Visitor Services and Weekend Supervisor
Newburyport, MA, United States
16 days ago
Sanctuary: Joppa Flats
About Mass Audubon
Mass Audubon is the largest nature-based conservation organization in New England. Founded in 1896 by two women who fought for the protection of birds, Mass Audubon carries on their legacy by focusing on the greatest challenges facing the environment today: the loss of biodiversity, inequitable access to nature, and climate change. With the help of our 140,000 members and supporters, we protect wildlife, conserve and restore resilient land, advocate for impactful environmental policies, offer nationally recognized education programs for adults and children, and provide endless opportunities to experience the outdoors at our wildlife sanctuaries. Explore, find inspiration, and take action at www.massaudubon.org.
About This Position
Joppa Flats Education Center, located on the banks of the Merrimack River and the road to Plum Island and the Parker River National Wildlife Refuge, seeks Weekend Supervisors to manage visitor services on weekends and Monday holidays. The purpose of this position is to be responsible for the operations of Joppa Flats when it is open to the public and full-time staff are not present. This chiefly means overseeing front desk activities and staffing the gift shop, with help from volunteers.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Greet and provide information to members, visitors, and guests regarding visitor center, birding opportunities and locations, programs, and Mass Audubon in general.
- Answer phone calls and provide general information, guidance, and direction; manage wildlife questions as needed.
- Assist with program registrations.
- Update visitor signage, brochures, and bulletin board information.
- Understand and promote membership opportunities.
- Use a Point of Sale system and credit card machine for shop sales.
- Serve as primary communication point-of-contact in case of emergency per standing policies and procedures.
- Handle opening and closing procedures including end-of-day POS sales tallying.
- Work cooperatively with visitor services volunteers.
- Attend meetings and trainings when requested.
- Communicate with full-time staff regarding information updates, visitation reports, etc.
- Make sure building and grounds are safe, clean, and available to guests.
- Occasionally assist during special events.
- Other duties as required.
At Mass Audubon, our highest priority is finding the best candidate for the job. Research has shown that people of color and women are less likely to apply for jobs if they don't believe they meet every one of the qualifications described in a job description. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our described qualifications or you have a less traditional background. We are looking for applicants with the following qualifications:
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Background in natural history and/or environmental issues.
- Office skills including computer, copier, and phone system.
- Organized with strong time management, written, and verbal communication skills.
- A demonstrated ability to work well with other staff, volunteers, and community representatives as well as independently when necessary.
- CPR/First Aid Certification or willingness to get certification.
- Ability to relate to a diverse range of people and exercise cultural competence and inclusion.
Nice to Have’s:
- Retail experience
Compensation & Benefits
This position’s base salary range is $18.00 - $18.61 per hour; actual salary will reflect level of experience and qualifications relative to position requirements.
This is a year-round position and earns vacation time as well as receives paid holidays.
Saturdays, Sundays, and Monday holidays, 8:15 am-4:15 pm
Ideally, this position will be shared between two people.
Employees must successfully complete a CORI and SORI Background Check and a Motor Vehicle Record (if applicable) is required.
Mass Audubon requires that all staff, regardless of their work location, disclose their vaccination status. Proof of vaccination status will be required immediately upon hire. This should also include a booster shot if it has been 5 months since you were initially vaccinated.
Mass Audubon's Commitment To Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Justice
Mass Audubon's mission is to "protect the nature of Massachusetts for people and for wildlife" by building a strong coalition of employees, volunteers, and community members. We recognize that the environmental movement and field of conservation have been affected by societal systems that have limited opportunity and access for many people. As a result, Mass Audubon is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. We are engaged in an ongoing process of organizational assessment and change, designed to remove barriers and create a workplace where all forms of diversity are recognized and valued.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Mass Audubon is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. Mass Audubon prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
How To Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to: