Lincoln, MA, United States
30+ days ago
Sanctuary: Drumlin Farm
About Mass Audubon
Mass Audubon is the largest nature-based conservation organization in New England. Founded in 1896 by two women who fought for the protection of birds, Mass Audubon carries on their legacy by focusing on the greatest challenges facing the environment today: the loss of biodiversity, inequitable access to nature, and climate change. With the help of our 140,000 members and supporters, we protect wildlife, conserve and restore resilient land, advocate for impactful environmental policies, offer nationally recognized education programs for adults and children, and provide endless opportunities to experience the outdoors at our wildlife sanctuaries. Explore, find inspiration, and take action at www.massaudubon.org.
About This Position
The Shop Sales Associate performs the day-to-day duties to ensure customers have a positive visit to the Mass Audubon Shop and Drumlin Farm. The Sales Associate is specifically responsible for greeting visitors/customers when they enter the store or call on the phone, providing information/answering questions about the store, merchandise, Drumlin Farm, Mass Audubon, and membership, assisting visitors in finding products, processing sales transactions, and restocking.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Handle opening and closing procedures.
- Greet and provide information to members, visitors, and guests regarding the shop, Drumlin Farm, and Mass Audubon.
- Answer phone calls and provide information or transfer to the correct department.
- Actively engage with the customers: showing products, brainstorming to find the right items or helpful add-on products.
- Process sales and returns at the POS.
- Take special orders request from customers and give to buyer.
- Keep informed of the current inventory; restock merchandise, and alert buyer to low inventory.
- Invite every visitor to join Mass Audubon and inform them of the many benefits of being a member.
- Keep the shop and displays clean and orderly. Vacuum, dust, sweep, and empty trash as needed.
- Assist Shop Receiver and Buyers to receive and price merchandise as requested.
- Keep point of sales areas stocked in supplies and clean and tidy.
- Participate in preparation for and attend physical inventory twice a year.
- Work on special events or projects as requested.
At Mass Audubon, our highest priority is finding the best candidate for the job. Research has shown that people of color and women are less likely to apply for jobs if they don't believe they meet every one of the qualifications described in a job description. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our described qualifications or you have a less traditional background. We are looking for applicants with the following qualifications:
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Excellent people skills and enthusiasm for a team working environment
- Strong verbal communications skills.
- Strong desire to achieve results in meeting sales goals and demonstrate ability to effectively promote goods and services.
- Ability to work well with other staff, as well as independently when necessary.
- Ability to relate to a diverse range of people and exercise cultural competence and inclusion.
- Ability to remain professional when interacting with a demanding customer.
Nice to Have’s:
- Previous Sales or Customer Service experience preferred.
- Office skills include computer, copier, phone operation.
Compensation & Benefits
This position’s base salary range is $15.25 - $17.00; actual salary will reflect level of experience and qualifications relative to position requirements.
This is a year-round position and earns vacation time as well as receives paid holidays.
14-16 hours a week, as needed. Two days a week, including one weekend day.
Employees must successfully complete a CORI and SORI Background Check and a Motor Vehicle Record (if applicable) is required.
Mass Audubon requires that all staff, regardless of their work location, disclose their vaccination status. Proof of vaccination status will be required immediately upon hire.
Mass Audubon's Commitment To Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Justice
Mass Audubon's mission is to "protect the nature of Massachusetts for people and for wildlife" by building a strong coalition of employees, volunteers, and community members. We recognize that the environmental movement and field of conservation have been affected by societal systems that have limited opportunity and access for many people. As a result, Mass Audubon is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. We are engaged in an ongoing process of organizational assessment and change, designed to remove barriers and create a workplace where all forms of diversity are recognized and valued.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Mass Audubon is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. Mass Audubon prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
How To Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to: