Coastal Waterbird Program Field Assistant
Lincoln, MA, United States
7 days ago
About Mass Audubon
Mass Audubon is the largest nature-based conservation organization in New England. Founded in 1896 by two women who fought for the protection of birds, Mass Audubon carries on their legacy by focusing on the greatest challenges facing the environment today: the loss of biodiversity, inequitable access to nature, and climate change. With the help of our 160,000 members and supporters, we protect wildlife, conserve and restore resilient land, advocate for impactful environmental policies, offer nationally recognized education programs for adults and children, and provide endless opportunities to experience the outdoors at our wildlife sanctuaries.
About This Position
Mass Audubon is seeking to fill Field Assistant positions to support the research, monitoring, management, and protection of coastal birds and other natural resources. Field Assistants will be mentored by Mass Audubon staff in the monitoring and management of Piping Plovers, Least and Common Terns, and American Oystercatchers.
Multiple positions based at:
- Long Pasture Wildlife Sanctuary, Barnstable MA (covering field sites in Cape Cod, Boston, Wareham, and the North Shore)
- Allens Pond Wildlife Sanctuary, Dartmouth MA (covering field sites Westport to Dartmouth)
- Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary, Wellfleet MA (covering field sites Truro to Chatham)
- Lost Farm Wildlife Sanctuary, Nantucket, MA, and Felix Neck Wildlife Sanctuary, Edgartown MA (covering field sites on the Islands: Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket)
- South Shore Sanctuaries, Marshfield MA (covering field sites from Plymouth to Hull)
- South Beach, Chatham (*note this position requires living in a remote camp setting on a barrier beach)
Further details on specific monitored regions will be discussed at the time of the interview.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Collect biological data on nesting, foraging, and migrating species of coastal waterbirds including abundance and distribution of target species
- Accomplish the wildlife management, protection, and education objectives of the Coastal Waterbird Program
- Assist with sanctuary-based Coastal Waterbird Program staff throughout the region
- Assist in compilation of data for state plover, tern, and oystercatcher census forms and write summary reports for specific sites on results and management activities
- Conduct research on special projects as directed
- Other tasks as directed
At Mass Audubon, our highest priority is finding the best candidate for the job. Research has shown that people of color and women are less likely to apply for jobs if they don't believe they meet every one of the qualifications described in a job description. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our described qualifications or you have a less traditional background. We are looking for applicants with the following qualifications:
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age and have a strong interest in wildlife management and conservation biology
- Applicants should have good communication (oral, written) skills
- Must be able to work long hours outside in all weather conditions and be able to lift and carry up to 40lbs across varied and sandy terrain
- Must be willing to work weekends, holidays, and irregular hours (dependent upon wildlife and weather)
- Must have access to a vehicle for daily driving between sites
- Preference will be given to applicants pursuing a career/degree in wildlife biology/management, ecology, zoology, environmental science, biology, or related field
Compensation & Benefits
This position’s base salary range is $15.00 per hour; actual salary will reflect level of experience and qualifications relative to position requirements. This is not a benefits eligible position.
Variable hours and schedule due to weather and site-specific requirements. Typically 35 hours per week, including work on weekends and holidays, 8am-4pm.
Employees must successfully complete a CORI and SORI Background Check and a Motor Vehicle Record (if applicable) is required.
Mass Audubon requires that all staff, regardless of their work location, disclose their vaccination status. Proof of vaccination status will be required immediately upon hire. This should also include a booster shot if it has been 5 months since you were initially vaccinated.
Mass Audubon's Commitment To Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Justice
Mass Audubon's mission is to "protect the nature of Massachusetts for people and for wildlife" by building a strong coalition of employees, volunteers, and community members. We recognize that the environmental movement and field of conservation have been affected by societal systems that have limited opportunity and access for many people. As a result, Mass Audubon is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. We are engaged in an ongoing process of organizational assessment and change, designed to remove barriers and create a workplace where all forms of diversity are recognized and valued.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Mass Audubon is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. Mass Audubon prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
How To Apply
Please apply on ADP Workforce Now: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=6044bc19-19e6-443a-8a51-62fe8af33798&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=450058&lang=en_US&source=EN.
Please include a cover letter (specify position(s) for which you are applying and dates of availability), resume, and list of three references with your ADP application. Label your resume and cover letter with your first and last name.
In addition, please complete a short cover page questionnaire at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/F7SKJBS. Your application will not be processed without completion of the items above. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as interviews will begin in January and positions will be filled by May 8, 2023.