Milton, MA, United States
30+ days ago
Location: * Milton, MA*
Sanctuary: * Blue Hills Trailside Museum , Moose Hill , Stony Brook , Museum of American Bird Art*
About Mass Audubon
Mass Audubon is the largest nature-based conservation organization in New England. Founded in 1896 by two women who fought for the protection of birds, Mass Audubon carries on their legacy by focusing on the greatest challenges facing the environment today: the loss of biodiversity, inequitable access to nature, and climate change. With the help of our 140,000 members and supporters, we protect wildlife, conserve and restore resilient land, advocate for impactful environmental policies, offer nationally recognized education programs for adults and children, and provide endless opportunities to experience the outdoors at our wildlife sanctuaries. Explore, find inspiration, and take action at www.massaudubon.org.
About This Position
This position serves all four sanctuaries within the Metro South region but is based out of Blue Hills in Milton, MA. Regional Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for organizing and managing the volunteer program for the Metro South region while working closely with the Operations Manager and the Statewide Volunteer Program Coordinator.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Recruits, screens, interviews, and places volunteers in support roles throughout the region.
- Works directly with department supervisors to support their volunteer needs; including development of volunteer job descriptions and project needs for individuals and groups.
- Responsible for on-boarding new volunteers: processes and stores volunteer applications, runs CORI/SORI background checks, disseminates training materials, and provides volunteer name tags and field dress when applicable.
- Coordinates with businesses, community groups, and others interested in volunteering; including managing outreach, communication, and potential donations.
- Maintains data on volunteers including schedules, hours, years of service, general information; while utilizing Mass Audubon’s volunteer management database system.
- Coordinates and organizes volunteer recognition and supports volunteer groups and individuals.
- Coordinates communication and community building for regional volunteers.
- Evaluates volunteer progress and satisfaction.
- Participates in courses, workshops, and other events for professional development within and outside Mass Audubon.
- Works with Mass Audubon’s Statewide Volunteer Program Coordinator: participates in volunteer coordinator meetings, submits annual reports when required, requests and communicates volunteer group needs, and coordinates participation in Mass Audubon’s annual Statewide Volunteer Day.
- Assists Operations Manager with administrative tasks related to the visitor services operation and acts as a resource for visitor services staff. Some tasks may include:
- Training support for visitor services staff
- Coordinating with Operations Manager on coverage between visitor services staff and volunteers
- Assisting with registrations and payments in OPR
- Participates in other administrative tasks within Operations department as required.
At Mass Audubon, our highest priority is finding the best candidate for the job. Research has shown that people of color and women are less likely to apply for jobs if they don't believe they meet every one of the qualifications described in a job description. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our described qualifications or you have a less traditional background. We are looking for applicants with the following qualifications:
- Experience working with and managing volunteer groups and individuals.
- Human Resource related experience: running background checks, storing personal information, recruiting, screening, and placing volunteers.
- Knowledge of planning and delivering volunteer trainings.
- Excellent organizational ability while multi-tasking.
- Strong communication and human relations management skills.
- Ability to work both collaboratively and independently.
- Ability to work with a diverse range of people while exercising cultural competence and inclusion.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office programs and willingness to learn Mass Audubon’s Volunteer Management database system.
Compensation & Benefits
This position’s base salary range is $21.25 - $23.65 per hour; actual salary will reflect level of experience and qualifications relative to position requirements.
Benefits and Perks:
Benefits eligible staff at Mass Audubon may elect to enroll in medical, dental, and vision plans. Mass Audubon also offers disability and life insurance plans, a retirement plan through MetLife, and Flexible Spending Account options. Mass Audubon employment also includes access to an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and the Reciprocity Agreement through the Consortium of Non-Profit Arts/Cultural/Environmental Organizations of New England. Mass Audubon employees also enjoy 12.5 paid holidays (holidays may shift annually due to where days fall within calendar).
Tuesday-Saturday, 40 hours/week. Flexibility to shift schedule when managing volunteer events.
Employees must successfully complete a CORI and SORI Background Check and a Motor Vehicle Record (if applicable) is required.
Mass Audubon requires that all staff, regardless of their work location, disclose their vaccination status. Proof of vaccination status will be required immediately upon hire.
Mass Audubon's Commitment To Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Justice
Mass Audubon's mission is to "protect the nature of Massachusetts for people and for wildlife" by building a strong coalition of employees, volunteers, and community members. We recognize that the environmental movement and field of conservation have been affected by societal systems that have limited opportunity and access for many people. As a result, Mass Audubon is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. We are engaged in an ongoing process of organizational assessment and change, designed to remove barriers and create a workplace where all forms of diversity are recognized and valued.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Mass Audubon is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. Mass Audubon prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
How To Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to:
Christine Rohrer, Operations Manager
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $21.25 - $23.65 per hour