background. We are looking for applicants with the following qualifications:
- Must be at least 18 years of age or have two years camp experience in a leadership role;
- An interest and general knowledge of natural history and/or education and at least 2 years of experience working with children;
- Ability to relate to a diverse range of people and exercise cultural competence and inclusion;
- Flexible and patient;
- The ability to work both cooperatively and independently;
- Strong communication skills;
- Must have the ability to design and implement nature-based activities including games and crafts;
- Must satisfactorily complete Massachusetts Audubon Society camp counselor orientation program prior to the arrival of campers;
- Current certification in Red Cross Community CPR and First Aid or an equivalent current certification;
- Sense of humor and sense of fun.
Nice to Have’s:
- Preferred applicants are studying or have a degree in a life science or education;
- The ability to design and implement nature-based activities including games and crafts.
Compensation & Benefits
This position’s base salary range is $15 -$15.75/hr; actual salary will reflect level of experience and qualifications relative to position requirements.
This is not a benefits eligible position.
Monday-Friday 8:30 - 4:30, June 20 - August 19 (some flexibility may be granted)
Employees must successfully complete a CORI and SORI Background Check and a Motor Vehicle Record (if applicable) is required.
Mass Audubon requires that all staff, regardless of their work location, disclose their vaccination status. Proof of vaccination status will be required immediately upon hire.
Mass Audubon's Commitment To Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Justice
Mass Audubon's mission is to "protect the nature of Massachusetts for people and for wildlife" by building a strong coalition of employees, volunteers, and community members. We recognize that the environmental movement and field of conservation have been affected by societal systems that have limited opportunity and access for many people. As a result, Mass Audubon is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. We are engaged in an ongoing process of organizational assessment and change, designed to remove barriers and create a workplace where all forms of diversity are recognized and valued.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Mass Audubon is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. Mass Audubon prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
How To Apply
Send Resume and Cover Letter to:
Job Type: Temporary
Pay: $15.00 - $15.75 per hour