Assistant Camp Director
Norfolk, MA, United States
18 days ago
Location: * Norfolk, MA*
Sanctuary: * Stony Brook*
About Mass Audubon
Mass Audubon is the largest nature-based conservation organization in New England. Founded in 1896 by two women who fought for the protection of birds, Mass Audubon carries on their legacy by focusing on the greatest challenges facing the environment today: the loss of biodiversity, inequitable access to nature, and climate change. With the help of our 140,000 members and supporters, we protect wildlife, conserve and restore resilient land, advocate for impactful environmental policies, offer nationally recognized education programs for adults and children, and provide endless opportunities to experience the outdoors at our wildlife sanctuaries. Explore, find inspiration, and take action at www.massaudubon.org.
About This Position
Camp at Stony Brook is an exciting outdoor adventure for children. We strive to educate children about ecology so that they will be motivated and empowered to maintaining a healthy environment for generations to come. Activities are carefully planned to meet these goals and, at the same time, create fun and memorable experiences.
Stony Brook Nature Camp is currently looking for a confident, energetic individual to round out our 2022 staff team. Our camp currently has an opening for an Assistant Camp Director. This position works closely with the Camp Director to oversee camp operations; provides guidance, instruction and supervision of campers and Camp Counselors and works directly with teen campers participating in our leadership programming, a multi-year curriculum designed to prepare the next generation of camp counselors.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Supervise and develop Counselor-Instructor staff under the direct guidance of the Camp Director;
- Provide oversight to full camp in the absence of the Camp Director;
- Lead, motivate and evaluate staff in a positive environment;
- Abide by and enforce camp policies;
- Participate in daily meeting/planning sessions with other staff;
- Protect the physical and emotional welfare of the campers and make independent safety decisions when needed.
- Participate in scheduled pre-camp training activities and other training as required;
- Work with the Camp Director with development of CIT and LIT programs, also with day-to-day planning of camper activities and schedules;
- Establish clear and concise goals for the program and update CIT manuals;
- Lead groups in “hands-on/minds on” activities, cooperative games, and other outdoor activities, which facilitate natural history learning.
Marketing, Public/Community Relations:
- Write daily camp newsletter
- Gather supplies, prepare materials, and set up program areas, if needed, before each program;
- Keep equipment and supplies clean and in working order; return supplies promptly to storage area(s);
- Assume additional related duties as requested.
At Mass Audubon, our highest priority is finding the best candidate for the job. Research has shown that people of color and women are less likely to apply for jobs if they don’t believe they meet every one of the qualifications described in a job description. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our described qualifications or you have a less traditional background. We are looking for applicants with the following qualifications:
- Must be at least 21 years of age at date of hire;
- Valid Driver’s License;
- Experience working with children in a camp or school environment;
- Interest and general knowledge of natural history and/or education and at least 2 years of experience working with children;
- Ability to relate to a diverse range of people and exercise cultural competence and inclusion;
- Flexible and patient;
- The ability to work both cooperatively and independently;
- Strong communication skills;
- Must satisfactorily complete Massachusetts Audubon Society camp counselor orientation program prior to the arrival of campers;
- Current certification in Red Cross Community CPR and First Aid or an equivalent current certification.
Nice to Have’s:
- Experience working with children with special needs;
- Interest and or experience working with teens in group setting.
Compensation & Benefits
This position’s base salary range is $18-$18.50/hr; actual salary will reflect level of experience and qualifications relative to position requirements.
This is not a benefits eligible position.
Monday-Friday 8:30 - 4:30, June 20 - August 19 (some flexibility may be granted)
Employees must successfully complete a CORI and SORI Background Check and a Motor Vehicle Record (if applicable) is required.
Mass Audubon requires that all staff, regardless of their work location, disclose their vaccination status. Proof of vaccination status will be required immediately upon hire.
Mass Audubon's Commitment To Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Justice
Mass Audubon's mission is to "protect the nature of Massachusetts for people and for wildlife" by building a strong coalition of employees, volunteers, and community members. We recognize that the environmental movement and field of conservation have been affected by societal systems that have limited opportunity and access for many people. As a result, Mass Audubon is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. We are engaged in an ongoing process of organizational assessment and change, designed to remove barriers and create a workplace where all forms of diversity are recognized and valued.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Mass Audubon is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. Mass Audubon prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
How To Apply
Send Resume and Cover Letter to:
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $18.00 - $18.50 per hour