About Mass Audubon
Mass Audubon is the largest nature-based conservation organization in New England. Founded in 1896 by two women who fought for the protection of birds, Mass Audubon carries on their legacy by focusing on the greatest challenges facing the environment today: the loss of biodiversity, inequitable access to nature, and climate change. With the help of our 160,000 members and supporters, we protect wildlife, conserve and restore resilient land, advocate for impactful environmental policies, offer nationally recognized education programs for adults and children, and provide endless opportunities to experience the outdoors at our wildlife sanctuaries. Explore, find inspiration, and take action at massaudubon.org.
About This Position
Mas Audubon is dedicated to taking action to protect the nature of Massachusetts through land protection, on-the-ground restoration, world-class educational programs, and policy and advocacy work. To fulfill our mission, we engage people of all backgrounds - meaningfully and respectfully - throughout our organization and we are committed to advancing the principles of diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice.
Mass Audubon is seeking an energetic, high-achieving Executive Assistant to the President to support an ambitious agenda to protect the nature of Massachusetts.
Mass Audubon adopted its ambitious Action Agenda in March 2021, setting the direction and priorities for the organization over the next five years. The Executive Assistant will support the President in a wide variety of organizational and administrative matters, and also serve as a liaison to the Board of Directors, the Mass Audubon Council, and other key constituent groups. Some of these tasks may be complex or confidential in nature.
- Coordinate, organize, and supervise Board of Directors and Executive Committee meetings
- Prepare and distribute Board and Executive Committee meeting packets and briefing materials, and prepare presentations as needed
- Record and distribute minutes of Board of Directors and Executive Committee meetings
- Manage and coordinate vendors for food, flowers, and rentals
- Maintain corporate files of Minutes of Executive Committee and Board of Directors meetings as required by law
- Certify votes and other legal matters as required
- Serve as the liaison with staff, Board of Directors, and Council and provide information about and access to Board of Directors for other staff as needed
- Plan, organize, and attend all Board of Directors functions, including vendor management and coordination
- Prepare and distribute background information about Mass Audubon to the Board of Directors and to others as requested
- Prepare the Board of Directors budgets for President review and final approval
- Manage budget for Board of Directors
President’s Office Responsibilities
- Manage and oversee President's schedule, including coordinating travel arrangements for the President and other Executive Team members
- Support President by preparing background information, briefings, and other meeting-related materials
- Plan, supervise, or attend social events and functions emanating from the President's Office, including vendor management and coordination; events and functions range from small professional networking dinners to internal staff events as well as to larger functions, like Mass Audubon’s Annual Meeting
- Prepare President's Office budget for President review and final approval
- Oversee and manage budget for President's Office and monitor President's Contingency Fund
- Act as liaison with Mass Audubon members and the general public
- File state forms annually as required by law
- Assist President in all communications, for example, email drafting, personal cards, gift purchases, etc.
At Mass Audubon, our highest priority is finding the best candidate for the job. Research has shown that people of color and women are less likely to apply for jobs if they don’t believe they meet every one of the qualifications described in a job description. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our described qualifications or you have a less traditional background. We are looking for applicants with the following qualifications:
- At least five years of related experience, including office management, event and meeting coordination, and scheduling
- The ability to promote, embrace, and respect ethnic, cultural, physical, intellectual, and linguistic diversity
- Personal passion for Mass Audubon’s mission
- A growth mindset and desire to solve problems innovatively
- Strong attention to detail and ability to multi-task
- Excellent time-management skills
- An ability to work well independently and as part of a larger extended team
- Experience managing vendor contracts and coordination for events and functions
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Confidence and capability to work with the Chief of Staff to manage up - keeping the President organized.
- Proactive nature and ability to anticipate and preemptively address areas of concern
- Experience supporting Executive or senior-level staff
- Experience working with and supporting a Board of Directors
- Experience designing attractive donor information packets and PowerPoint presentations
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
This position’s base salary range is $65,000 - $80,000; actual salary will reflect level of experience and qualifications relative to position requirements. Includes full benefits package.
Benefits eligible staff at Mass Audubon may elect to enroll in medical, dental, and vision plans. Mass Audubon also offers disability and life insurance plans, a retirement plan through MetLife, and Flexible Spending Account options. Mass Audubon employment also includes access to an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and the Reciprocity Agreement through the Consortium of Non-Profit Arts/Cultural/Environmental Organizations of New England. Mass Audubon employees also enjoy 12 paid holidays (holidays may shift annually due to where days fall within calendar).
This position is 40 hours per week Monday-Friday; occasional evening and weekend hours may be needed. This position will need to work from the office in Lincoln at least 2-3 days a week, with the remaining days remote-optional.
Employees must successfully complete a CORI and SORI Background Check and a Motor Vehicle Record (if applicable) is required.
Mass Audubon’s Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Justice
Mass Audubon embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are dedicated to forming a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Mass Audubon’s mission is to “protect the nature of Massachusetts for people and for wildlife” by building a strong coalition of employees, volunteers, and community members. We recognize that the environmental movement and field of conservation have been affected by societal systems that have limited opportunity and access for many people. As a result, Mass Audubon is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. We are engaged in an ongoing process of organizational assessment and change, designed to remove barriers and create a workplace where all forms of diversity are recognized and valued.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Mass Audubon is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. Mass Audubon prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
- Health insurance